Power windows [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Power windows

pico
03-20-2005, 08:37 AM
My driver side power window switch has begun to go out on me..or at least I think so. Along with the motor making unusual noises.
When I press the switch to roll down the driver side window, I have to press and hold the switch down for like 15-20 seconds before it even responds. And even then, that may not always work. Sometimes I have to keep clicking it down over and over until the motor finally decides to move. When I try rolling it up, theres no problems at all. Rolls up fine...with the execption of those noises coming from what I think is the motor.

I have a factory extended warranty on my GAGT, but it doesn't cover power windows or things like that. So is there a way for myself to find out what it is exactly?
Does it sound like it could just be the motor? Or both the motor and switch?
And about how much is it gonna cost me to have it fixed. Is it something I can do myself or should I leave it to a professional?

Oh, and the switch seems to respond a lot easier when it's warmer out...if that helps any.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you.

action
03-21-2005, 11:33 AM
Try another switch set from a scrap yard first.

pico
03-21-2005, 11:12 PM
Yeah, I think I'll do that this weekend.

dahvaio
03-22-2005, 10:15 PM
I had a similiar issue but stupid me... I purchased a door switch and then realized that it was the window regulator/motor....

The power window switch takes less than 5 minutes to swap out... Just use a Flat Head screw driver and pry the switch up... Unplug the 4 cables and your done....

As for replacing the window... I've done it 3 times in the past several months and it is actually really easy to do. I purchased a new window reg and motor for $65 shipped to my door and took about 20 minutes to replace....

Just remember, if you are going to replace the window motor, it is best if the window is only rolled up about a quarter of the way up because there are 2 bolts that you will need to access.

Let me know if you have any questions....

pico
03-22-2005, 11:13 PM
I had a similiar issue but stupid me... I purchased a door switch and then realized that it was the window regulator/motor....

The power window switch takes less than 5 minutes to swap out... Just use a Flat Head screw driver and pry the switch up... Unplug the 4 cables and your done....

As for replacing the window... I've done it 3 times in the past several months and it is actually really easy to do. I purchased a new window reg and motor for $65 shipped to my door and took about 20 minutes to replace....

Just remember, if you are going to replace the window motor, it is best if the window is only rolled up about a quarter of the way up because there are 2 bolts that you will need to access.

Let me know if you have any questions....

Well if thats the case, then I might as well go ahead and do that too while I'm changing the switch out.
I'm really not too nervous about changing out the reg/motor or anything, I'm just nervous about taking off the inside door panel...I know, lame, but, I've ever done it before with this car and don't even know where to begin. With my other cars, they were nothing special so if I screwed up there was no harm done, ya know?

Any good pointers for taking off the door panel?
If so, then I'll take care of it all this weekend. Well, that is if I can find a reg/motor in that time >_<

Thanks again man, I really appreciate it.

badboy2451
03-22-2005, 11:41 PM
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6910&highlight=removing+door+panel

thats all i could find...jsut use the first part of it

dahvaio
03-23-2005, 11:39 AM
Someone did this write up and it is fairly accurate:
) Take off the tweeter (triangular thing). It is simply clipped on and will come off relatively easily. Pinch inward and pull out.

2) Then proceed to roll down the window ALL THE WAY. This will prevent you from scratching or shattering the window if a tool slips. Next, pop off the window and lock control panel (with a flat-head screw driver) off the door panel (it is simply clipped in with 2 metal tabs on each side to hold it in) to reveal the inside of the door and ONE LARGE SCREW.

3) Start to take off the door panel screws. From what I remember, these are the screws and their locations: (in order) a) Small screw holding in door handle cover. (this removes the protective door handle thing)(the protective thing needs to be removed: simply pull on the handle while slipping the cover out.) b) Large screw under the handle of the door. (this will loosen the whole panel) c) Large screw UNDER the reflector plate on the door. You will have to take off the reflector in order to gain access to this screw. CAUTION: the reflector is VERY fragile and can crack easily. (this will loosen the whole panel) d) Large screw right behind the window controls. (this will disconnect the whole panel from the door itself.

DO NOT TRY TO REMOVE THE PANEL WITHOUT REMOVING ALL THE SCREWS AND THE PROTECTIVE PLATE!!!

