Power Steering Pump leaving from CAP [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering Pump leaving from CAP

bigbangtech
04-06-2005, 07:18 PM
I have a 99GASE V6 Automatic.

The power steering pump is making a whining noise, but also it's leaking from the Fill Cap.

When you unscrew the cap, it releases a LOT of pressure, and some fluid residue spits out.

Would a leak in a hose, or pump damage be causing this overpressure condition?

(I'm assuming that there being too much pressure when you open the cap is NOT normal?)

NorKoastal
04-06-2005, 08:21 PM
Same on mine...

2002AmSE
04-07-2005, 09:40 AM
Air in the lines or foaming of the fluid would cause overpressure like that. Usually when I open my PS cap I get a slight hiss kindof like opening the top of a pop bottle, but not as much air comes out. If the fluid is above the proper level the pressure will be higher or if the fluid is expanding more than it should.

I would try the air removal method of turning it lock to lock a few times with the cap off. I remember some people saying to jack the front end up while doing this, im not sure if its necessary or not.

...or the fluid could just be old and the defoamer is failing

Joker694
04-07-2005, 09:51 AM
i dont think the whining is anything besides the a noisy pump. i just replaced mine and it is loud as hell, but it works great. sounds like you have too much fluid or air in the lines

atc3434
04-07-2005, 10:49 AM
There is actually a TSB about this somewhere, there is a fitting in the powersteering pump that can be drilled out to lessen the pressure somewhat, and it reduces the noise. I haven't done it w/ mine cause its a pain, I don't feel like tearing into it, I don't really hear the noise much over the SLP anymore.

Joker694
04-07-2005, 10:54 AM
#99-02-32-002 Tech - Pwr Strng Sys Noise Concerns (Replace PSS Hose, Enlarge Sys. Restrictor) - (May 7, 1999)

atc3434
04-07-2005, 10:56 AM
Thats the one!

Joker694
04-07-2005, 10:58 AM
dont you just love being bored at work :doh:

bigbangtech
04-07-2005, 10:59 PM
There is actually a TSB about this somewhere, there is a fitting in the powersteering pump that can be drilled out to lessen the pressure somewhat, and it reduces the noise. I haven't done it w/ mine cause its a pain, I don't feel like tearing into it, I don't really hear the noise much over the SLP anymore.

I drilled out the restrictor with a 9/64" bit as per the TSB but it still whines and is ovrepressurrized. I have seen a lot of foam lately. I will replace the fluid and fill it to the proper level. We'll see what happens.

kong
04-12-2005, 07:33 PM
my 99 gagt does that too. 1. how can you change the fluid? 2. what is a tsb and how can i find it? 3. can just simply changing the fluid get rid of the hissing?

badboy2451
04-12-2005, 07:36 PM
mmm..my 99 does this too, anybody have any luck fixin this???

Joker694
04-13-2005, 05:22 AM
my 99 gagt does that too. 1. how can you change the fluid? 2. what is a tsb and how can i find it? 3. can just simply changing the fluid get rid of the hissing?

You can find what a TSB is here...http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1137

And a list of them here...http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=438

the one I posted above is the one specifically relating to the power steering pump

bigbangtech
05-15-2005, 10:25 PM
I have a 99GASE V6 Automatic.

The power steering pump is making a whining noise, but also it's leaking from the Fill Cap.

When you unscrew the cap, it releases a LOT of pressure, and some fluid residue spits out.

Would a leak in a hose, or pump damage be causing this overpressure condition?

(I'm assuming that there being too much pressure when you open the cap is NOT normal?)

Well it's still leaking from the cap. I used a fluorescent leak detector to check for leaks and I don't see any leaks anywhere along the hoses, steering gear, or connections on the pump/reservoir.

It's most likely not a bad cap or hose leak since there is residual pressure that spits out hours or a day later when the cap is opened.

Would this point to an internal pump problem that is feeding pressure into the reservoir?(I would assume pressure from the pump should go OUT the high pressure line, not INTO the reservoir!) :rolleyes:

Can anyone familiar with PS confirm if its normal for the reservoir to be pressurized like this?