Where is the crankshaft sensor? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Where is the crankshaft sensor?

howell33
04-19-2005, 07:42 AM
My 92 Grand Am runs fine for about 20 minutes, at operating temperature it shuts off as if you turned the key and it has to sit a while before it will restart. I suspect the crankshaft sensor but don't know where it's located. Can someone tell me?

Matt95GT
04-19-2005, 07:46 AM
Engine type?

If it's a Quad OHC, Quad 4, or Quad 4 HO then the crank position sensor is on the front of the engine, right next to the oil filter. But... I would suspect many other things before the crank sensor... typically when it fails you won't get any spark at all.

EASTERBUNNY
04-20-2005, 04:51 AM
If Its A 3.3 The Sensor Is On The Front Of The Engine Near The Harmonic Balancer

EASTERBUNNY
04-20-2005, 04:56 AM
Also You Can Check To See If It's The Css When It Dies Pull One Of The Spark Plug Boots Have Someone Crank Over The Engine See If You Have Spark, If You Do Then You May Have A Fuel Pump Going Done , Stalling While It's Warm Could Also Be Ignition Module Or Oil Pressure Sending Unit If It Starts To Go It May Be Sending To The Pcm That There Is Low Oil Pressure And The Pcm Will Shut The Car Down To Avoid Engine Damage.

Malaclypse
04-20-2005, 10:24 PM
The 3X/7X crank sensor on a 3400 is in the middle of the rear of the block. Its just above the oil pan.

The 24X crank sensor is behind the crank pulley.