4) Electronic Obstacles...yea...kinda hard to explain: Well, first off, the panel will not be able to come off without disconnecting the door control panel. Since you already popped off the window controls, all you need to do is disconnect the adapter that the wires plug into.

5) Now for the hardest part, taking off the door panel itself. The whole panel is held on by white PLASTIC bolts that are ribbed. These bolts can be pretty annoying, but secure the door quite well. First, I started by the tweeter. There should be a small space where you can fit a hand in and start pulling. DO NOT PULL OR TRY TO PULL ALONG THE TOP OF THE DOOR, START YOUR HAND ON THE TOP BY THE TWEETER AND WORK YOUR WAY DOWN TO THE BOTTOM OF THE TWEETER SIDE (while hand still between the panel and the door itself). THEN START PULLING ONCE YOU ARE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE DOOR PANEL. As you work your hand down the door, you might here a sound of breaking plastic, this is what you are looking for. The ribbed bolts are being pulled out of their holes. Eventually, once a majorority of a side is out, it will make it MUCH MUCH easier to pull the remaining bolts out. Once you get the hang of hearing the bolts come out, and you are able to get a bigger grip on the panel, the whole door will eventually POP off. Now that it is popped, lift the panel up and it then should come off cleanly.

pico
03-23-2005, 05:24 PM
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6910&highlight=removing+door+panel

thats all i could find...jsut use the first part of it

Seems easy enough.

Thank you.

pico
03-23-2005, 05:31 PM
Someone did this write up and it is fairly accurate:
) Take off the tweeter (triangular thing). It is simply clipped on and will come off relatively easily. Pinch inward and pull out.

2) Then proceed to roll down the window ALL THE WAY. This will prevent you from scratching or shattering the window if a tool slips. Next, pop off the window and lock control panel (with a flat-head screw driver) off the door panel (it is simply clipped in with 2 metal tabs on each side to hold it in) to reveal the inside of the door and ONE LARGE SCREW.

3) Start to take off the door panel screws. From what I remember, these are the screws and their locations: (in order) a) Small screw holding in door handle cover. (this removes the protective door handle thing)(the protective thing needs to be removed: simply pull on the handle while slipping the cover out.) b) Large screw under the handle of the door. (this will loosen the whole panel) c) Large screw UNDER the reflector plate on the door. You will have to take off the reflector in order to gain access to this screw. CAUTION: the reflector is VERY fragile and can crack easily. (this will loosen the whole panel) d) Large screw right behind the window controls. (this will disconnect the whole panel from the door itself.

DO NOT TRY TO REMOVE THE PANEL WITHOUT REMOVING ALL THE SCREWS AND THE PROTECTIVE PLATE!!!

4) Electronic Obstacles...yea...kinda hard to explain: Well, first off, the panel will not be able to come off without disconnecting the door control panel. Since you already popped off the window controls, all you need to do is disconnect the adapter that the wires plug into.

5) Now for the hardest part, taking off the door panel itself. The whole panel is held on by white PLASTIC bolts that are ribbed. These bolts can be pretty annoying, but secure the door quite well. First, I started by the tweeter. There should be a small space where you can fit a hand in and start pulling. DO NOT PULL OR TRY TO PULL ALONG THE TOP OF THE DOOR, START YOUR HAND ON THE TOP BY THE TWEETER AND WORK YOUR WAY DOWN TO THE BOTTOM OF THE TWEETER SIDE (while hand still between the panel and the door itself). THEN START PULLING ONCE YOU ARE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE DOOR PANEL. As you work your hand down the door, you might here a sound of breaking plastic, this is what you are looking for. The ribbed bolts are being pulled out of their holes. Eventually, once a majorority of a side is out, it will make it MUCH MUCH easier to pull the remaining bolts out. Once you get the hang of hearing the bolts come out, and you are able to get a bigger grip on the panel, the whole door will eventually POP off. Now that it is popped, lift the panel up and it then should come off cleanly.

The sound of plastic breaking will freak me out no matter what :P
This does clear a lot of things up for me though.
I just hope it goes as easy it sounds.

Thanks again!