Aargh!!! Stupid %#*@ fuel rail!!! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Aargh!!! Stupid %#*@ fuel rail!!!

mfuller
04-09-2005, 10:05 PM
Okay....this thing is really ticking me off.

I'm trying to unbolt the fuel rail (with the injectors) from the supply and return lines and I'm getting nowhere fast. I was able to unscrew the supply line to the fuel rail, but the sucker seems like it's welded in there. I know there's an o-ring in there to seal it, but jeezus....

Likewise, I can't budge the large nut on the return line that attaches to the bottom of the FPR. I got the small torx screw out of the brachet that secures the FPR to the rail, but I still can't get the FPR off the fuel rail - it should just wiggle up and off, right?

Any suggestions from those who have done this would be greatly appreciated. I've looked at the how-to's already BTW, and my Helm's manual doesn't give away any secrets, either.

iceman
04-09-2005, 10:29 PM
Ok... If the fitting is loosened.., you have to pull.. hard. Mine was super stubborn too, I thought I was gonna break it, I just pulled the crap out of it and it came out. Did you already pull it up so the injectors are out of the lim?? makes it easier to wiggle it off when you grab the whole rail ..

Ditto for the FPR, wiggle and it comes right off once that torx is out.

If it's a total loss you can get the tool to take the flexible fuel line off the hard line.. but you shouldn't need to do that.

mfuller
04-09-2005, 10:40 PM
I've already pulled the rail/injectors assembly from the LIM.....I'm almost thinking it'd be easier to re-bolt the rail assemly to the LIM to get that blasted supply line off...

The FPR is being a real pain in the arse too...I can wiggle it the smallest amount, but it doesn't want to come off the rail....

Sigh...I'll try again tomorrow. Already have the power steering pump off, so I'm actually ahead of wher I wanted to be for today.

iceman
04-09-2005, 10:51 PM
What are you doing, an LIM gasket change??

Sometimes its good to step away from something and come at it with a fresh start... amazing how that works lol

Make sure you replace the o-rings, they have a tendency to disappear. gl, call me if you need anything.

mfuller
04-09-2005, 11:09 PM
Yup, LIM gasket change...along with a few other things. Ported heads plus basic maintenace stuff - new O2 sensor, new plugs, wires, cleaned and flow-balanced fuel injectors, a fancy AFPR (it just looks so much nicer than the stocker), new fuel filter.

Oh, and I have to send my corroded headers off to be blasted and re-coated (mercifully, under warranty).

iceman
04-09-2005, 11:13 PM
Sounds like fun.. The LIM bolts that are on a funny angle and kind of hidden, an offset ratcheting wrench works wonders..

My headers are off too, all kinds of rusty lol . Cat was clogged as all hell too.

Malaclypse
04-10-2005, 01:14 AM
Whenever I do LIM gaskets on a 3x00 that lacks the quick disconnects, I find tying the fuel rail to something like the master cylinder with a rag works well. Forget taking all that apart. Takes too much time.

eric99gt
04-10-2005, 08:41 AM
also be sure you disconnected the clamp that holds the two lines together farther down along the lines. I couldn't get mine off at first. Once I unbolted the clamp from the heads it slid right out.