Can't get her to start!!! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Can't get her to start!!!

GrandAmTrouble
03-31-2005, 12:19 AM
I own a 99 Grand Am GT, that began over heating on me. I changed the thermostat to try and correct the problem, well the guy at the parts counter gave me the wrong one to begin with, after a big ordeal I got the correct one and installed it. I bled the lines and all like the manual tells me to and I got the Check Engine Light....... so I shut her off... and now she won't start... any ideas??? I've checked the ignition coils and the ignition modulator......

70 BOWTIE
04-01-2005, 07:40 AM
Is the fuel pump working with the key in the start pos. should hear a hummmm,could be a relay.I have found that it is allmost impossible to work on these with out some sort of computer,code reader thingy..Just trying to help GOOD LUCK :whistle:

GrandAmTrouble
04-05-2005, 11:30 AM
As an update...
everything checked out on our end so we ended up getting her towed to the stealership. I know, bad idea. Turns out, when it overheated it warped the head and all sorts of bad things happened. The stealership says that motor will never start again and wants us to cough up $5400 to replace the engine. Would it require an all new engine or just some head work? He says he saw coolant down in the oil, but I never saw it.

70 BOWTIE
04-15-2005, 09:02 PM
BUUUUMMER!!!I guess u got an aluminum block ,so yeah that motor is more than likely toast .I know these motors r not cheap to replace my 2.4l is around $2k to replace if I do all the work. :hang: Don't really know what to tell ya but good luck and let us know what u decide to do