BIG leak, not tranny, its the power steering fluid! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : BIG leak, not tranny, its the power steering fluid!

magyver
03-26-2005, 07:03 PM
ok what i thought was red and tranny fluid is now the power steering fluid.. i musta lost a gasket.. went to start my car to drive it out so i could mop up lake red and clean the garage and i couldnt turn the wheel... so anyone know how much to replace a seal for the PS would be? its no where near the pump... its gotta be down by the mechanism... anyone?

magyver
03-27-2005, 08:40 PM
ok, so what i thought was a tranny leak i believe is now a power steering line gone bad do to when i started it i couldnt steer... oh, and the resivoiur is dry... :whistle: .. i guess i didnt know that PS fluid was red... so anyways, its the hard line that goes into the pump via a hard line, not the rubber one... cant realy see where it goes after that untill i jack it up i guess.. anyone ever change this? cause i am in desperate need of doing so...

oh, and what brand are we supposed to use, cuase the stuff i got is oil color, not red like what came in it from the factory...

action
03-28-2005, 11:52 AM
you can just use transmission fluid. Dot 2 or 3 I cant remember, but its written on the bottle if its acceptable for automatic transmissions and power steering systems.

Mendoza
03-13-2006, 06:10 PM
Sorry for bring the thread from the thread but Magrver did you ever figure out how to fix the problem? I am having the same problem with my power steering pump and i can not figure out where the leak is coming from.

laxjax13
03-13-2006, 07:49 PM
my power steering was leaking a week ago. it was the 2 hoses that were old n shotty so i ahd them both replaced under warranty.

brim
03-14-2006, 08:22 AM
pressure hose is shot, you might get it at autozone

i'd check

i forget where it ends, it runs from the pump with metal/rubber parts up until it connects to the line that runs to the rack and pinion i believe.

Hurricane
03-16-2006, 02:39 PM
I've replaced both the pressure line and the reutrn line. Only place I could find the part was at the stealership and they ran $250 and $150 Cdn respectively.

It was a royal PITA to do as they kinda route through a hole in one of the engine mounts if I remember correctly. You'll probably need stubby wrench to get the connection to the rack off. I couldn;t fit a standard length wrench in there.

Also keep a good grip on your wrneches. When working on the connections to the rack you're working right on top of one of the cross memebers which has some holes in the top of it and if you drop a wrench or socket it may fall into the cross member (I'm speaking from experience)

action
03-17-2006, 07:39 AM
I had a garage replace the main pressure line (the one with the cooling loop), it was damp weaping at the junction from solid to flex line. This didnt solve the leak, it was actually leaking at the seal behind the pully right on the pump. Pump would have to be replaced to fix it. In the meantime I put in some power steering fluid sealer & conditioner because I ran out of PS fluid (I was going through 1l every 2-3 days waiting for the pump to come in). To my surprise the leak went away!!! Its been perfect for the last 4 months so I never botherd to replace the pump.