Removing Dexcool Defoamer from Reservoir [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Removing Dexcool Defoamer from Reservoir

2002AmSE
04-03-2005, 11:19 PM
Hey, my mom's got a 99GASE with 75k miles or so and a hose decided to creep because a clamp snapped(not sure how but there was no clamp attached anymore, just the clip) and so the coolant was got low and the low coolant light was on. A few weeks ago I checked this as I changed the oil and the coolant was happy and the clamp was there and the oil came out looking pretty good.

Dexcool when the level gets low, gets black sludge in the whenever it is when it isn't under high enough pressure and is being exposed to air, which is the reservoir of course. The coolant itself is still very clean as I verified by draining the radiator. Since the fluid was clean and I had flushed it before winter hit, I dumped it back in.

I pulled the reservoir and tried getting the crap out with hot water, but that didn't work, which didn't surprise me. The stuff is super sticky stuff too. I was wondering what would be a good solvent to use to clean this out with. I called a couple of mechanics and they told me, "The only way to remove rustcool/dexfool/dexcrap's sludge is to take the reservoir off and swish gas in it, just make sure you run hot water through it to get rid of all the gas when you are done" Yep, mechanics all have their own nickname for it.

My question is will this melt my tank and is it unsafe?
Any better solvents for this, I am sure there is, i'd rather not waste my gas?

95-GT
04-03-2005, 11:28 PM
The tank is pretty thick, and gas in there for a few minutes shouldnt harm anything. I would soak it in HOT, soapy water for 10 minutes, tap the gunked up area, repeat process and see how clean that comes out. If that doesnt work, try brakleen or some citrus based product.

2002AmSE
04-06-2005, 02:39 PM
Thanks the soap and water thing has been tried, I haven't thought of brake cleaner and another person recently told me windsheild washer fluid could do it so, ill try the windshield washer fluid first, brake cleaner second, and if all else fails gas.... I'll have it good and rinsed before it ever goes back on that car though. I'm thinking while I am at it to give it a Zerex G-05 flush&fill too.

EBlend
04-06-2005, 04:41 PM
gas would work perfectly fine, just put some in and it will clean it all up
if gas eats through platic then it would easely eat though your hand..last time i spilled gas on my hand it didn't burn nothing, so don't worry

2002AmSE
04-06-2005, 09:25 PM
Cool, thanks for the advice guys! :-)