Oil Leak Yay! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Oil Leak Yay!

coupe
03-27-2005, 10:00 AM
3 days ago i pulled my GA out of the garage so i could work on some other things and noticed a small dot of oil about the size of a quarter of the floor. Leading up to this when i changed my oil i always noticed the pan being a bit moist with oil but nothing ever hit the ground so i dint worry. Every car ive ever changed the oil on always had oil on the pan so i dint ever worry about mine. Ussualy its from taking the filter out (messy). My oil plug is tight my filter is tight. Further inspection i found that it is coming from the filter "area". From the top side of the motor i dint see any oil at all on anything other than the under side of the hood right above the belt. But i dint see any oil coming out from any where that would explain how it is getting on the belt. When i change my oil im about 3/4 of a quart low but thats normal also ive never seen an engine not burn some oil between changes. Im baffled.
If anyone has had the same problem please give me some insight. Id appreciate it.

eric99gt
03-27-2005, 11:03 AM
I also have a oil leak on my 99. It's coming from the top of the oil pan. I'm assuming it's the oil pan gasket as that's where it looks like it's coming from. I'll just let it leak for now. It would be a pita to change it out.

Panacea
03-27-2005, 11:31 AM
You positive it's oil? I know when my water pump went bad (twice) the belt would kick some grimey looking stuff on the underside of the hood where the belt is.

As for Eric, it may be your LIM gasket. It looked like oil was leaking from my pan too, but it was actually from the LIM.

eric99gt
03-27-2005, 04:45 PM
Doubt it's the LIM gasket. Just replaced that last winter and only have about 200 miles on it. I'll keep watch though when I take it out again this summer.

action
03-28-2005, 12:56 PM
Is the oil filter tight??? When you installed the new filter, did you make sure the rubber gasket from the old filter wasnt stuck to the block??? That happens sometimes and the 2 gaskets dont work together and cause a leak.

In any case, clean off the engine with Brake Clean and rags, start the car and see where the oil is originating.

Blackrider
03-28-2005, 01:11 PM
My rear main, oil pan and valve cover all leak. and it burns oil to. lol the engine is coming out in a few months anyways.

coupe
03-28-2005, 03:07 PM
Oil filter is tight and not double gasketed....check.
Oil plug tight.....check.
Water pump is a possibility, any other signs or way of knowing it is my water pump other than crap on the underside of my hood?
Oil pan gasket is also a possibility but have no idea how to know for sure, hate to change a pita like that and find out it isnt the prob.
Its a VERY small leak so my concern at this point is not huge. I just dont like my vehicles to leak, especially on my clean garage floor.

coupe
03-29-2005, 04:29 PM
bump

Panacea
03-29-2005, 05:56 PM
I'm not positive on the water pump. I just know both times when it went bad, I had a nice splatter mark where the belt is, that's about it. Maybe the dealer or a mechanic will look at it for free?

AleroME
03-29-2005, 11:33 PM
its your oil pan gasket.. mine is leaking right now.. like drops 6 or 7 a night parked in my garage. Mines a 2000 3.4 w/97k miles.

Panacea
03-30-2005, 06:54 AM
If it's the oil pan gasket, how is it getting on the belt and being thrown up on the hood?

coupe
03-30-2005, 03:08 PM
^^^^
exactly

Mendoza
09-28-2006, 11:07 PM
I know i am bring this back from the dead but i am currently in the process of replacing my oil pan gasket. I noticed the same problem as coupe and a couple others. After further inspection i noticed that it seemed to be leaking where the crank and the oil pan meet. The oil was getting on my drive train and getting on the upper engine making this very hard to diagnosis. Well either way i battled with removing the oil pan today and got hung up on dropping the pan fully to remove the gasket. I believe i have to remove my sub-frame but i am not sure. Can anyone help me?

Mendoza
10-03-2006, 09:37 PM
Well after battling with the sub-frame i managed to get the oil pan off and replaced the gasket but the car still leaked. I decided to go buy some oil dye, UV Glasses and a black light to making diagnosing the problem easier. It ended up being the oil pump driveshaft. Even though i installed a new o ring when i did the LIM it just wasn't enough. So i took some black rtv sealant and made my own gasket. Finally my car is oil leak free and running better then ever!