white smoke from engine compartment [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : white smoke from engine compartment

stingray310
04-06-2005, 11:46 AM
On my 95 GA 3100 I am getting some white smoke coming from the back of the engine below the coil packs. I can't really get behind there and haven't had time to seriously look at it yet but I was just wondering where it could possibly be coming from. It also looks as though there is a little bit of oil that may be squirting out because some of the plug wires and other wires back there have oil on them. I'm thinking the smoke may be caused by oil getting on the exhaust manifold and then smoking. Does anyone know if there is some kind of oil sensor or something on the back of the engine that could be leaking when the oil pressure gets built up to a certain pressure.

Also, I'm not sure it is related but could be, but I have been occassionally getting a check oil and check gauges light that blink on for about a second and then go off. But the oil pressure seems to be OK and I have checked oil and the level is fine. If anyone knows what this could be or what sensors are on the back of the engine please let me know. thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Thanks,
Stingray

CoopGT
04-06-2005, 02:21 PM
At a guess I'd say your valve cover may be leaking . Your car is 11 yrs old , gaskets get leaky after awhile.

SilverGAGT04
04-09-2005, 06:27 PM
Possibly a p/s leak in the high pressure hose.

tenspeed
04-09-2005, 06:35 PM
White smoke means a Pope has been chosen.

stingray310
04-11-2005, 09:05 AM
Possibly a p/s leak in the high pressure hose.

You were exactly right SilverGAGT04, it was the power steering hose on the top end by the ignition coils and alternator.

It was kind of a relief for me to find out it wasn't something with the motor, but I'm still not sure how to fix it. Do I have to replace the whole hose and is there a fitting below the master cylinder to unhook it and how do I get to it? Or is there some way to repair or patch the hose while it is still on the car? I didn't get the car up on the jack and look under it yet to see if I can get to the other end of the hose under and behind the master cylinder, but I couldn't see a connector from the top.

thanks for the help and any further help you can give me.

Thanks,
Stingray

SilverGAGT04
04-11-2005, 06:17 PM
No problem on the help. The hose/pipe is all one piece. It hooks to the steering gear. It is not possible to get at by having the car on jacks and jack stands. The reason why is because the cradle (the frame that holds the engine and trans to the body) has to come down about 1 foot to reach it. It is a real pain to do. It would be safest if you had someone do it at a shop, or the dealer. Sorry buddy.