ABS and Trac OFF light is on... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : ABS and Trac OFF light is on...

Braves299
03-29-2005, 10:40 AM
They came on today after I left my house this morning (On the way back to school). They have come on before, and all i had to do was turn the car off, and then back on, and they went away. This time, they are staying on for good.

Also, i do not know if it is just in my head or not, but it seems like the handling is a lot worse. When I was switching lanes on the highway, there was a lot more body roll than usual, it seemed.

And finally, It is also making a wierd, droning/grinding sound in the front. It sounds like a truck with big tires goin down the road. The sound that the tires make when they meet the pavement is kind of what it sounds like. Or even a playing card in a bycicle wheel. It's just making a grinding noise.

I just had my ABS pump replaced about 2 months ago. Could this be the problem?

EDIT: I hit a really big pothole lastnight.. could I have possibly broken something? The car does have a lot of body roll it seems....

Thanks for any help.

David

atc3434
03-29-2005, 11:46 AM
Wheel speed sensor... I'll almost 100% garuntee it. Your handling thing... well, the car has a variable rate power steering pump... at slow speeds you get more pressure to make steering effort light. It reduces the pressure as you speed up to keep it from being twitchy on the highway, it firms things up. When my wheel speed sensor quit, my pump ran full pressure all the time, and the car was hella twitchy on the highway. Very noticable to me, and it happend that the lights came on when already at highway speed, and I felt the change in the steering. The grinding noise is also indicative of the wheel bearing failing, its all in the hub assembly, the wheel bearing and speed sensor. Under a $200 fix.

The excessive body roll.. its possible you broke a spring... I had one go at 70k on my car, just out of the blue. I'd take a look at things and make sure everything is ok, or have a shop throw it on a lift. If you have other front end issues aside from your hub assembly, you can get the work done at the same time.

Braves299
03-29-2005, 01:56 PM
Ok I hope you are right on this one andrew. That pump cost me over $500 so I hope it isn't going again. So you think the noise is coming from the same issue?

Inferno
03-29-2005, 03:14 PM
I just replaced mine yesterday. $150 CDN parts and my mechanic buddy put it in for $20.00 (You have to replace the entire assembly)

Braves299
03-29-2005, 04:41 PM
Hmm... I hate repairs. thanks for the help guys.

n7plus1
03-29-2005, 05:43 PM
ahhh...mine used to do this all of the time if id crank the wheel too hard to the right or left. I used to just turn the car off and back on like you do and then i couldnt take it anymore and took it in to get "fixed". it was "fixed" for a while and then started doing it again. I then started looking behind the wheels and pushed some sensor (i think or hope it was the abs) in more securely and i havent touched them for like over a year now...(knock on wood). hope this helps!

Blumpkin98
03-31-2005, 07:05 PM
Try taking the abs controller off and cleaning it off or readjusting it
mine does it also but when i start it it isnt on but when i put it into gear it comes on along with my brake light not sure why though it used to do it and all you had to do was put the e-brake on and take it back off and it would go off but now that doesnt work

shawn
03-31-2005, 10:13 PM
It is the speed sensor. I had the same problem. It actually had to be repaired two times since I've owned my car.

Braves299
04-01-2005, 12:00 AM
Well actually tonight, I got in and started the car, and started to move. When I hit the brake, it kind of went down farther than usual, and the car would not stop. This happened twice. It kind of scared me, so i'm def. taking it to the dealer tomorrow. THey'll prob. **** it up worse though, just like they did lastime. But I am at school, so i dont really have much of a choice.