certified members area..?? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : certified members area..??

badboy2451
03-18-2005, 08:21 PM
maybe have a members area where only people with over a 100 posts or sumthin can get into so that there wont be any newbies postin in there with reposts and stuff...anybody else want to chime in with some suggestions like this??

im just tryin to make it easier for the old heads that dont want to here all the newbs

UNCTYPE-S
03-18-2005, 09:32 PM
so split up the forum and make duplicates of each section? one for the newbs and one for the people over 100 posts? sorry, but its not gonna happen. i can garuntee it.

Clyde
03-18-2005, 10:11 PM
Ok -- I'll buy that. **BUT** those of you with over 100+ posts cant have access to our little area. to post or even read. you cant give us new people any advice, answer our questions, buy or more importantly try to sell us your stuff. We dont want to see your pics, hear about your mods, read about recalls <cause we're just new here and dont care to learn anything>
sounds fair to me cause thats what you wanna do to the newbs right?

badboy2451
03-19-2005, 02:46 AM
im not tryin to be a **** or anything, and not have an exact duplicate of the site...just a select few forum that would be used for the more educated people to talk about what is wrong with their cars (ex: headers, maf, lim, uim) just stuff that normally wouldn't be known to as a newbie

maybe just like a new section, and you can just post all the apperance performance and suspension stuff in it...is this makin any sense to anyone else???

atc3434
03-19-2005, 10:45 AM
If you remove the old heads from the newbies, then you'll never educate the newbies. Thats not what this site needs. A little tolerance for commonly asked questions would go a long way. I usually respond with something about using the search button, but then proceed to answer their query. (Query - ladies man.... ;) )

I think what would be really helpful, and maybe a few of you want to jump onboard with this, is we need to make a big FAQ and host it up somewhere on GAGT.com I'd be willing to work on some of it, maybe get a few more dudes onboard, split up the work, and we'd have nice little guide to point people in the direction of when they have some basic questions. Thoughts, anybody?

CruzinGT33
03-19-2005, 12:28 PM
I could see doing a over 1,000 section, but def. not a 100+.

Clyde
03-20-2005, 06:41 AM
Ok heres a thought. say a guy <or gal> who has been a GM mechanic for 20+ years decides one day to check out this site. being a newb they cant get to any of this ""blocked"" area.

are you gonna tell me that an 18 or 19 year old who has 500 posts here knows more about headers, or exhaust, or the best CAI to use than this certified mechanic? And we shouldnt let this new person answer any questions that even the experianced posters have?

balludc
03-20-2005, 10:42 AM
it will create more post whoring for those wanting in the "forbidden" section(s). this is a public website, theres no need to make anything private (except for a moderator/admin section).

-dc

98GrandAmSE
03-21-2005, 08:28 PM
well, i can see if people cant post in it, but i think anyone should be able to read it.

Clyde
03-21-2005, 11:28 PM
Ummm ... why have no mods jumped in here to let us know how they feel??

badboy2451
03-22-2005, 12:59 AM
well, i can see if people cant post in it, but i think anyone should be able to read it.

good idea mann

Jeremy
03-22-2005, 01:01 PM
it ain't gonna happen. use the search button or look at the stickies that are already there. tons of usefull info there already. no need to segregate the forum into "Newbies" and Old Know It All's.

2002GT
03-22-2005, 01:36 PM
100+ posts... your kidding man... you been here 6 months and think you need a special memebers area hahaha

badboy2451
03-22-2005, 02:25 PM
uh oo, excuse me mr 3000 for makin a suggestion

Jeremy
03-22-2005, 04:01 PM
uh oo, excuse me mr 3000 for makin a suggestion

relax... jeesh

lucky13rme
03-22-2005, 05:32 PM
Well, this idea isn't what I thought it was from the title. It sounded like it was gonna be to add a section for the paying premium members where they have little louge area that only they can access.

UNCTYPE-S
03-22-2005, 10:22 PM
if something similar were to ever happen (which i highly doubt), never go by post count, go by the joined date. you could be someone who replies to everything in site with like 1500 posts and has just joined like 2 months ago.

badboy2451
03-22-2005, 10:32 PM
if something similar were to ever happen (which i highly doubt), never go by post count, go by the joined date. you could be someone who replies to everything in site with like 1500 posts and has just joined like 2 months ago.

^^^^
agreed, i wasn't sayin that we had to do things my way, i was just throwing an idea out and looking for some input

DjSylentMystyk
03-23-2005, 08:10 AM
It all sounds rather elitist to me, whereas public information forums shouldn't be that way, I can understand the paying members area, which might even drive up revenue for the site to eliminate some of the costs or at least subsidize to get neat-o mosquito cool flash thingies or something. BTW, just because I'm a newbie, Whats a header?!
(No one needs to respond to that, I was just making light of the situation)

grandam01
03-24-2005, 03:25 PM
i see what he is saying but, yes it would be elitist, all that should be done is being done, i see the posts on how newbs should use the "search" button. and really guys/gals there is no need to get all mad at people here, we all have opinions and opinions are like @$$holes everyone has them and they all stink. :) just my $.02