transmission and lights [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : transmission and lights

roper
03-31-2005, 11:35 PM
I just bought a 1996 grand am for my daughter. It has a 3.1 engine and automatic tranny. The transmission engages in reverse. When you put the gear selector into drive the car wants to take off in drive.(does not go through the gears) I am able to drop the gear selector into first gear and the transmission goes into second gear.I can then shift to second ( it stays in second ) , shift to third (it goes into third) and also goes into overdrive upon shifting manually. All the abs/check engine and trac lights are showing up. Engine runs good. I went under the car to see if anything is unhooked and came up empty. Also the speedometer is working only 25% of the time. Only thing I have tried is a vss and that did not change anything. any help would be appreciated.

Sexysteve
04-01-2005, 05:21 PM
you need to go to a autozone or something like that and they can put a tap on the computer and see what the codes are.

EASTERBUNNY
04-02-2005, 07:04 AM
If I Understand You Correctly When In Drive It Pulls Out In 3rd But If Manually Shifted It Will Go Through 1 2 3 Sounds Like Modulator Valve Or Shift Solenoid In Valve Body I Would Try The Mod Valve First ,and You Will Probably Have To Take To A Shop To Have It Scanned For Trans Codes Autozones Scan Tool Is Just A Code Scanner And Does Not Have The Capability To Scan Trans Abs Or Trac Codes.

roper
04-02-2005, 08:24 PM
I have a friend bringing his snapon scanner to check out the car monday. Will keep you informed on what i find.

thanks
frank

roper
04-04-2005, 04:55 PM
Alright, the codes I found on the car are as follows,

P0753 1-2 shift selinoid A CKT fault
P0758 2-3 shift selinoid B CKT fault
P1573 PCM/EBTMC data problem
p1654 ???
P1864 torque conv clutch CKT electrical
P1655 purge EGR or shift sol A CKT

I do not think the computer is comunicating with the transmission?????

If anybody has seen something like or has any Ideas please help.

THANKS FRANK

EASTERBUNNY
04-05-2005, 06:04 AM
Sounds To Me Like You Have A Bad Pcm Or Open Circuit Going To Your Trans Try Disconnecting The Round Connector Going To The Trans On The Front Of The Trans I Think It Has Six Pins The Trans Has The Male Pins You Will Probably Have To Use A Mirror To See Them Make Sure There All Straight , If You Are Having This Many Codes That Mostly All Pertain To The Trans Your Pcm Has A Bad Circuit Going To The Trans Shift Sols If You Need Dtc Definitions And Wiring Harness Print Outs I Can Try To Pm Them To You .

95-GT
04-05-2005, 09:05 AM
Yep, the bulk head connector is where all those go thru, but also the transmission temp goes thru there and your not pulling that code. Have you checked your fuses?