Reattaching Headlight [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Reattaching Headlight

LaFFi
04-07-2005, 06:31 AM
There was condensation in my headlight a couple years back (2001 Grand Am) so I lifted up the plastic guard, lifted up both metal clips, pulled out the casing, and found the problem was with a broken ring around one of the lights. When I reattached the headlight it was not alligned right. There was about 1/4 inch sticking out of the side of the car. 3 of us couldn't get it in there correct. I gave up and have been driving like that. Well, the same headlight needed work again. Another ring had broken. Well after putting the headlight back in, it's sticking out more than before. The black molding around the light is fully exposed on the side of the car.

Any suggestions?

kazakaz
04-07-2005, 07:04 AM
Same thing happened to mine when I changed my bulbs. The pointed side of the housing sticks in too far. I was thinking just re-aligning it would fix it, but I haven't had the time, or the Torx driver, to do it.

LaFFi
04-07-2005, 08:00 AM
I read the how-to on replacing a headlight bulb. I think I did all that right, but obviously the lamp isn't in correctly. I'll try again.

Kdawg207
04-07-2005, 08:17 AM
sounds like you need to re-align

using the tork screws

one sec...ill find ya something

Kdawg207
04-07-2005, 08:19 AM
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9055&highlight=align+headlight

also....you dont need a torx driver

if you have a cordless drill with the bit that allows interchangable bits...the attachment empty without a bit in it fits the aimers

good luck

tenspeed
04-07-2005, 12:23 PM
If you have all three legs seated in their sockets, that's all you can do. My housing sticks out a little at the fender.

LaFFi
04-07-2005, 05:02 PM
OK. I the lights are currently alligned as far as my quick park by a wall test. Its just the the housing sits out to far as compared to the driver side housing which as never been touched. Its really not a big deal, but I how can you tell if the lower bracket attachs correctly? I know the top two are locked but maybe the one underneath is off causing the housing to be slightly off.

Thanks