strut bearing plates [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : strut bearing plates

LaFFi
04-04-2005, 02:54 PM
Hey All,

So I was hearing a pop as I turned at low speeds. The shop told me the link control arm was the problem. I paid for the fix and everything seemed great. Then I got the struts changed because I was at 70K and they told me they were on there last leg. Then I started hearing a similar pop. But it's not as loud and its only when it cold out when I turn the wheel all the way to one side or another. The shop said that it was most likely strut bearing plates, but they didnt think they needed changing until the noise was really "annoying to the driver."

So now that I explained the history. My question is does anyone agree with the strut plates? Would it being cold out cause this sound more than when it's warm. And only while turning? Also, is it ok to just ignore the sound for a while? The mechanic said I wouldn't do any damage.

Thanks. I know there are a ton of posts on popping, but there are many popping noises.

NaturalKonc3pt
04-04-2005, 09:38 PM
I have a similar noise but mine isnt very loud. it is most likely the strut bearing plates up on top. there are little bearings inside the plate and if they arent greased or are shot it can create the popping noise