Several problems [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Several problems

jwk3465
04-10-2005, 08:43 PM
OK, first of all, I have had the LIM gasket problem. I happened to take my 2000 GAGT in because I was slowly losing coolant, and they diagnosed the LIM gasket as being cracked and leaking. After an $800 repair, three months ago, I thought I'd be fine. Silly me. Today, the "Low Coolant" light came on momentarily, and went out after I drove for a few yards. I'm concerned that the same thing may be happening again. Has anyone had this happen? If so, shouldn't the dealership be responsible for taking care of this problem?

What really burns me up is, I've been seeing TONS of comments about this problem on here. It seems to me that this was a design flaw. If that's the case, shouldn't GM or Pontiac be responsible for this repair regardless of WHEN it happens? Unfortunately for me, my car was out of warranty.

I seem to remember reading on here at some point that there are problems being reported about the type of coolant that was used and it's possible responsibility in the deterioration of gaskets in the colling system. Doesn anyone have any additional information on that?

Panacea
04-10-2005, 09:48 PM
It's not the type of coolant, it's the design of the engine itself. The engine has so many angles that the gaskets can't get a good seal.

SilverGAGT04
04-11-2005, 06:05 PM
The lower intake manifold gasket is a low compression seal gasket. When the engine heats and cools as much as it does, the low compression becomes no compression if that makes sence to you. It is just a design flaw, but being someone that benefits from the failure of these gaskets, I need them to fail. Usually if the LOW COOLANT light comes on shortly after an intake reseal it means the low coolant module is contaminated with oil. Check the level and if it is full, you may need one of those.