Car shaking at 80 MPH [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Car shaking at 80 MPH

laxjax13
03-26-2005, 09:45 PM
Hello well i just got my GT a few months ago and never took in on the highway.

just recently i got new tires and rims that i installed, and today i thought id max out my car since it was a nice clear straightaway.

anyways once i hit ~70 or 80 i started shaking a little bit, and was scared to move on so i dont cause an accident.

Im not sure if its the tires or do all 2001 Ga Gts begin to shake at that speed ?

jscarano13
03-26-2005, 09:52 PM
start out by typing in what kind of rims and the bolt pattern

dxtreme_85
03-26-2005, 10:18 PM
Loose lug nuts...bent rim...flatspot on tires....

Worn struts??

Just a few things that come to mind

MonteGrandAmGir
03-27-2005, 08:18 AM
this was happening to mine when i first got it in february... my fiance' said it was one of four things... 1. bent rin, 2. flat spot on tire, 3. loose lugnuts, 4. tires needed balanced... went back to the dealership, raised some hell, got them to look at it, ended up being that they just needed balanced... each of my tires had a different pressure in them which is what caused the shaking.... hope i could help :)

1hotgagt
03-27-2005, 08:36 AM
yea dude just take it to your shop and have them balance your tires thats probably all thats wrong with it.

w82drv
03-28-2005, 07:23 AM
but could it still be their struts or springs, bc i have the same problem and my tires are new and balanced and none of my rims are bent. what else could it be
?

Matt95GT
03-28-2005, 07:40 AM
You should search and read up on hubcentric rings. Also, check if you tires are directional... another common thing to overlook.

DrunkWithPower
04-02-2005, 10:01 AM
Take your car to a tire shop and have them check the struts - the main indicator normally for strut problems is continued shaking across a wide speed band, mostly 50mph and up. If the tires have been balanced, then one of your struts could be weaker than the other and causing your wheel and tire to "hop" at high speeds. You won't notice it too much at lower speeds because of the slower rotation. I had this problem after having new tires put on and having a cow cause the shimmy didn't go away. The tire guy checked the suspension and struts and figured the right front strut was going bad - replaced them and everything is good. This is a not a cheap deal though - cost me about 350. I'm sure you might be able to find someone cheaper, but I have a shop that treats me right and I pay them a bit more.

Hope this helps...

w82drv
04-02-2005, 03:44 PM
yeah i kinda had a feeling it could have been my struts or springs, but i wasnt sure