Key and Ignition Problem [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Key and Ignition Problem

Pimpsupp247
04-11-2005, 07:28 PM
Of course, my luck - more problems with my car. As I pulled into my girlfriends about 3 hours ago and went to turn my car off, my key was stuck in the ignition!! It wouldnt go further than ACC...I could turn the car on and turn it back off but it was still stuck and woulkdnt go to off. I tried putting it into different gears and **** and then trying - no luck....it finaly came out but in the Acc position so my battery on the dash was lit up. I stuck the key back in and it wouldnt turn off nor would it turn on either now. We even tried switching gears and trying to get it off and on too, the gears swithc but no luck getting it to off or on. The keys arent jammed cuz i can put them in and take them out. Her dad just dropped me off and i gave him a spare key just in case mine was bad so i will find out if its a bad key but i doubt it. Anyone know what's going on?

2003GaGt1
04-11-2005, 07:45 PM
Well, dont know exactly whats wrong but if you need a new ignition i may be able to get you a brand new one.

bigbenSC
04-11-2005, 07:46 PM
This happened to mine at one time. The problem was the shifter/ignition switch interlock. A cable connects the shifter assembly to the ignition switch so the car knows only to release the key when it is in park. The problem is that the cable loosens up over time and does not trigger the release. It can be fixed by tightening the cable back up.

Pimpsupp247
04-12-2005, 04:23 AM
hopefully it is that problem above since thats inexpensive...How much is a new ignition anyway? Do you think this problem is related to my other post about my engine and brakes? My girlfriend's dad said its probably the breaks and i need all new brakes and that may why my car was acting up and sometimes shaking when stopped. How much is all new brakes? Well were taking it in around 3 Eastern but it might not get in till tomorow so your guy's help is very appreciative.

Pimpsupp247
04-12-2005, 04:30 AM
Correction: my girlfriends dad said i need new front brakes and new rotors (mine are all rusted but that probably has nothing to do with it)

Pimpsupp247
04-12-2005, 07:46 PM
We got my car to turn on today so i took it home and i can't get into the shop till monday :-(!!! So im carless till Monday...I can turn the car on but when i turn it to off it only goes to Acc. So the battery is being used since the battery light came up on the screen thing, so my car died in my driveway. I went out there a little bit hoping the key would switch to off but it wouldn't and none of my interior lights work now and the only thing displaying on the screen is service engine soon. Is leaving my battery connected going to hurt my car or the battery till Monday?