Another Defrost Question [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Another Defrost Question

Trippy1234
04-18-2005, 03:43 PM
The connector for the drivers side power wire broke off of the rear windshield, would somebody happen to know the proper way to reattach it? Solder maybe?

Thanks!

Trip

:hang:

SilverGAGT04
04-18-2005, 05:54 PM
If you try to solder it the window may crack. Call around for a professional opinion.

Trippy1234
04-19-2005, 06:54 PM
I'll do that.

Clyde
04-20-2005, 06:15 AM
I think the solution here is quite obvious ... DUCT TAPE!!

Im not jokin here ... im talkin from experiance. Works good!! Just cut a small piece big enough
to fit so you cant really tell its there from the outside. Or you can use that ""JB Weld"" stuff

Matt95GT
04-20-2005, 07:04 AM
I resoldered mine back on. Hardest soldering I've ever done.

It may be easier to use some type of adhesive to hold it on, then solder around the tab to reconnect it electrically to the grid pad. I tried the solder first... I was a bit nervous about the glue igniting should there be resistence and heat.

andrews31
04-21-2005, 11:10 AM
Hey i have the same problem and its on my drivers side too. Can you JB weld it cuz that would probly b the best. Has anyone tryd this?

1coop44
04-21-2005, 11:47 AM
I'm going through the same thing only the passenger side. Though I'm getting it fixed under warranty. Sounds like they may end up replacing the rear glass . Still waiting for a call back from the dealer on this.

tenspeed
04-21-2005, 12:14 PM
If there is a way to fix it, there should be a tube or bottle of it at the auto parts store. They sell the conductive paint to repair the lines, maybe that would hold it.

CoopGT
04-21-2005, 05:02 PM
Hey Tenspeed if I wasn't having it fixed under warranty I go out & get some conductive epoxy. Or I'd solder it myself. Heat the glass with a heat gun from the outside then use a big soldering Iron . Nothing to it.

AaronGAGT
04-21-2005, 11:18 PM
Drive to practically any store that sells automotive parts and ask for a rear defrost repair kit, its like $5 and simple to use.

Malaclypse
04-22-2005, 12:51 AM
Conductive epoxy... The defroster grid repair kits people mention above would likely work.

replica9000
08-21-2005, 11:58 PM
Mine just broke off of the drivers side too. I tried fixing it but it either doesn't work or it gets a little too hot to trust. I've already melted a paperclip trying to fix it.

KPimm
08-22-2005, 11:53 AM
Conductive epoxy... The defroster grid repair kits people mention above would likely work.
These epoxies work, but they may not last long. I guess it's better than replacing the whole rear window.

99GAGTX
08-22-2005, 12:35 PM
The rear window defroster repair kits I've seen are for repairing the lines going left to right accross the window. I used a soldering gun to repair the broken terminal you mention on my old Cavalier. The larger the soldering tip you can find, the better.

Has anyone tried using that Cold Heat soldering iron for this? A buddy of mine had one of those things, and the tip snapped after a week.

Quaf069
02-25-2006, 12:06 PM
Mine look like they are making the connection. However, both (passanger Side and Driverside) are not working. Not sure what is wrong/what I should look for...

Thanks

replica9000
02-25-2006, 08:27 PM
I never tried soldering something upside down before, so I don't know if I wanna risk my tint and interior lol

Panacea
02-26-2006, 01:53 AM
How exactly does one break their rear defroster? I've never quite understood this.

replica9000
02-26-2006, 07:55 AM
Sometimes it gets to hot for itself and comes undone.

tenspeed
02-26-2006, 07:55 AM
How exactly does one break their rear defroster? I've never quite understood this.

Could be a tossed article of clothing, riding crop or a body part flailing about that hits the connection.

gectek
01-28-2007, 03:18 PM
ok so im reviving this one, i have the same prob on my pass side, and i tried some silver based liquid solder and id didnt work, so i was thinking to use solder and melt some on the metal conn first, then put the conn up to the window and heating from there, or has anyone heard of a better way to fix this? i would also like to know which epoxies are conductive.

also did anyone try the rear window defrost repair kit with the black spray crap?

