water pump/power steering pump [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : water pump/power steering pump

badboy2451
04-11-2005, 08:05 AM
so a couple weeks ago, i noticed that i was leaking coolant everywhere when i pulled into work, so i diagnosed the problem myself to being the water pump. after i replaced it, my belt seem to be squeaking all the time. i tried all i could to get it to stop doing this(dint spray it with anything tho) and it wouldn't. So yesterday, i had to put new brakes on, and my dad decided to take a look at it.

all was good till at nite when i started my car after playin basketball for a little bit and the belt was goin nuts as soon as i started it. it would squeak when i started it, then stop, then when i would make turns, it would be really loud again.

this morning i was on my way to school and out of nowhere my power steering went out. common sense would say that it is the power steering pump, but i was just wondering what would be causing my pumps to go bad, would it be the belt or something??

SilverGAGT04
04-11-2005, 06:25 PM
Did the belt break? Did the tensioner loosen or break? Is the belt loose or cracked or glazed? Without looking at it, no one can tell.

Braves299
06-10-2005, 10:29 AM
Old thread I know, but what happened with your car? I have the same problem right now because the Water Pump is bad and coolant is being sprayed onto my belt. How much did you pay for a water pump??? Thanks.

badboy2451
06-10-2005, 11:06 AM
it was the water pump, i got it at advanced auto parts for like $30 maybe...not expensive and there is a real good how to somewhere on here to do it yourself

edit: here it is...step by step and easy, just take your time; http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41015

Braves299
06-10-2005, 03:08 PM
Alright thanks a lot!

badboy2451
06-10-2005, 03:10 PM
no problem, if you run into any problems you can pm me or whatever and ill help you out

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
06-10-2005, 10:30 PM
i had changed the water pump on my car a month or so ago and the powersteering belt squeeled like a banshee. i just hosed it down with hot water water in buckets then soaked it with LPS > tkx all purpose pentrant lubricant & protection. worked perfect 100 % gone . and my belt even shows a few hair line cracks too boot. 1998 ga se 3.1 v6

Malaclypse
06-10-2005, 11:11 PM
Whenever you get coolant on a serpentine belt its usually a good idea to replace it. I'm not sure how but from what I've seen the coolant affects the rubber in the belt and makes it more prone to slip.

Braves299
06-11-2005, 12:06 AM
Whenever you get coolant on a serpentine belt its usually a good idea to replace it. I'm not sure how but from what I've seen the coolant affects the rubber in the belt and makes it more prone to slip.

Thats how I knew my WP was bad. It was whining really loud. I opened the hood and could actually see coolant being sprayed towards me after hitting the belt.

badboy2451
06-11-2005, 01:17 AM
go gatorback