Cleaning Coil Pack Posts & Multi Function Switch [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Coil Pack Posts & Multi Function Switch

Infernall
04-03-2005, 09:40 AM
Today I will be cleaning the terminal posts of my 2001 SE's coil packs.

My coil pack terminal posts have a bit of corrosion on them, at the connection to the plug wires. I had my plugs replaced at the dealership about 2 months ago, but declined to pay another few hundred dollers to have new coil packs installed. The technician showed me the corrosion and being technical as I am, I simply asked why I couldn't just clean the contacts myself, coat them with di-electric grease, and solve the problem for $10. The technician couldn't really find anything wrong with this approach.

I will be doing this repair this afternoon, taking many many pictures, which I will post to this thread. I hope I can help others with the same issues. Perhaps this thread will make it into the HowTo section for cleaning coil pack terminals.

If you have any questions or suggestions, please let me know. I will likely start in an hour or two. I will check this thread before I start in case anyone would like to to photograph anything else while I am at it.

Cheers!

Infernall
04-03-2005, 02:15 PM
Cleaning the coil pack terminals ended up only taking five minutes of my time. I removed the plug wires from the coil packs, cleaned the terminals and plug wires with a wire brush, contact cleaner, and applied a good amount of di-electric grease.

The results were phenomenal as my car accelerates much more smoothly, no longer sludging along when in second or third gear. The difference in my 2001 SE was simply amazing.

Now for the guide:

Tools & Materials Required

Electronic Contact Cleaner
Metal Brushes
Di-Electric Grease

Step One - Removing Plug Wires
Remove the plug wires from the coil packs by firmly and slowly lifting the wire plug off of each terminal. If your coil packs are not labled with the correct wire for each terminal, be sure to write down the order they are installed in. * I would post this image, but I am limited to 5 images for this post *

Step Two - Dirty Coil Pack Terminals Exposed
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=18526&stc=1
You can now see how dirty three of the terminals were. You can clearly see rust and oxidation built up on the terminals.

Step Three - Cleaning the Terminals
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=18528&stc=1
I cleaned each terminal with a wire brush, carefully removing layers and layers of corrosion.

Step Four - Spraying the Terminals
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=18533&stc=1
I gave each terminal lead a few good shots of contact cleaner. Remember to give the contact cleaner time to evaporate before moving on.

Step Five - Application of Di-Electric Grease
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=18534&stc=1
Each terminal received a generous amount of di-electric grease to prevent moisture from corroding the terminals in the future. The grease also ensures an excellent electrical connection between the terminals and the plug wires.

Step Six - Reconnecting the Plug Wires
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=18530&stc=1
I have reconnected the plug wires to the coil packs by pressing down on the plug wires until they have firmly connected. Be sure that no wire is loose.

Conclusion
This is a fairly simple process that can significantly improve your car's performance. It is quite easy to check the coil pack terminals for yourself to check for corrosion. Please feel free to ask questions or leave me comments.

Thanks!

Infernall
04-03-2005, 02:20 PM
Would a moderator please rename this thread to : Cleaning Coil Pack Terminals
This title more accurately titles this thread, as I will need to make a seperate thread for the multifunction switch cleaning. ( image limit.. :( )

Thanks a lot.

Joeyavhu
04-03-2005, 02:36 PM
Hey, thanks for the details on how to do this. You can pick up those things all at Home Depot, right? Thanks.

95-GT
04-03-2005, 02:52 PM
You can go to a local auto parts store and get it all too. Should only cost around $10 in supplies.

Joeyavhu
04-03-2005, 02:54 PM
Okay. Cool, thank you.

Infernall
04-03-2005, 03:06 PM
You should be able to find these supplies at any auto/electronics/home shop.

badboy2451
04-03-2005, 03:06 PM
good how to mann, the more the better

AeR0
07-06-2005, 11:52 AM
you said u used contact cleaner.. .how about some rubbing alcohol?? or wd-40?

rgdwar1
07-06-2005, 01:26 PM
ok...so I'm at work and decided on my break to check my terminals. All are clean except the one circled in the following picture. The #2 Terminal. Would this cause a slight sluggishness in acceleration?

Malaclypse
07-07-2005, 01:32 AM
Rgdwar: Yes. It could. Clean that terminal and see what happens. Remember, one corroded terminal means two plugs not firing properly.

I personally found that corrosion on the coil pack terminals was rather regular when I use AC Delco wires. I've run the wires until recently and on both my stock coilpacks and on my MSD coils (5k miles on them) had one or more corroded terminals. I cleaned them with contact cleaner, alcohol and used di-electric grease when I reinstalled the plug boots to the coil. I found that the clips tend to get loose very quickly with Delco wires.

Also, when I removed my delco wires from the coil packs you could see the line of dirt that had crept underneath the delco boots and settled into the di-electric grease. This was on my set of red MSD coils.

I've since replaced my delco wires with Magnecore 8.5mms that I got for around $80 shipped. The clips on both the plugs and coilpacks are very tight. We'll just have to see how they fare when I have to change plugs every 20 - 30k.

White99GAGT
07-13-2005, 09:11 AM
Just replaced the stock wires with MSD 8.5mm wires and noticed two terminals were corroded. Followed your steps and now the GT seems to run and idle smoother. Thanks for the write up.

AeR0
04-04-2006, 10:03 AM
where is the how to on the multi function switch?

badboy2451
04-04-2006, 03:01 PM
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50126

Woody87
04-04-2006, 04:52 PM
just did both of these today...haven't driven her yet, but just doing them already makes me feel better. also cleaned my intake filter, and got rid of some excess wiring. I'm feeling mighty dang happy right now.

FutureDC_FLY_GT
05-05-2012, 01:41 PM
Thanks for the write up. Wow mine were very bad. No wonder why I am running sluggish. I can't wait to take it for a ride later! I am sure I will notice a big difference.

UndeadGods
05-06-2012, 08:04 AM
Thanks for the write up. Wow mine were very bad. No wonder why I am running sluggish. I can't wait to take it for a ride later! I am sure I will notice a big difference.

^^ Holy eff!

chris_gt_74
05-06-2012, 11:13 AM

You may want new wires too. I bet the insides are shot. They aren't the best wires but I have a barely used set of Bosch wires I'll sell you. They only have a few thousand miles on them and still look new $20 shipped if you want them. I took them off shortly after I put them on cause I got a good deal on some Taylor's.