Strutting About [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Strutting About

T-Hawks
04-21-2005, 06:36 PM
The front struts on my car are starting to go bad. any thing i need to how about before i change them? Am i going to need a coil compresser to do it? Is it better for me do do it myself or should i pay to have it done?

SilverGAGT04
04-21-2005, 06:50 PM
Why are you putting struts in? What is your mileage? I will say this and many people will disagree with me but I have seen 99 GA's with 160,000 miles and they are on OE struts. You donít need to replace struts unless you are experiencing a very bouncy ride. Are you getting a clunk or bang noise?

Jason E
04-21-2005, 07:21 PM
At 160k miles, ANY struts are long shot, whether they're making noise or not. You may not feel the difference when you drive it until you put the new ones in...but any wear item like a strut with 160k on it is probably at twice its reasonably usable life.

T-Hawks
04-21-2005, 07:29 PM
my GAGT has 80k on it. The front end squeaks when i go over speed bumps now. it used to shake like a parkinson's patient at 120 but now it shakes like crazy at 70 mph. I had this happen on another vehicle of mine got the struts changed and it all stopped but i had money then and now that i am in the military i am living on a tight budget and want to get this done as inexpensively as possible.

Jason E
04-21-2005, 07:34 PM
KYB GR2s, assuming they make them for GAs. If they're the same price as for GPs, should be about $225-250 for a set of 4, and should work well.

Sounds like your struts are indeed going bad...

Panacea
04-21-2005, 08:18 PM
My dealer said the struts only need to be replaced if they are leaking or if you press down on the back or front of the car and it doesn't bounce back right away. They said they should last for about 100,000 miles.

T-Hawk, the squeaking noise isn't the strut, it's the strut mount. It's common. New strut mounts will fix that. As for the shaking, it sounds like something other than your struts... Take it somewhere and get it looked at.

Jason E
04-22-2005, 09:47 PM
I humbly disagree with your dealer. I have noticed a significant change in the ride quality of my GP over the 28k miles that I've owned it for. The struts are not leaking, and the car does not bounce up and down in an odd manner. The ride quality is now harsher over bumps though, and I have noticed when I hit expansion joints on the highway that the car "floats" a little more than it used to. Now, I only have 51k miles on my car, most of which are highway (at least during my ownership period). They are far from worn out, but within 30k or so I'll be changing them out for sure.

The change is subtle...but if you owned your car when fairly new (or new) and have put some miles on it, you'll notice a difference....

SilverGAGT04
04-23-2005, 04:59 PM
Usually the noise in the front end is front a worn strut mount and seat. I understand what you mean Jason, but typically, a bad strut is a leaky or bent strut. It is driver preference..