Engine idle's at lil over 2,000rpm's???--PLEASE READ [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Engine idle's at lil over 2,000rpm's???--PLEASE READ

ggagt00
04-20-2005, 08:54 PM
i have a 2000 Grand Am GT,.......ok now this had started around last week.. it came and went....but now its comming up all of a sudden frequently when i turn my car on....when in Park, the engine idle's at around 2,000rpms, and then increases slightly...then to top it off....while this is happening, i put it in drive and just drive,,,,so then i notice that when i let off the accelerator it wont decline. my car speeds up about 1mph every 4 secs....so when i am idle'ing when i am driving my car IS ACCELERATING!!!!!...wtf...its not supposed to do that....my car when idling going about like 30mph the engine speeds up and i go faster when idleing.......and get this .sooo, i speed up from around 10mph and i get up to 40mph, where i usualy hear my gears change. but it doesnt it changes at 60!!!!!!!!im confused and dont kno what to do .. im getin the car serviced on thursday for fuel filter replacement, but should i tell them this and what COULD POSSIBLY be the problem?>?..plz help

atc3434
04-20-2005, 10:49 PM
Throttle Position Sensor going bad. (TPS sensor) This is a fairly common thing to have happen on this car, its a pretty inexpensive fix. Any qualified mechanic can should be able to do the job in a matter of minutes.

ggagt00
04-20-2005, 11:02 PM
ok so then for thursday night.. should i ask them to put a new one in when i get it serviced?

atc3434
04-21-2005, 06:49 AM
Well, ask them the check the TPS sensor. Any shop worth their salt will have a scan tool of some sort. With this they can check the voltage of the TPS sensor, It should be around .5 volt at idle, and something like 4+ volts at full throttle. If its bad, which I'm pretty sure it is, they can replace it.

ggagt00
04-21-2005, 08:12 AM
is it cheap?

GrahamKracka
04-21-2005, 08:14 AM
Throttle Position Sensor going bad. (TPS sensor)its a pretty inexpensive fix. Any qualified mechanic can should be able to do the job in a matter of minutes.

dcb2001gt
04-25-2005, 09:06 PM
Definitely TPS, it costs about 25 dollars and takes 3 minutes to do it yourself. They usually last 4 years or around 75k miles.