Oil Consumption [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Oil Consumption

jordanGT
03-25-2005, 06:00 PM
Are there any easy, cheap, quick things to replace to help decrease oil consumption? I throw a low oil light pretty much right at 3,000 miles. The car's about a tank of gas shy of 50,000 miles, which I really don't think is nearly enough that I should be worrying about oil consumption, yet here I sit, worried...By the way, the engine's unmodified (unless you count the K&N drop-in air filter).

tenspeed
03-26-2005, 02:55 AM
Don't wait till the low oil light comes on. Check your level every 1000 miles and top it off if needed.

My '96 2.4L will use a quart every 1000-1500 miles. I found if I use a 10W30 in winter and a 10W40 or 20W50 in summer, it doesn't use oil so much.

ChrisB
04-09-2005, 08:34 AM
Are there any easy, cheap, quick things to replace to help decrease oil consumption? I throw a low oil light pretty much right at 3,000 miles. The car's about a tank of gas shy of 50,000 miles, which I really don't think is nearly enough that I should be worrying about oil consumption, yet here I sit, worried...By the way, the engine's unmodified (unless you count the K&N drop-in air filter).

I just want to throw this out there for you to try, if you are so inclined...I'm not at all a big fan of additives but, reading this reminded me of something that might help. I had a Saab 900 Turbo in beautiful condition and had a head gasket put in by a guy who only works on Saabs and Suburu's...a very very smart guy too, well, cutting to the chase- my Saab used about a quart every 1500 miles or so and I asked your question...he sells this stuff( can't remember the name) and you can't get it over the counter, that costs 35.00 for a 16 ounce can and has microscopic little copper balls suspended in oil. he said, " put it in and call me in about a month". Sure as S***, that Saab never used ANY oil for the next 20,000 miles. Then some chick ran a light and broadsided me. You can look the number up and ask him for the name of the stuff, I'm sure you can get it on the net or something...
FATZINGER PERFORMANCE AUTOMOTIVE- Lebanon, PA

Hope it helps.