Engine Loud Sounds Sometimes? HELP! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Engine Loud Sounds Sometimes? HELP!

Pimpsupp247
04-08-2005, 10:19 PM
I just got back from taking my girlfriend home and after i started my car and put it in reverse (which i think the problem starts when i put it in reverse) I didn't notice anything till i got down my street when i was braking. If i hit the brake and let go of the brake (without even touching the gas) My car started speeding up!! After a few seconds too of leaving my engine started getting louder and louder and i was REALLY freaking out cuz i thought it was gunna blow or something... I was at a LONG ass red light and i decided to see if that thing where i let go of the brake and my car would go forward reallllly fast would happen and it did... So i put my car into park and WOW did my engine get even more louder... ( kinda like the sound where u hit the gas when ur in park or Neutral...) so i hurried and shut my car off in the middle of the street and then waited 5 seconds and turned it back on and its fine....I remembered this happened like a week ago to me , I noticed my car was driving strange and fast when my foot wasnt even on the gas and i wasnt going down hill and after i braked my car would speed up without touching the gas....And my car was running MUCH MUCH louder than normal...So i turned my car off in a parking lot and turned it back on and perfect, no problem. What the hell is going on?? I'm kind of scared my car is gunna blow up or something!! But I will try and take it somewhere Monday to get it checked if I have time cuz i work all weekend so maybe someone here has an answer....I'll tell everyone some other things i've noticed too in the past 2 weeks. For one, I was driving home from work and the "Low Coolant" light came on and flashed for like 1 second and then went off...I didn't worry too much and didn't do nothing cuz it hasn't said anything since???? Mystery to me. Next thing is that when i turned my car off after i got home a little bit ago (and i noticed it earlier too) I heard like steam sounds or like a spraying sound in the front of my car, so i put my head down there in the front bumper and nothing was coming out but i still heard it coming from there untill it faded away. Lastly, my Plasmaglow 7 color underbody kit is ****ed up i just noticed yesterday....The Red and Yellow and some other colors dont work on my drivers side tube, but blue, green, and aqua show up on all 4???? I dont know if any of this has anything to do with anything or not but I hope there is someone with an idea and a CHEAP fix...(BTW my car has almsot 70,000 miles on it)

tenspeed
04-09-2005, 07:58 AM
I'm no expert on your problem but it could be a throttle posision sensor (TPS). Do a search and see if it fits your problem.

The "Low coolant" light and the "steam sounds" might actually be low coolant. Check the engine coolant bottle.

GrahamKracka
04-09-2005, 08:01 AM
TPS is a def posibility....either that or your cruise control is ****ed up...or hell it may be a tranny issue...

and you may have a lim leak if you low coolant light came on....not cheap

and i have the "steam" sound eer since iv had my car...nothing major

SilverGAGT04
04-09-2005, 03:55 PM
It sounds like a PCM or IAC problem. The IAC controls the idle speed. The best bet would be to take it in, or if you want, replace the IAC.

Pimpsupp247
04-12-2005, 04:19 AM
When this problem occurs I've tried testing something. When I said my car started speeding up after hitting the brakes or even being completely stopped i tested this on a pretty straight road. The speed limit was 35 mph so I got up to that speed and let go of the gas, my car glided for a mile on 35 without me even hitting the gas!! Like cruise control was on or something but it wasn't?? See my other post about my ignition getting stuck, could this all be the same problem?

tenspeed
04-12-2005, 06:19 AM
Open the hood and with the engine off, try opening the throttle to see if it closes. It may have some kind of shield or guard over it. It could have something on the outside or inside that keeps it open or it needs lubrication. Sort of a long shot but easy to check.

You could also disconnect the cruise control throttle cable to eliminate that part of it.