How to properly break in your new car? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : How to properly break in your new car?

resevil83
03-27-2005, 01:19 PM
My friend bought a brand new mustang gt and was asking me the best way to break it in. Well I remember reading an article that said basically to do some cycling of heating and cooling the engine down. I found this article and was wondering if this is a good idea. I found several actually. When I by my next pontiac I want to know how to properly break the bad boy in...

These two support this "pushing the car, to help seat the seals properly theory"
http://www.smartsynthetics.com/articles/converting_to_amsoil.htm
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

This is more neutral yet says not to push the car as in racing... It says to drive normally but, remember to replace the oil and filter soon. 500-1000 miles soon
http://www.answerbag.com/q_view.php/2420

This article also supports the first... I was basically just wondering if the 2nd article I posted would be a good idea for a v8 engine, or a v6 for our purposes.
http://www.enginesonly.com/break-in.html

puckyou
03-27-2005, 01:28 PM
Get in, start it up, put in neutral, REDLINE IT!!!

95-GT
03-27-2005, 01:45 PM
When the car is finished being made, it is started up and redlinned on the rolls for a few seconds to break the motor in. On a older solid lifter cam car, you would need to run it at loe RPM's for awhile to break it in, but thats not the car on todays cars. When you buy the car, its broken in. If he has a 5-speed, he will want to very his speeds for the first 200 miles to break the transmission in. If its an auto, have fun.

ChrisB
04-09-2005, 09:16 AM
True that everybody has an opinion on the best way to break in a new engine. I disagree that running it hard is the best way to break in an engine for obvious reasons. If you take it easy for the first 600 or so miles with the revs and, yeah, the cooling down heating up cycle helps too, as the amsoil page suggests, your car won't ever use oil...unless you do something unusual.

95-GT
04-09-2005, 11:12 AM
The rings set the first 10 seconds of the car running. After that, your fine.

SilverGAGT04
04-09-2005, 04:46 PM
95, you are wrong. This is how you break in your car. For the first 500 miles its recommended that you donít drive the freeway for longer then 10-15 mins. If you must drive on the freeway longer then that change your speed often and not exceeding 65mph. City driving is a new engines best friend. Do not exceed 3500 RPM during break in. Changing your oil after the first 500 miles is up to you. I did it on my car after 500 miles, but was told that the oil they use in the engine from the factory is "special". Check it out, the oil in a new engine has a green tint to it. This is "break in oil" but I donít buy it.

New engines must wear in together slowly. Do you think holding the engine at 6500 RPMs wears all surfaces slowly? NO! Think about it and you will understand.
Rings seat right away, but what do they rub against? THE CYLINDERS, with cross hatch pattern. Basically shallow grooves that go all the way up and down the cylinder. The rings wear the hatch away so that they seal perfect for 100,000+ miles of running.

Donít be a donkey. (No offence to the donkeys out there)
JK with you guys..

coupe
04-09-2005, 04:53 PM
95-GT is right YOU are wrong.

95-GT
04-09-2005, 04:55 PM
No, Rand, he is right. he is the one driving a stock Grand Am GT 4 door and not the one who has built any motors before.

coupe
04-09-2005, 04:58 PM
True True

and its Rand not Randy. Sorry.... i hate that.

95-GT
04-09-2005, 05:04 PM
Fixed.

SilverGAGT04 - If you wanna argue with this, then why can thry rebuild a motor in the middle of a race, and go right out and race again? Why do they build motors, then go tune them on a dyno revving them up? This is not the older days, this is a modern day motor which is built to handle it from the factory. I didnt say hold the rev's at 6500 RPM's, as thats not good for any stock motor, but simply you do not need to vary the speed at all. Why? Say your goind 60 MPH at 2500 or 20 MPH at 2500, STILL THE SAME ENGINE SPEED. You very the speeds to break in a new transmission smart one.

SilverGAGT04
04-09-2005, 05:12 PM
Hey, to each their own but I work at a Pontiac dealer servicing these engines and no offense, I know what is supposed to happen to them. Race engine, factory engine, 2 different things. Its your engine, and your money to fix it. Oh, and I built a 385 chevy so I guess you know my whole life story. And dont even start to ask what that is. A 350 chevy small block bored .040 over with a 400 crank. So go blow.

coupe
04-09-2005, 05:23 PM
Gotta love the youngins.

Azrael
04-09-2005, 09:07 PM
I also hear they drive the cars rather spiritedly over speedbumps as soon as they leave the production line to make sure everything holds together.

GrahamKracka
04-09-2005, 09:17 PM
I dont trust the propoganda the GM mechanics spread lol

SilverGAGT04
04-09-2005, 09:22 PM
Why exactly is that?

95-GT
04-09-2005, 09:57 PM
"but was told that the oil they use in the engine from the factory is "special"."

Best statement ever.

SilverGAGT04
04-09-2005, 10:19 PM
Didnít I say in the sentence after that "I donít buy it". Donít bust my balls for telling everyone my belief and what is considered by many manufactures the right way to break a vehicle in. So again, GO BLOW.

AndyVTek
04-09-2005, 10:24 PM
Didnít I say in the sentence after that "I donít buy it". Donít bust my balls for telling everyone my belief and what is considered by many manufactures the right way to break a vehicle in. So again, GO BLOW.

The only reason he's bustin' your balls is because you flat out said he was wrong. You weren't just "giving everyone your belief." :rolleyes:

I would think the transmission would need more break-in time than the engine, if any at all. Technology has come a long way.

GrahamKracka
04-09-2005, 10:40 PM
GM engines are already broke in upon delivery

95-GT
04-09-2005, 11:51 PM
No they arent. Think about it, would a motor really be broken in right away? No, you need to break it in. Make sure to not stay at one speed, cause you know, one speed and another speed will have the same RPM's which really affects the motor.

Ugh, damn kids. Let me tell you this right now, I am rebuilding my 302 right now (if you know what that is.), rering and new bearings. The motor will be broken in the first 60 seconds of the car running. The valvetrain will be broken in the 10 minutes of running. Now the transmission that I upgraded, will not be as I have to very the transmission speed. You very transmission speed with going differant speeds. You say to break in the motor with varying the speed of your car, but your motor will still spin the same speed. Why? GEARS/clutches in the transmission spin at differant speeds. Thats why you break in a transmission, not a motor.

SilverGAGT04
04-11-2005, 07:52 PM
Alright, I dont care anymore. I have been giving everyone information that is helpful and true. Take what I say for what you want but again, that is what GM wants in the terms of breaking in a vehicle. And by vehicle, I mean engine and transmission. Oh, by the way, Ford 302, known as a 5.0L. First year of the fuel injected 5.0 was 1986. Yeah, I know a lot about a lot, so you better learn who your talking to.

95-GT
04-11-2005, 08:06 PM
ohhh, big and bad. You better learn who you talk to too, Mr. I have special break in oil.

SC/TGrandAm
04-11-2005, 08:16 PM
Alright, I dont care anymore. I have been giving everyone information that is helpful and true. Take what I say for what you want but again, that is what GM wants in the terms of breaking in a vehicle. And by vehicle, I mean engine and transmission. Oh, by the way, Ford 302, known as a 5.0L. First year of the fuel injected 5.0 was 1986. Yeah, I know a lot about a lot, so you better learn who your talking to.

I had to quote that because it made me literally laugh out loud as the rest of your posts on this topic. You really are a *focktard*

:clueless: