Dark Oil, what should I do? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Dark Oil, what should I do?

BadGT471
03-27-2005, 09:10 PM
I am not sure what to do... I am 1,200 miles shy of needing another oil change. I checked my oil level today and it is full, but I noticed that my oil is really dark brown and smells burnt... Should I get an oil change now, or should I just hold off and wait another 1,000 miles? The car is a 2002 Grand Am GT with 38,000 miles on it... I've never noticed the oil get so dark, but if someone could give me some advice, that would be great!

Thanks,
Jeff

magyver
03-27-2005, 09:29 PM
if its dark its burnt, then change it, no big deal... i change mine every 2K, or less if im drivin her hard... its oil, and its super cheap... think about it dude..

Rba007
03-27-2005, 09:39 PM
Why do you change oil that often? you need to get some good oil... I could prolly pee in your engine and itd last longer than 2000 miles. My mobil one goes 5,000 and looks just as good coming out as it does going in, and ive got 126,000 miles!

dxtreme_85
03-27-2005, 09:48 PM
Yeah...I was running every 3,000 on GTX, but now I run about 12-15,000 on Amsoil w/ a new Amsoil filter every 6,000.

Mike Jung
03-28-2005, 12:48 AM
I am not sure what to do... I am 1,200 miles shy of needing another oil change. I checked my oil level today and it is full, but I noticed that my oil is really dark brown and smells burnt... Should I get an oil change now, or should I just hold off and wait another 1,000 miles? The car is a 2002 Grand Am GT with 38,000 miles on it...

If it smells burned; changed the oil now !

That must be some cheap motor oil or there is something wrong with your engine.

By the way: colour of the motor oil is not a good indication of condition.
Some motor oils come out of the bottle dark, some 5W20 motor oils come to mind.

The motor oil that I am currently using is German Castrol Syntec 0W30 synthetic motor oil (with a NAPA Gold [Wix] over-sized oil filter) & it comes out of the bottle green lol

(This pic was posted by glxpassat in the http://www.bobistheoilguy.com forum)
http://img207.exs.cx/img207/8508/dscf01742ea.jpg

I am currently changing my oil about every 6-months.

intence
03-28-2005, 11:05 AM
What kind of oil did you use in your last oil change? Personally I prefer more frequent oil changes, but would still use a good quality oil, even if it's non-synthetic etc.

What about the filter? A lot of times the filter gets overlooked, but i've heard of people complaining that they get darker oil after moving to a cheaper filter. Next time try a different oil/filter combination and see if you still have the problem.

tenspeed
03-28-2005, 11:48 AM
High detergent oil is supposed to look dark. It keeps the bad stuff in suspension instead of letting it stuck to the engines surfaces.

Changing oil is cheap, if the color bothers you, change it. Change the filter too. Check your new oil after a couple of hundred miles and see how dark it is.

Panacea
03-28-2005, 07:30 PM
Everyone keeps forgetting to ask.... HOW Many miles have you put on the car since the last oil change?

As was said, the color of the oil means nothing (usually).

2002AmSE
03-28-2005, 09:07 PM
Mike Jung, nice picture of the GC!! The elves applaud you. Sadly recently the color for the german castrol 0w-30 isn't green anymore. It is opening up alot of conversation about this 2005 castrol and whether or not it is the same thing as before.

Mike Jung
03-28-2005, 09:54 PM
Mike Jung, nice picture of the GC!! The elves applaud you. Sadly recently the color for the german castrol 0w-30 isn't green anymore. It is opening up alot of conversation about this 2005 castrol and whether or not it is the same thing as before.
Yeah, lol

That wasn't my picture, I 'borrowed it'.
It was posted by glxpassat at BITOG forums.

I still have enough for 3-more oil changes of the 2004 batch (that is green).

I bet Patman will be :crying: if the 2005 batch is not as good for his C5 Corvette.

mike2002
03-28-2005, 11:49 PM
i do valvoline every 4k......everyone uses mobile? i dont want to use synthetic, im afraid i may discover my engine leaks if i do..lol

Rogue9
03-29-2005, 06:35 PM
Been using Royal purple (or Mobil) since about 15,000 km's, and change the oil every 3-4 months w/ a K&N Filter.
I drive hard so my oil changes dark really fast and seems to be "used" but it's ok.
Although in the last 2 oil changes I seem to be losing more than a liter (for american's our cars hold roughly 4 liters... I don't know quarts. =) )
between changes.
Coolant's clean, no coolant in the oil, no blue smoke...
I just don't know where it's leaving from.
Probably some small leak I can't see. Oh well...

Mike Jung
03-29-2005, 06:44 PM
Been using Royal purple (or Mobil) since about 15,000 km's, and change the oil every 3-4 months w/ a K&N Filter.
I drive hard so my oil changes dark really fast and seems to be "used" but it's ok.
Although in the last 2 oil changes I seem to be losing more than a liter (for american's our cars hold roughly 4 liters... I don't know quarts. =) )
between changes...
I wonder what colour the Royal Purple oil is out of the bottle ;) lol

1 US Quart = 946mL
(see the pic above.)

AaronGAGT
03-29-2005, 06:47 PM
Green oil?! Hot sauce!

getTwisted
03-29-2005, 06:53 PM
if your oil is dark then that just means its working! if it smells burnt prolly just cheap oil like everyone else says............i don't change my oil every 3k i ususally do it every 5k or maybe just shy of 5k, i just don't like the idea of having to many dry starts......buts that just my opinion!

mike2002
03-30-2005, 12:56 PM
how would it be a dry start? everytime you start your car the majority of the oil is in the pan. the rest of the stuff should have a small coating on it, when you drain it, your not pumping the engine completly dry