where is ABS module [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : where is ABS module

stephtech
03-29-2005, 03:39 PM
I am currently having a trouble with my wife's car. It has a problem with the traction control. the ABSa nd Trac Off turns on after a little ride with the car.

According to the numerous post in theses forums, it looks like it's the Hub/bearing assembly. But before spendinf so much money on this repair, I spent some time troubleshooting. I've run 2 lenght of wires from the wheels sensors (sensors stayed attached) to the inside of the car and then attached them to an oscilloscope. By watching the signals, I notice that one side has a much lower voltage than the other. but signals are clean. So I suspect water coming to the wiring/ABS module (there has been water on the floor numerous time).

So I'd like to check at the module to check for water and to test the resistance of the wires.

Can someone tell me where the module is and maybe for the ones that has the service manual; the color of these wires at the module side.

thanks
Steph

iceman
03-29-2005, 03:46 PM
Here's what I have, it's from an '01 but should (hopefully) be similar. According to the pics I have and manual instructions, it says to remove the left engine splash shield to expose the EBCM..

stephtech
03-29-2005, 09:46 PM
Wow, thanks Iceman,
you took time to type this in. it's appreciated.
I haven't yet checked where is the EBCM module but I'll try to figure out were is the motor spash shield.

I guess that this was all the info needed for now.
:thumbs:

Mike Jung
03-29-2005, 10:24 PM
IIRC, under the windsheild washer fluid bottle reservoir area.

Braves299
03-29-2005, 10:28 PM
yup, to get access to it, you need to take the fender liner off in the drivers side wheel well.

stephtech
03-30-2005, 03:34 PM
thanks all for the info...It will be a lot easier that way!!!

Steph

Zurge
04-03-2005, 02:50 PM
Need a pic, I have some pics/diagrams of its location.

dodd_z
02-04-2008, 09:04 PM
Anyone have some pics to post or email me

AaronGTR
02-04-2008, 10:22 PM
Jack up the car and take off the front driver side tire. Take out the front splash shield. The ABS module is directly behind the washer fluid bottle. You can't miss it, it has a large electrical connector going into the side of it. All you have to do is take out a few 10mm bolts to loosen the washer bottle and few more to get the module out. :thumbs:

2000 GT Coupe
03-16-2009, 11:45 PM
I am currently having a trouble with my wife's car. It has a problem with the traction control. the ABSa nd Trac Off turns on after a little ride with the car.

According to the numerous post in theses forums, it looks like it's the Hub/bearing assembly. But before spendinf so much money on this repair, I spent some time troubleshooting. I've run 2 lenght of wires from the wheels sensors (sensors stayed attached) to the inside of the car and then attached them to an oscilloscope. By watching the signals, I notice that one side has a much lower voltage than the other. but signals are clean. So I suspect water coming to the wiring/ABS module (there has been water on the floor numerous time).

Steph
I know this is old thread but after all the searching I have done I can not seem to find the answer just lots of questions.
No one seems to post back with the way to fix the problem. My case I have low voltage just like Steph it started with cleaning the hub connectors I think it shorted and maybe the ebcm went bad however until I have access to a scan tool that can read the system I am just going by the little things I find.

dodd_z
03-17-2009, 01:47 PM
I had a poroblem like this and a scan tool said Left Front Speed Sensor. I disconnected the connector at the ABS module and checked for resistance towards the speed sensor. It showed an open, but should have been 120 ohms or so (I think) It turned out to be a broken wire about 2 feet from the wheel sensor. Easy to fix. I'm not sure that the oscilloscope idea is the best...I don't think a low voltage situation would matter...just if the signal is there or not. So before you go replaceing the hibs and all that, make sure there is continuity all the way through.