engine stall/speedometer goes to 130mph [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : engine stall/speedometer goes to 130mph

n7plus1
03-29-2005, 06:57 PM
I'm not sure what the heck my car is doing here lately. Every once and a while, when i first turn my car on, its starts fine and then i put it in to drive or reverse and it goes into gear fine. I give her some more gas to accelerate and then it seems like the engine stalls or something and then the speedometer goes up to like 130-150mph and then goes back down to 0 and then goes back upto like 30-40 and then i turn it off. I just starred in amazement like WTF!!!!!! was that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????? (i havent payed enough attention, b/c i usually turn my car off and then back on anyway so i am not really sure if it stalls..dont ask) it seems like its only when i go from reverse to drive. It happened once on sunday back out of my g/f's driveway which is quite steep (backing out) and then turning the car either right or left and then jputting the car into drive to go straight and then it did it. It also did it today to me at work. I backed out of my space and then proceeded to go straight after putting into drive and then it did it again This is starting to scare me and i hope its not a serious issue, can anyone help me out on this? its a '99 GAGT. PLEASE HELP!!!

Panacea
03-29-2005, 07:03 PM
BCM may be having a hickup. Does this happen when you're driving, or when you stop and try to go again?

n7plus1
03-29-2005, 08:27 PM
whats the "BCM"? i wish i knew more about cars like most of you guys on here. and your question, it seems to only do it the fist time i put it into drive (from reverse at least, i havent got a chance to let it sit and just put it straigh into drive) after i start it...does that help? lemmie know..THANKS!

p.s. it also seems like the tranny is slipping or something. When it shifts from 1st to 2nd and im driving it kind of hard it hesitates to go to 2nd like the engine continues to rev but it seems like 2nd hesitates like a half a second, i do need to change my oil (light is on) could this be it? if so i just bought some Mobil 1 anyway. Does this have anything to do with the above problem?

Panacea
03-29-2005, 10:34 PM
BCM is the computer which is under the glove compartment. It controls a lot of things. Same with the PCM, which I don't know where it's located.

As for your problem, I would say it's just a hickup. It's almost as if it didn't put it back into the correct gear when you shift. If it persists I would get it looked at. If it only happens once or twice then I wouldn't sweat it.

AaronGAGT
03-29-2005, 11:15 PM
Try leaving your battery disconnected for a while so things get reset if it keeps doing silly things.

LukeD
03-29-2005, 11:57 PM
Don't know why but that happened to me before my alternator went out.

iceman
03-30-2005, 12:17 AM
Sounds like an electrical problem, if you see the gauges sweeping, that'll only happen right after the ignition is turned on.. So if you have some sort of dead short, or dead alternator, etc, if the electrical system cuts out and comes back, the first thing that will happen with the ignition on is the gauges will sweep... I'd check alt, battery, any aftermarket wiring you have, etc...

n7plus1
03-30-2005, 07:15 AM
Ill try uplugging the positive lead to the battery for a while, how long would you reccomend i leave it unplugged? Im changing my oil tonight, would that be enough time? Thats kind of funny that you said about aftermarket wireing. I had a system in my car for some time but its been out for well over a year now but i left all of the wireing in my car, i just took out all of the components and sold them. Just 2 weekends ago, i took out all of the wireing once and for all, this wouldnt have anything to with it would it? I dont have any other afternarket wireing, no alarm..nothing. It seems to only do it if i dont let it warm up completely/dont get some tranny fluid running/oil running in the engine. I know i shouldnt be doing that considering i bit*ed at people before for doing it (im a hipacrit) Ill keep you guys up to date and i really appreciate the help.

p.s. please dont hesistate to post any ideas, ill try pretty much anyones ideas to get this problem fixed THANKS!

iceman
03-30-2005, 10:00 AM
Don't unplug the positive... always the negative first :)

Clean your battery terminals if you are going to disconnect it..

n7plus1
03-30-2005, 12:35 PM
will do and thanks for the advice! like i said, ill let you know how it works out.