Coolant Drain / Flush ? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Coolant Drain / Flush ?

GAGT7386
03-29-2005, 12:27 PM
I have around 66,000 miles on my 2001 GAGT and want to get that dexcool outta there and replace it with some new stuff. I was wondering though if just unplugging the screw on the radiator was enough or if I need to like get it to flush it out? Also I know our system is like 14 quarts so I need 7 quarts of coolant and 7 quarts of water correct? Thanks for the help

XtremeGaGt00
03-29-2005, 12:54 PM
yah you will need 7qts antifreeze and 7 water, well, depending on your location in the states... but i know theres two block drain plugs on the side of the block, one of them is in front just above your oil filter and the other one is in back somewhere, assuming you have a 3.4l, might make the process go a lil quicker and make it a lil cleaner inside the engine...you should take the pet****<---sounds funny, thats the real name for it, out of the radiator and get it out of there too...

GAGT7386
03-29-2005, 01:26 PM
so where are the two plugs? I thought there was just one on the drivers side under the radiator? and also take the pet____ what out of the radiator? better yet anyone know where i can get a good detailed how - to for this?

XtremeGaGt00
03-29-2005, 08:03 PM
ok, lets just call it a drain plug for the radiator...u can remove that and it'll get alot out of there, the engine block drain plugs i cant explain it any easier, in the front of the engine...(bumperside), right above the oil filter maybe 2-5 inches above it theres a plug, i dont know where exactley the back one is because i havent seen it before, but i know there is one there because there has to be...id take a pic of mine but i cant figure out how to post pics...sorry, thats the best i can do....

GAGT7386
03-29-2005, 10:32 PM
dang it i already did the change without the block drain plugs ... hopefully it shouldnt effect this to much b/c i got a lot out from just the radiator and a hose with some prestone flush stuff out ... it was mostly water when i stoped and started filling it up again ... question though: now i have my overfill all filled up and it isnt gong down anymore. any ideas why?

XtremeGaGt00
03-30-2005, 07:43 PM
it isnt going down becaue the radiator is full, run the car for a while to get the air bubbles out, then top it off if it needs to be....ddi you find the drain plugs i was talkin about at all after u did it?