Little Paint Problem [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Little Paint Problem

JohnnyB4439
03-27-2005, 10:58 AM
I painted my grills on the front of my car and i used a Rustolum Plastic Primer first. That went good, then on the directions it said you could use any of Rustolums main color products on top of that. So i go to the hardware store and pick out an epoxy based paint with a hard durable finish. I put about 4-5 coats on top of that and put it away to dry. Well now its been a full week and still the paint finish seems rather soft. Im not sure if its something im doing wrong or what. Ive had pretty good experience in working with paint, this seems to be my only hangup so far. Anyone have any ideas?

puckyou
03-27-2005, 11:09 AM
Is it humid outside? Moisture in the air can keep paint from drying properly.

Did you try drying them with a hairdryer?

JohnnyB4439
03-27-2005, 11:20 AM
Nope the temperature was warm and there was not much humid in the air. I just let them air dryed but i did put them on top of the heater vents in my house so i know it got plenty of hot air. Im just dont get it.

onesexyga
03-27-2005, 11:44 AM
did you let the primer dry properly?
did you clean the plastic before you painted it?
you say epoxy paint. not sure what you mean. I just know laquer and enamel.

Guga2495
03-27-2005, 12:16 PM
yea man clean all that stuff, sand it all, then let each paint coat DRY THOROUGHLY! than apply the next coat

JohnnyB4439
03-27-2005, 03:52 PM
did you let the primer dry properly?
did you clean the plastic before you painted it?
you say epoxy paint. not sure what you mean. I just know laquer and enamel.

I believe its an enamel based paint with epoxy. And yes i did let the primer dry properly and cleaned it very well.

onesexyga
03-27-2005, 04:50 PM
One last question. You say it "seems rather soft." Can you actually smudge it, or does it just feel tacky? If thats not it, then you got me man. Take it down to plastic and try again.

tjc13
03-27-2005, 05:08 PM
The only way I have gotten "soft" paint was applying another coat of paint before the previous coat had completely dried. Also, make sure that you apply thin coats when painting the mesh, heavy coats are bad news.

tenspeed
03-27-2005, 05:49 PM
If it is really epoxy paint, you have to mix a hardener with it to make it set up. Heat speeds the cure time. It should be like powder coating after 24 hours at room temperature.

I used epoxy paint on my calipers.

JohnnyB4439
03-27-2005, 06:38 PM
One last question. You say it "seems rather soft." Can you actually smudge it, or does it just feel tacky? If thats not it, then you got me man. Take it down to plastic and try again.

doesnt smudge just if you press your finger nails into it, it digs a mark into the paint

JohnnyB4439
03-27-2005, 06:39 PM
If it is really epoxy paint, you have to mix a hardener with it to make it set up. Heat speeds the cure time. It should be like powder coating after 24 hours at room temperature.

I used epoxy paint on my calipers.

I dont know why you would need a hardner, the paint directions said nothing about that. I know with regular epoxy you mix the two different gels together but it says you just spray it on and let it dry.

tenspeed
03-28-2005, 11:00 AM
If it's a spray on, I doubt that it is epoxy or at least one that I am familiar with.

I guess at this point heat and time are the only advice I can offer. Stick the parts back on the heater vents and hope for the best.

Panacea
03-28-2005, 06:38 PM
<-- Paint master here.

What grill are you talking about? Metal mesh, gutter guard stuff? If so, you'd be better off using a metal primer.

How did you prep it? Was it a bare surface or had it been previously painted? If it was previously painted (or pre-finished) was the paint glossy or flat?

How did you apply the primer? How many coats, how thick, how long did you let it dry? How long does the spray can say you should let it dry?

How long did you wait before you applied the paint? How long did the can of primer say to wait before you paint it? How many coats of paint did you apply? At what interval (a light coat every couple minutes)? What does the can of paint say to do? Does it say recoat within 1 hour or after 24/48 hours before you apply the next coat? Did you apply many thin coats, or a few heavy coats?

How long does it say it should take the paint to dry?

Anyway, it sounds to me like you applied the paint too thick. When was the last coat applied? If you put it on too thick it will take a while to dry, and it will be pretty brittle. I assume you used the Rustoleum Appliance Epoxy, that's the only one that I am aware Rustoleum makes. It is very critical to follow the directions on the can to a "T."

Answer all the questions I asked and I'll see if I can't help you out.