How do I know my fans are working? how to test [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : How do I know my fans are working? how to test

EBlend
03-20-2005, 09:09 AM
Well my car is messed up, i don't think the fans are working or something.

is it possible to drive the car around every day without it getting very hot (2 marks below center) when the fans are not working?

because every time i drive my car, it stays bellow middle line, if i sit in traffic it climbs up a lil, but if its supper and i am doing some driving around downtown and cathing most lights, my damn engine temp goes up to almost the 3/4 mark. I thought the fans would not let it get that high, but it seems that maybe my fans are not working and i never realized? cuz most of the driving i do is start and go for a while, but when i have to do start go start go downtown on every damn block temp goes up 3/4 of the whole gauge.

is that normal or do i have some sort of a cooling fan issue?

how can i test it? without ofcourse parking my car and seeing if my fans are running, thing is i never hear the damn things running, and right now its kinda cold out so it never gets that hot. If noone has any idea on what to check and such i will have to wait till summer and make it very hot and see myself, just wanted to make sure they are okay before summer starts again

erimar77
03-20-2005, 01:03 PM
leave your car running with the a/c on, the fans should turn on and off as necessary.

iceman
03-20-2005, 03:10 PM
Yep you can flip on the defroster or the AC and it will turn them on...

I remember when I would run my car I'd hear the fans turn on but they really didn't do much for temperature. I had the fan override, I'd turn that on, and that would really help with temp, dropping it down to 200 or below on a very hot day.

Whens the last time you flushed your coolant?

EBlend
03-20-2005, 03:38 PM
i flushed my coolant about 1.5 years ago when i had that dreaded intake leak, so i had refilled all my coolant with a fresh load.

Blackrider
03-21-2005, 12:17 AM
Fan 2 (High speed) wont engage untill 111C witch is pretty much right on the 3/4 mark. I adjusted mine so they come on at 103C

loeber
03-21-2005, 09:52 AM
Blackrider how did you adjusted yours? Powertuner?

Blackrider
03-24-2005, 07:59 PM
Blackrider how did you adjusted yours? Powertuner?
Yeup!