Front brakes "clacking" during braking [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Front brakes "clacking" during braking

bigbangtech
04-07-2005, 11:05 PM
I have a 99 GASE and while braking lightly(amount varies each time), I can hear some kind of "clacking". I suspected a brake shim, so I removed the front driver tire and caliper. I saw some gunk on the inboard pad along with some seepage from the piston. I cleaned up the gunk and seepage and reassembled the caliper and tire.

The noise went away for about 10 miles but then slowly started creeping up again. Another thing I noticed is that when it rains or you go through a puddle, the driver frotn caliper "sticks". (When you're stopped, and then let go of the brake, you don't feel a smooth "go". You can feel the pads "jerk", just on the driver side).

Could all of this behavior be from the leaking caliper? They're cheap so I'm not afraid of replacing them.

Braves299
04-07-2005, 11:07 PM
You don't have a bent wheel, do you? The distance from the caliper to the inside of the wheel is so small, so check the inside of the wheel.

bigbangtech
04-08-2005, 12:33 AM
You don't have a bent wheel, do you? The distance from the caliper to the inside of the wheel is so small, so check the inside of the wheel.

I don't think the wheel is bent but I will check it out tomorrow. I'm pretty sure it's not because it didn't reoccur for a while after I cleaned the caliper. Didn't hit any bumps before it started again.

GrahamKracka
04-08-2005, 01:28 AM
I had this problem when my brakes were worn to all hell

Braves299
04-08-2005, 01:32 AM
Check your pads themselves. Check to make sure there is even wear all around. I had a similar problem when my rotors were warped. They were getting so bad that they started to break the pads apart. They even got so hot, that they started to melt the surrounding boot. If that boot is melted, then that would explain the leakage you had. You may need a CV boot.

GrahamKracka
04-08-2005, 01:39 AM
^ actually my current set of pad look like ass.....my rotors may be warped....great

sorry for the momentary thread jack

Braves299
04-08-2005, 01:43 AM
Well I may be wrong because I'm certainly no mechanic. Buuuut I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express lastnight.

Mike Jung
04-08-2005, 03:36 AM
...Buuuut I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express lastnight.
lol

Now why is that funny & where have we heard that from before :confused:

[I seem to remember that someone else said that before.]

bigbangtech
04-08-2005, 09:47 AM
Check your pads themselves. Check to make sure there is even wear all around. I had a similar problem when my rotors were warped. They were getting so bad that they started to break the pads apart. They even got so hot, that they started to melt the surrounding boot. If that boot is melted, then that would explain the leakage you had. You may need a CV boot.

Haven't got a chance to check the wheels being bent, but the pads and rotors where in perfect condition. Go figure

Kdawg207
04-08-2005, 10:02 AM
lol

Now why is that funny & where have we heard that from before :confused:

[I seem to remember that someone else said that before.]

it's from their commercials

SilverGAGT04
04-08-2005, 07:46 PM
This is going to sound nutts, but the sound you hear is caused by the caliper piston moving in the bore. There is a fluid that fixes this, and it is called Kluber Fluid. I swear to GOD on the name. It can only be gotten a GM dealer. It goes between the piston and the piston dust boot. You need one bottle per side and need to use the whole bottle per side. It is a red fluid, GM part number #89022161.

bigbangtech
04-08-2005, 09:59 PM
This is going to sound nutts, but the sound you hear is caused by the caliper piston moving in the bore. There is a fluid that fixes this, and it is called Kluber Fluid. I swear to GOD on the name. It can only be gotten a GM dealer. It goes between the piston and the piston dust boot. You need one bottle per side and need to use the whole bottle per side. It is a red fluid, GM part number #89022161.

That does sound wacky. Is the piston loose in the bore and the fluid fixes this? If even replacement calipers do this and the fluid helps, that's really sad. lol

bigbangtech
04-08-2005, 10:38 PM

I found a TSB on the forums explaining this whole mess. I'll pick up a bottle and see what happens!

Creaking Brakes (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showpost.php?p=509507&postcount=19)

SilverGAGT04
04-09-2005, 04:17 PM
I did it under warranty to my car. It goes away.