How to change ignition.... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : How to change ignition....

smiley68
04-17-2005, 07:18 AM
my ignition is locked up how hard is it to change the ignition in a 99 ga...i have done it in my old truck not to hard is it ppl? in a ga since you don't even hafta take the steering column off or nuttin....welp wish me luck

welp its just where the key goes in that is just the ignition coil correct....

smiley68
04-17-2005, 06:06 PM
ok i figured it out its the ignition lock cylinder i must change how hard is this.

and how much does it usually cost?.....

Helmut
04-17-2005, 09:43 PM
I replaced the ignition cylinder in mine due to a nice problem with the Passlock thinking I was stealing my car :rolleyes:

If the cylinder is actually locked, it's going to be a major PITA to pull it. In order to get mine out, I had to turn the key to "run." After that, just pull the cylinder out. If you can't get it to turn at all, you'll probably have to take it to a locksmith and have them drill it out. The new cylinder was $90 from gmpartsdirect.

Malaclypse
04-17-2005, 10:19 PM
To get a frozen cylinder out of the ignition switch you basically have to drill out a specific pin in the cylinder itself. I wouldn't reccomend trying this yourself if you don't know EXACTLY where it is because you might drill the wrong part of your ignition switch and cause a big electrical failure.