B0000rt
01-28-2007, 04:39 PM
Regular rosen core solder should work.

Just make sure you clean the contacts with some acid flux before doing anything.

What I did was grabbed my trusty 30 watt soldering iron, ran an extension cord from the house into my car.

Cut abit of solder and placed it in between the window contact point and the lead, and pressed the soldering iron on it until it melted and oozed out abit. Held the contact on with a pair of pliers for a few more seconds while blowing on it and it held!

gectek
01-28-2007, 04:40 PM
yah thats what i thought, but i have the cold heat gun also, so instead of an x cord, i can use that, i was gonna do that, but didnt know if it would hold or not. i guess ill see what i can do with it. thanks

lone_wolf025
01-28-2007, 06:51 PM
If you're gonna repair it yourself be very careful. I saw one repair job completely shatter the entire back windshield.

gectek
01-28-2007, 07:33 PM
ill make sure not to use a BFH...lol, let u know how it goes

B0000rt
01-31-2007, 10:00 PM
ATTENTION ATTENTION

Don't solder it! It doesn't hold :( Mine fell off after about 2 weeks, so I just bought the rear defrost repair kit .

It's called a Permatex Electrically Conductive Rear Defogger Tab Adhesive...

Should be no less than $10!

gectek
01-31-2007, 10:07 PM
ok, so you dont happen to have the p/n do you

gectek
01-31-2007, 10:20 PM
ah hah, p/n 21351, the permatex conductive tab adhesive

DIRECTIONS FOR USE
1. For best results, the ambient temperature should be at
least 50F during application.
2. Turn off the rear defogger. Carefully remove the wire
from the tab.
3. Ensure that the tab is flat and makes complete contact
with the mounting surface.
4. Clean the lead attachment area on rear window and tab
with alcohol. Note: Do Not mount tab on the same grid
area if the grid has been removed from the glass. There
must be grid so that a complete circuit can be made.
5. If grid has come off with tab, rub tab on a flat piece of 180
grit or finer sand paper until surface is flat and of same
color.
6. Squeeze activator ampule between thumb and forefinger
until the vial inside breaks, releasing activator to the felt
tip. Remove paper sleeve.
7. Apply activator to lead attachment area on window and
tab. Allow activator to dry for at least 5 minutes. DO
NOT TOUCH mounting surface of the glass or tab.
8. Thoroughly knead the adhesive pouch until the adhesive
is of uniform beige color. Cut top of pouch. Apply one
drop of adhesive to the center of the mounting area.
9. Immediately apply tab to rear window; hold firmly for 1
minute. Allow 24 hours to cure before turning on
defogger

B0000rt
02-01-2007, 12:01 AM
The one I have has 22437 as the part #

http://www.permatex.com/documents/PermatexCanadaCatalogue.pdf
Last item on page 50

gectek
02-01-2007, 12:08 AM
thats in canada, i can give u the link i used its for permatex US, so that is the US number, and if i saw that right, that is for like a case of 6 it says...dont need that many, lol

in the us youll have to use the # i posted though, canada use the other one

B0000rt
02-03-2007, 01:11 PM
Mine doens't say anything about having the ambient above 50F or anything :(

gectek
02-04-2007, 12:06 PM
well its prob a good idea due to the curing phase, you want that to be really good, i would just put it in a garage and run a heater for a good while to make it warm...er at least, and then try it. hoping that stuff will set up in freezing temps is pushing it i think

B0000rt
02-04-2007, 01:55 PM
well its prob a good idea due to the curing phase, you want that to be really good, i would just put it in a garage and run a heater for a good while to make it warm...er at least, and then try it. hoping that stuff will set up in freezing temps is pushing it i think

Tried it yesterday with -15C weather, it wouldn't stick! I got frustrated and wanted to get out from the cold, so I brought out a hair dryer and extension cord and held it on there so it would cure. Car's been sitting outside for 2 days now, hopefully it sticks!

gectek
02-04-2007, 09:54 PM
that doesnt sound like it will cure right, you might have to pull back and punt on that one...sounds like another dose