Coolant question [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Coolant question

01gt1
03-21-2005, 05:17 PM
Alright this may seem like a stupid question but my low engine coolant light came on today and I went to check my coolant and the cap WON'T twist off haha. I kept turning it to the left and it would start to twist off then it would not get anywhere. It would just go back right to where I started at the begining. I know it is low.. It's not really bad but I would like to top it up.. Any ides to how I can take it off without damaging anything :whistle:. Has anyone experienced a similar problem?

Thanks alot ahead of time!!

99GApunk
03-21-2005, 11:34 PM
try pushing down as you turn? like a childs safety bottle of pills or something, perhaps that may help

oh and if you notice low coolant again... get it checked asap... i always thought mine was no big deal either

brim
03-22-2005, 09:27 AM
broke 2 caps

yep.. =\

i have nothin for an idea behind it other than a suction issue, too much pressure, the first one i got off but it tore the inside out

the second i had to actually pull off with pliers and rip apart just to get it off, they were that stuck up on there

dahvaio
03-22-2005, 11:10 PM
Must be thing with Pontiacs... I had the same problem about 2 weeks ago.... Mine would spin and then the Top came off....

If you are unscrewing and it is just spinning... then you might have to break the top off. Just pull on it really hard and it should snap free. For me, it just popped off. Once the top cap is off you can use 2 Flat Head screw drivers to lift up the main portion of the cap.

The thing with the cap is that consists of 2 parts and eventually they will come apart...

I paid $16.93 for a new cap...

pico
03-23-2005, 09:34 PM
God I HATE the coolant caps!!! I've broken 2 so far and I'm now on my 3rd one. Good thing I have another one as a spare.

I don't have any advice on how to take them out besides try pushing, and then pulling as you're turning...but I did that and look where it got me.

Stupid Pontiac coolant caps...