99 GAGT AC Compressor Squeal [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 99 GAGT AC Compressor Squeal

bigbangtech
04-05-2005, 05:14 PM
I noticed the AC compressor makes a grinding/scraping/squeal noise when the clutch in NOT engaged (AC OFF). Then when you turn AC on, the noise stops.

The noise can best be described as holding a screwdriver to a turning metal wheel.

Could the clutch springs be rusty/sticky, etc?

Anyone have experience fixing this.

Please don't reply telling me to replace the expensive compressor. I can do that after I try everything else.

Malaclypse
04-05-2005, 09:43 PM
Sounds like one of the bearings in the clutch came apart.. just check and see if whatever is causing the grinding can be removed (doubtful).

Only two things you can do to fix it are to replace the compressor clutch (most places won't) or buy a new compressor.

bigbangtech
04-05-2005, 11:25 PM
Sounds like one of the bearings in the clutch came apart.. just check and see if whatever is causing the grinding can be removed (doubtful).

Only two things you can do to fix it are to replace the compressor clutch (most places won't) or buy a new compressor.

The clutch seemed to have some light surface rust on it. I sprayed some penetrating lubricant on the clutch area, avoiding getting any on the belts and pulley. I'm going to cycle the AC on and off to maybe get it to unstick.

After a few minutes it seems to have gotten a *little* better. We'll see what happens in the long run.

Malaclypse
04-05-2005, 11:54 PM
Surface rust is normal. They come with a black paint coating from the factory. The paint eventually burns off because the clutch gets really hot when its engaged. Along with the compressor.

bigbangtech
04-06-2005, 10:33 PM
The compressor clutch stopped grinding after getting lubed up. I must have engaged and disengaged the clutch 50 times(turning AC on and off).

95-GT
04-07-2005, 09:58 AM
Also, pack some grase in there. That will help out.