Tire Pressure Help. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Tire Pressure Help.

1coop44
04-06-2005, 05:53 AM
Just wondering what people are runing for tire pressure on there gagt's. On the stock 16's i'm running 30lbs like it says on the door jamb.

On my 17's (225-45-zr17's) I 'm running 36lbs.(I'm thinking this may be to high). I'd like to see what air pressure's others are using in the 17" or 18" tires.

atexasgarcia
04-06-2005, 06:32 AM
i use what ever it says on the tire - mines 44 psi just aired up last night

tenspeed
04-06-2005, 06:39 AM
Hey Coop, I tried to find out from various sources about increasing air pressure when you use a plus size tire. Everyone seemed to recommend using the data from the door placard.

I run my 17's around 40 pounds. I usually run a higher pressure because I like the firmer feel and the increased MPG. I haven't seen any excessive tire wear in the center.

If you want to get technical, check the tire temperature across the the face of the tread to see if it is hotter in the center after a run. The fronts should be a little hotter than the rears because they carry more of the load and the temperature should be the same across the tread. If the tire pressure is too soft, it should be hotter on the outer edges.

Some of the newer digital multimeters have a temperature probe. My Fluke does.

1coop44
04-06-2005, 06:50 AM
Thanks Guys part of the reason I ask is the Car feels a little squirly with the 17's back on . Maybe I just need to get use to them after having the snows on for the last 5 months. I know the snow handle like crap on dry roads .

Mike Jung
04-06-2005, 09:19 AM
The stock setting is 30psi COLD / 34psi HOT (& re-adjust them in the morning for cold pressure readings).
I would use the stock setting recommendations as your MINIMUM tire pressure.

I would recommend (cold tire pressures) in the stock size 16" like:
Front: 34psi
Rear: 32psi

Check how/where the tires are wearing/sitting on.
If you look on the tire tread, you can see the edge line where the road is wearing the tire on the outter shoulder.
If it is wearing too much in the middle: use less air pressure.
If it is wearing near/into your sidewall: use more pressure.

On my Bridgestone Potenza RE950 & Blizzak LM-22 tires:
Even at 34 psi, it looks like my fronts could use alittle more pressure.

PontiacGT
04-06-2005, 09:36 AM
i run mine at 32 all the way around, and I check them often.

CoopGT
04-06-2005, 01:18 PM
I posted this question earlier today from work. I decided to call TireRack.com , I talked to a tech and he said that for any tire size(16,17,18 & up) that we put on our cars we should be using the recommended tire pressue thats on the door jamb.

He said the only time you should use more is when your doing alot of Highway driving or when your carrying extra weight in the car or towing. Hope this helps anyone else that may have been wondering .