Tailpipe rust? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Tailpipe rust?

SunshineInABag
03-29-2005, 10:16 AM
I've got an '03 GAGT with the stock exhaust pipes. Since I bought the car new last June, the right tip on the driver's side had always been a little discoloured. It eventually rusted, and I had the whole exhaust changed under warranty about a month ago. Now the exact same thing is happening, only to that one tip. The other 3 are perfectly fine.

Any ideas why this rust is so particular? I'm taking it in to the dealer again today, but they have no clue why this is happening.

Thanks!

RamAirGT22
03-29-2005, 10:28 AM
Probably because the inlet for the muffler from the piping is on the drivers side of the muffler. I know that side gets hotter so maybe the inlet has something to do with that too. Get a cat-back exhaust :)

Matt95GT
03-29-2005, 10:29 AM
Are you cleaning the carbon deposits off on a regular basis? Eventually it make pits and rust a bit. Try some Eagle-1 Neverdull on em.

Panacea
03-29-2005, 04:54 PM
Yeah, proper maintenance will prevent the rust.

SunshineInABag
03-29-2005, 06:12 PM
I do keep my car fairly clean, especially with all the salt on the road. Eventually I would expect some rust, but not within a month of a brand new exhaust. The chrome is totally pitted, and only on that #2 tip.

Has anyone had this problem with an '03 before? Did I get a bad batch?

w33ds
04-04-2005, 08:31 PM
I've got an 03 GA GT in Ontario as well and my tips look horrible.

I bought it last month. I'll be getting the SLP exhaust soon with some nice chrome tips, so I'm not too concerned.

Panacea
04-04-2005, 08:52 PM
^^^ If you're getting chrome tips you'd better take extra care of them. Especially in the winter time.

AznGA
04-04-2005, 09:23 PM
Wow, the dealer replaced the entire exhaust system under warranty just because tips got rusty? Must be a VERY nice dealer. The stock exhaust is all one piece from the catalic converter to back. I bet they took some time to put the new one in.

SunshineInABag
04-05-2005, 04:53 PM
Replacing it was the only thing they could do. Now they're going to get the District Manager for Goodwrench in Ontario or something to see it because they have no clue what's happening. I've got an appointment with him next week, maybe if I make a fuss he'll throw in some freebies... hmmm...

w33ds where did you get your car? Was is still new or used?

SunshineInABag
04-24-2005, 06:32 AM
So the DM wasn't there when we went, got another appointment next Thursday. Anything I should ask himt? Would they try to bull**** me into another faulty exhaust?

Anyone other that w33ds have this problem with a bad batch of chrome?

action
04-26-2005, 05:53 AM
Tell them to cut off the crappy chrome tips and install nice stainless ones.