Exhaust Leak [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Leak

Breadfan
04-19-2005, 05:03 AM
I've got a rather nasty exhaust leak north of the cat. Makes my car sound like crap which annoys me. It's either the rear bank manifold gasket, or it's one of the gaskets on the downpipe or to the cat. It's so far been hard to find.

Has anyone else gotten a leak like this? If so, what was the culprit?

Also, any tips for finding out? I was thinking I may have to put the car on stands and crawl under while it's running to find out...

I'd rather it be something on the downpipe, that sounds easier to fix than the rear bank manifold...

EASTERBUNNY
04-20-2005, 06:01 AM
3.1 And 3.4s Have The Same E Manifold And They Crack Or In Some Cases Completly Brake The Rear Manifold Right At The #6 Cylinder E Port And It'll Be Hard To Find Because It's Covered By The Heat Shield And It's Not A Very Easy Fix

atc3434
04-20-2005, 02:31 PM
When I did my headers on my car, one of the front lower exhaut manifold studs was broken. Stupid thing was just laying in the heat shield. So its possible that a studs broke, and you've developed a leak there. Mine wasn't leaking, amazingly enough. And, I had to put it all back together with the headers on, minus that broke of bolt, and drive it all the way to NY. Still wasn't leaking then. Had to have the front head off the car to drill out the stud and tap in some new threads. Worked out though, the LIM was ready to go any day looking at the gaskets. Just a thought.

Breadfan
04-20-2005, 03:05 PM
OK I may take this one in to a good exhaust shop I know for atleast diagnosis. If the header itself is bad I'll probably just get new ones from S&S, if it's a gasket I'll have to see...

SilverGAGT04
04-21-2005, 07:41 PM
Usually I find that the cat with down pipe cracks at the flange. Today I had an exhaust leak at the crossover pipe on a 97 Transport van, with the 3.4, so dont rule that out.

Breadfan
04-21-2005, 09:58 PM
I'll toss it on ramps atleast this weekend, when I do my struts (probably next weekend) it'll be on jackstands so if I don't find it on my own by then I'll see if I can have a shop help me out.

I'm gonna check the easy spots first. :)