water leakin onto rear floor [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : water leakin onto rear floor

w82drv
03-28-2005, 07:21 AM
after every big rainstorm or heavy rainfall, i look behind my drivers side seat and see and feel the floor is soakin wet, like a puddle. the only thing i can think of the weatherstrippin around the top of the door is bad. is there anything out there or anyone out there who has had the same problem or knows how to fix my problem, thanks

w82drv
03-28-2005, 07:44 PM
anyone....

rap219
03-28-2005, 07:59 PM
I've got the same problem once in awhile. I'm not sure whats causing it either but i'd like to know. It can't be good for the floorpan to be saturated all the time.

onesexyga
03-29-2005, 05:41 AM
sunroof. search.

Panacea
03-29-2005, 06:15 AM
is it the sunroof or the reflector (water coming down through the door and out the reflector).

This was a common issue with coupes.

rap219
03-29-2005, 06:22 AM
I'm guessing the reflector is my problem, my car is a coupe....My sunroof don't leak at all. Is there a way to fix the leaking problem if its the reflector????

onesexyga
03-29-2005, 07:20 AM
To determine if it is your doors wash your car. Spray plenty of water around the window and door. Really try and get it to leak. Then open the door and see if the sill is wet. If water is coming through your door, it will be coming past the weatherstripping and over the sill.

vegasGT
03-29-2005, 07:35 PM
I have the same exact problem with my 00 gt coupe. No sunroof so thats out ! Im a manager at a Honda dealership and have mine detailed weekly and there has never been a drop inside. It only seems to happen when it is sitting during a storm i.e. I dont drive through a puddle and have a Tsunami in the back...

w82drv
03-29-2005, 08:41 PM
well ill check the reflector thing, your probably right. whats a good way to fix or prevent this from happening over and over again? .......

GTguy
03-29-2005, 08:44 PM
OK since we are on this topic does anyone know where all the water drainage holes are located? If there plugged, I know it can cause a problem.

rap219
03-30-2005, 06:23 AM
Well....I hope theres a way to fix this because i just bought new carpet and want it fixed before i install it.

w82drv
03-30-2005, 07:22 AM
so let me get this str8?....the water comes in from about the top corner of the door, where the weatherstriping usually goes bad, runs down the sill and into the door and out the reflector....does that mean the inside of the door has water in it...?

Panacea
03-30-2005, 09:16 PM
IIRC It comes throught he door. I think it is normal, but it has a channel that allows it to drain out. What happens is there is a piece of plastic covering the gearing/wiring for the window, and the seal comes undone. All the dealer does is put some more caulk on there to seal it back up and you're good as new. I believe it was only a problem with coupes.

rap219
03-30-2005, 09:36 PM
Well....If anyone has a pic of what piece i need to caulk down or can explain what piece it is. I need to do this asap. Thanx

cavingman
03-31-2005, 08:14 AM
for the sunroof, you need to pull down your headliner and peak in at each corner of the sunroof. there are black tubes attach that sometimes come off. when they come off, water is just drippin on your headliner.

AaronGTR
03-31-2005, 08:49 AM
Panacea has the answer. It's the plastic seal inside the door. It happened mostly to coupes since the back corner of the door is right by the rear footwell. My car had this problem as did my mom's '98 olds intrigue. It allows a small amount of water thru and makes a puddle in the back seat.

The plastic shield actually comes from the factory with the putty that sticks it down only in certain places. After they found out about the possible water leak they made a revised shield that has the putty all the way around the bottom edge.

w82drv
04-02-2005, 03:48 PM
alright i know it aint comin in the sunroof bc like yall said the headliner would be saoked, and it aint. i can see a trail of where it would come in through the door. is there any way i could seal it myself rather than take it back to the dealer and have them fix my problem which will cost me and arm and a leg? is there any way i could fix it , thanks

onesexyga
04-02-2005, 04:39 PM
Take the door panel off, and check along the plastic for separation. Anywhere the black sealant isnt compressed behind the plastic, it can leak. Take it off, clean it all up, and re seal it with some good weatherproof sealant. Duct tape it too for extra protection. :)

w82drv
04-02-2005, 05:28 PM
did u have a problem with yours?....

onesexyga
04-02-2005, 05:37 PM
My parents 02 Bonneville was declared a lemon because it leaked so badly.

My old 93 GA leaked. We tried this at first. Ended up being rot in the firewall so i sold it.

My 2000 had a slight leak, and my father being as paranoid as he was about it just went ahead and resealed them while i was in there. I had both panels off anyways, since i put in new 4 X 6's.

w82drv
04-04-2005, 11:03 AM
oh well you had it easy, my parents dont let me work on my GT but like my hatch and GTO they dont care about. but is this something i can take back to the dealer and let them fix it or naw...?

Kyle
10-31-2006, 03:00 PM
Can anyone take a picture or tell me witch piece to caulk. I am having the same problem. Thanks

Y2KGA
10-31-2006, 06:38 PM
Can anyone take a picture or tell me witch piece to caulk. I am having the same problem. Thanks

Take off the door panel. There is a plastic barrier attached to the door. It is held to the door with a thick black putty. The putty runs along the perimeter of the plastic, you can't miss it. You can try just running you finger over the perimeter to make sure the plastic has a good seal with the putty.