Cold Air Box & HP [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Cold Air Box & HP

LDBGT
03-29-2005, 04:51 PM
Hi, I Jus Recently Bought a 1999 Grand Am GT Engine, & most compentents are bone stock. Its got After market Suspension, and Hankook K104 Tires. Im only 18 so i dont got a big cash flow... I was wondering about this cold air box Vs. cold air intake... Which is better off, and do they add more HP then the ram air. By what ive read they do.

I want my car to be pushing round 200Hp what will i have to do to get it there... CAI, Headers, Chip Etc. Thanks Guys Happy To Be Part Of This Now

portedLA1
03-29-2005, 05:12 PM
My entire setup on my GA se is 200hp. I use 9'' k&n filter for f-150 and the use the filter housing as a heat shield its side ported as well for ram air (2 inlets) it has 3 uses cold air , ram air and short ram air, Ported MAS , throttle body, upper and lowwer intake manifolds and port polished OEM exhaust manifolds , no resontator no catylitic converter and no muffler and a Jet pcm. I never ported my cylinders. For drag racing since I have a touring suspension I use rubber spring dampners to reduce front end roll/dive when stepping on it and shifting. Its not bad for ripping hell of alot faster than stock.
Thats my setup and also gotta mention I did all the porting myself by hand. My cost was around $300 - $500 im performance upgrades. If I calculate in hp-$ I prolly gained 1hp to every $10 bucks I spent IMO thats the biggest bang for your buck even tho its N/A upgrades and not forced induction.

LDBGT
03-29-2005, 05:18 PM
i gotta do all that to hit 200HP **** i was thinking maybe headers CAI, and DHP chip. Putting 8.5mm Sprak plug wires will that add any power or throttle response or jus better fuel economy

portedLA1
03-29-2005, 05:32 PM
i gotta do all that to hit 200HP **** i was thinking maybe headers CAI, and DHP chip. Putting 8.5mm Sprak plug wires will that add any power or throttle response or jus better fuel economy
No thats what I did since Im poor , you can buy headers exhaust and a delco performance chip and make around 200hp or more too. Sorry I was just sayin how I did it. If I was more of a wealthy person I would simply buy a car that I could do something with not waste money on it.

LDBGT
03-29-2005, 05:56 PM
im not bashing what you did... how much work was it to do all that.... and it only cost you 500$? porting and polishing my manifolds seems like to much of a hassle... the one by the firewall looks like it owuld be real hard to work on

Blackrider
03-29-2005, 09:14 PM
That would probably put you over 200 crank HP.

Spark plug wires will just make your engine run smother.

portedLA1 We have alot of work to do with you.

badboy2451
03-29-2005, 09:32 PM
portedLA1 We have alot of work to do with you.

lol :doh:

portedLA1
03-29-2005, 10:22 PM
Factory gaskets suck , had a coolent leak , while i had the engine torn apart to replace every gasket i ported the intakes and exhaust it took several hours mapping and grinding sanding and polishing. There was no justification in porting with the replacement gaskets so i trimmed the hard plastic to pull it off. Hardly any of my mods are store baught or bolt on so forgive me for havin a ghetto car lol.

Blackrider
03-29-2005, 10:37 PM
Factory gaskets suck , had a coolent leak , while i had the engine torn apart to replace every gasket i ported the intakes and exhaust it took several hours mapping and grinding sanding and polishing. There was no justification in porting with the replacement gaskets so i trimmed the hard plastic to pull it off. Hardly any of my mods are store baught or bolt on so forgive me for havin a ghetto car lol.
Replace your ported MAF, is the first bit of advice i can give you.

portedLA1
03-29-2005, 11:47 PM
Why the one I have is working perfectly fine. Its 3'' or 75mm inside has the coils intact cus there brand new. Or do you mean an aftermarket MAS? I looked into getting a larger mas and this is what I get "no we cant get that stuff it always back orders" so what else were my options? So i got a hack saw and a die grinder and went to town.

Blackrider
03-30-2005, 07:48 AM
Why the one I have is working perfectly fine. Its 3'' or 75mm inside has the coils intact cus there brand new. Or do you mean an aftermarket MAS? I looked into getting a larger mas and this is what I get "no we cant get that stuff it always back orders" so what else were my options? So i got a hack saw and a die grinder and went to town.
Porting your MAF has been proven to cause extreme lean conditions. The sensor has a very precise calibration and when you mess around with it, it send back inaccurate readings to the PCM.

eric99gt
03-30-2005, 12:14 PM
first hand experience right here....was runnin real lean. Read around on the boards that that could be the problem. Replaced an woala. No lean.

ktjhbh
03-30-2005, 01:34 PM
How about just taking the screen out of the MAF... will that be better or worst? Does it still lean out to much?

