2.4 "Surging" +Sudden loss of power [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 2.4 "Surging" +Sudden loss of power

Rba007
04-19-2005, 02:59 PM
For quite some time now, Ive had bried hesitation after I put gas in the car when I drive away. Now its doing it all the time. Idle is very not smooth.

Today, three times, from the 1-2 upshift, I suddenly lost a good deal of power. Engine didnt die, and it wasnt at all like the transmission was slipping. It was just like the engine was thinking "ohh going fast is fun, oh wait im tired, i need a millisecond nap...".

Its scaring me... In a week I wont have time to take care of car maintenance junk for the rest of the summer.

This is making the Honda CBR down the road for 3400 look appealing. Any thoughts?

I replaced the fuel pump last year, along with having the injectors cleaned. Spark plugs were also new last year (AC Delco's). Fuel filter hasnt been changed since last summer though.

botlfed
04-19-2005, 03:03 PM
my car was surging and idling bad..... turned out it was the MAF
not sure on the 2.4 tho

bp's97gagt
04-19-2005, 04:08 PM
The 2.4s don't have a MAF so it can't be that. I have the 2.4 also and have had this problem since i bought my car 3 years ago. I've done tons of stuff to try and fix it like replacing the throttle body, sensors, gaskets, emission tubing some vacuum lines and connections gas cap, etc. My next move is to replace the EGR valve sensor and maybe even the fuel pump. I have heard that some cars, the fuel pump overheats and doesn't work properly. Also, I am going to have my tranny flushed incase there is gunk stuck in the lines somewhere. My advice is to clean the IAC sensorand check all the vacuum lines for cracks or slices. I'll let you know if the EGR does anything.

botlfed
04-19-2005, 04:12 PM
The 2.4s don't have a MAF so it can't be that.

learn something new everyday :boogie:

Rba007
04-19-2005, 04:48 PM
Ill clean that sensor tomorrow... I dont even know where this pesky EGR thingymajig is.

Rba007
04-19-2005, 06:27 PM
Just thought of something...

I dont know where it is, because I dont have it. My car was built a bit early for that to be installed. I remember, because there was an optino with my headers, with or without EGR... And my year didnt have it. yay. So now what?

atc3434
04-19-2005, 06:34 PM
How bout checking the fuel pressure. A failing fuel pump, or clogged filter for that matter, would cause some symptoms like that. BTW, hows the gas mileage?

Rba007
04-19-2005, 08:26 PM
Gas mileage hanst changed over the last year or so really (when i got the injectors cleaned and the new pump put in, it went way up...).

I havent actually calculated it, but its steady. I drive like theres a brick attached to my right foot so its not as good as it should be. Ill do what I can to get that filter swapped out, but I doubt itll do anything, im not that lucky.

How would I go about checking the pressure easily? Now that i moved to an apartment, dissasembling the car for a day is a bit more difficult. THANKS

EASTERBUNNY
04-20-2005, 04:48 AM
I Would Also Get Some Carb \ Throttle Body Cleaner And Clean The Throttle Body To Remove Carbon At The Throttle Blade This Can Cause It.

Rba007
04-20-2005, 05:28 PM
I know the TB is clean, I check that stuff pretty frequently.

She ran just fine today. Just took it out about 20 miles each way to go to dinner with some friends and it didnt give me any issues whatsoever. Stupid Machines!