someone please help!!! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : someone please help!!!

GrandyGT
03-23-2005, 03:02 PM
ok heres the situation... i have a 98 grand am GT 2.4L with a 5 speed manual transmission. when i start the car it will idle normal for a couple seconds then the engine will surge.. the RPM's will go down to like 300 and almost stall then go back up to 1500, then back to idle.. it does this multiple times. however when i start the car and imediately drive down the road the i will get a couple feet down ther road and the car will almost stall like before. i have read alot of the threads that people have posted and tryed alot of the problems. here is a list of things i have replaced: spark plugs (autolite), coils, air intake sensor, new air filter... also there is no check engine light on either... im really at a lose here, i dont know what to do.. so if anyone has any ideas before i push my car off a cliff let me know, thanks :(

Ronin
03-23-2005, 03:58 PM
i think i cant help you with this but a friend of mine has a volvo v70 turbo and has the same probs. she changed the mass flow senser, the lambda senser and she has been letting the pcm checked, but they dont know yet.

GrandyGT
03-23-2005, 04:42 PM
im not sure, i was told the 2.4L engine didnt have a mass air flow sensor.... i have tryed just about everything and i am getting very frustrated... im almost starting to think that its not worth it..... :(

tjc13
03-23-2005, 09:53 PM
Sounds like a vacuum leak to me. I would double check all of the connections.

I had something similiar happen when my throttle body was not tight against the intake plenum.

Matt95GT
03-24-2005, 09:16 AM
Correct, there is no MAF on a 2.4.

Things to check:
plugs (use AC Delco platinums, always gap correctly too), IDI module and 'boots', IAT, IAC, vacuum leaks, TPS, EGR, O2 sensor.

GrandyGT
03-25-2005, 10:02 PM
well stupid me.... when i replaced the coils i didnt replace the coil housing or the boots.. so i did that the other day. it corrected the problem but it just came back again today on my lunch break :( i did notice though right where the throttle body connects to the air hose (or whatever its called) there it looks as if there is not a good connection....so sunday since i have no family im gonna take it apart again to see if something is not corrected right or something... if anyone has any other ideas please let me know