Blackrider
03-30-2005, 01:35 PM
How about just taking the screen out of the MAF... will that be better or worst? Does it still lean out to much?
Worse. Once again, the sensor is calibrated to run AS IT. any modification to it causes falce readings.

portedLA1
03-30-2005, 05:48 PM
I had tests done on it after and it threw no codes. After over use with my jet pcm for example the check engine light would come on and the A/F ratios would go to a default setting (lean A/F) but it resets itself after driving with the pcm off to what optimum A/F should be. I know it doesnt have exactly the same to do with what the mas read but its reading accurately adjusting the a/f according to the tec tools they test it with at work. I had to buy a O2 simulator for the exhaust sensor as well to combat this problem you described. I did this 2 years ago and its been great ever since. As for MAS problems , my first were when I changed the filter the oil gummed up the coils and made her run lean and any time I have lean reading simply cleaning the coils corrects it unless the coils are burned out. I know you guys wanna argue with my barbaric methods of modding but every mod has had a battery of tests to ensure Im not wasting time or creating something detremental.

You guys are making me wanna stay I like the threads and the questions you guys hand out here not bad I must say. I just wont buy bolt on stuff like superchargers or turbo kits instead since I have a few cars I will fabricate a turbo and give it a decent 4-6lbs boost and perhaps a boost controller with wastegate? But its gonna be fabricated.

Thanks for looking out for a fellow GA owner guys thanks for the advice :)

Blackrider
03-30-2005, 05:58 PM
I had tests done on it after and it threw no codes. After over use with my jet pcm for example the check engine light would come on and the A/F ratios would go to a default setting (lean A/F) but it resets itself after driving with the pcm off to what optimum A/F should be. I know it doesnt have exactly the same to do with what the mas read but its reading accurately adjusting the a/f according to the tec tools they test it with at work. I had to buy a O2 simulator for the exhaust sensor as well to combat this problem you described. I did this 2 years ago and its been great ever since. As for MAS problems , my first were when I changed the filter the oil gummed up the coils and made her run lean and any time I have lean reading simply cleaning the coils corrects it unless the coils are burned out. I know you guys wanna argue with my barbaric methods of modding but every mod has had a battery of tests to ensure Im not wasting time or creating something detremental.

You guys are making me wanna stay I like the threads and the questions you guys hand out here not bad I must say. I just wont buy bolt on stuff like superchargers or turbo kits instead since I have a few cars I will fabricate a turbo and give it a decent 4-6lbs boost and perhaps a boost controller with wastegate? But its gonna be fabricated.

Thanks for looking out for a fellow GA owner guys thanks for the advice :)
How did they test it?

portedLA1
04-01-2005, 07:44 AM
ODB tec tools i think? Thats a good question Ill look into that.

Blackrider
04-01-2005, 01:27 PM
ODB tec tools i think? Thats a good question Ill look into that.
IC, Well i'm sure its reading fine, But the Information is sending is falce. unless it been recalibrated. Trust me on this one.

pontga00
04-01-2005, 01:48 PM
How does the oil reach the coils? They are behind the UIM...there shouldn't be any oil getting over there.

portedLA1
04-02-2005, 12:48 AM
IC, Well i'm sure its reading fine, But the Information is sending is falce. unless it been recalibrated. Trust me on this one.
Ill look into it more thanks. Dont hurt to make sure right?

Blackrider
04-02-2005, 01:16 AM
Ill look into it more thanks. Dont hurt to make sure right?
Not at all! Just ask fourteenthreeGT about porting the MAF.

portedLA1
04-04-2005, 03:46 PM
How does the oil reach the coils? They are behind the UIM...there shouldn't be any oil getting over there.
If your a little low on oil moresmoke goes through the recirulated pcv that leads to the intake. The smoke created by the burning oil becomes oil when it settles. When you turn your car off the vacuum created by the intake is no longer there so the smoke settles all over in the intake and the coils in the mas as well. Thats one way another is k&n filter oil , over oil and it pulls tons of it on the coils. This burns out coils fast.

portedLA1
04-04-2005, 03:53 PM
Not at all! Just ask fourteenthreeGT about porting the MAF.
Turns out my a/f was out , more air than fuel so my fuel is lean. The mechanics say that the air readings are much higher than stock. Time to amp up the fuel system? I looked into a higher pressure fuel pump but cant find one. Any suggestions?

Woz
04-05-2005, 09:07 PM
SOme good tips already. I', looking to do basically the same things, get some more response out of my engine. For 500 bucks 30 horsepower seems pretty good

Woz
04-05-2005, 09:10 PM
How do the grand am engines respond to say a combination of air intake and a freer flowing exaust? Any significant improvements? I was hoping to not have to take apart my engine to get some improvements.

portedLA1
04-05-2005, 11:59 PM
How do the grand am engines respond to say a combination of air intake and a freer flowing exaust? Any significant improvements? I was hoping to not have to take apart my engine to get some improvements.
Simply Increasing the inlet diameter putting a K&N stock replacement and a catback exhaust should give you much better throttle response. The rest I did on my own awhile back cus I was eager. I dont have any track time with this car but it is comparable to a GP gtp 0-60mph maybe quicker as I have driven them many times.
Im not bragging its not that fast IMO but at the time it was a learning expirience and from what tecs told me I ported very precisely. Magic marker , Clay (plastercine sp?) , 2 cup measuring cup , water and a diegrinder. It took along time and my back hurt after. I used a drill and cotton cloth with metal polish to polish the exhaust ports after I sanded down with 1000 gritt. I dont want to ever do it again. So I will admire the only porting job I ever did or ever will do.