coolant leak..need help [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : coolant leak..need help

badboy2451
03-19-2005, 08:59 PM
aight guys, well i seached and couldn't really find the thread that i was looking for...

i was drivin to work today, and when i parked, i noticed smoke commin from under the hood, so i popped it and noticed coolent all over the left side of the engine, it was covering my belt along with other things.

while looking, i noticed that it was dripping out really fast almost like a busted line, yet i couldn't find one, all i noticed was that most of it was puddled by the lower serpertine wheel(which i think is the water pump)

question is, if the water pump goes out, would it cause the coolant to completely drain within abour 5 minutes??

puckyou
03-19-2005, 11:53 PM
Have you had the LIM replaced yet? Don't know if the leak in the gasket can get so bad that the coolant spurts out.....

badboy2451
03-20-2005, 12:11 AM
i bought it with 43000 and im not sure if it has had it replaced or not...it just seemed like a line bust with how fast it was comming out, majority seemed to be by the water pump

Grandizzol
03-20-2005, 12:36 AM
if your leaking coolant at that rate, and you can't find a busted line, maybe its comming from your radiator, thats what happened to me with my GA, my fan got alittle to close to the radiator, and cut threw 3 of the vains, I pulled mine out myself, and got a guy to rebuild a used one (mine was too damaged) then put it in myself, so I got off paying less then $100.

badboy2451
03-20-2005, 10:54 AM
well i went and got it home today, after i refilled the tank so i guess it wasn't leaking as bad as it thought. I was looking over it, and it if were to look in by passangers side wheel well, i can see the coolent running down the frame by the pulley on the bottom

im hopin this is just the water pump, anybody have some input??

99GApunk
03-20-2005, 03:22 PM
when this happened to my chevy beretta with the 3.4 swap. my low coolent light came on and by the time i pulled into a gas station i was almost out, i poored some in and it came out right before my eyes.

had the 'heater core' i think it was called replaced for 300 bucks or somethin. (this was a while ago so i may not recall correctly). anyways it sucked i dont know if thats what the problem is here but i figured id give another option

badboy2451
03-20-2005, 11:18 PM
well i think it is the water pump, im showing a lot of the symptoms so im goin to replace it tomorrow...

im goin off of silverbullet00's how to thread and it looks pretty simple, wonderin if anyone has any other things i should know before i do this in the morning?