Electrical Problems...sigh. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Problems...sigh.

cash151
04-24-2005, 04:31 PM
Hey guys, haven't been here in awhile. Looking for some help my lovely 2000 Pontiac Grand Am GT. Here's the scoop.

For the past couple weeks, I've been having some problems with the electrical system it looks like.

First thing that happened was the fuel pump relay was acting funny. I would start the car and it would automatically die. That happened for two days and then I was about to leave work and the car would not crank over. So I had to switch the AC relay with the fuel pump relay (same exact one) and it worked fine. I hit it on the ground and put the old fuel pump relay in the AC hole. The AC works fine.

Second, this problem is rather random. When I hit the brakes, everything blinks in the car. Sometimes it blinks so bad my speakers will cut off for less than a second. I will hear a pop or some weird noise like it has some capacidence built up. This is random, doesn't happen all of the time.

Now today, I was about to leave and the car just went crazy. My keyless entry would unlock the doors, but not lock them. It would pop the trunk too. When I unlocked the doors though, it was REALLY slow. When I tried to start it, NOTHING at all. The car would chime at me, but that was about it. I could see some lights on my dash but it was dim. I hooked up the jumper cables from my friends car to see if it was the battery, no go there. We let it sat for about 10 minutes to get a charge and I wasn't getting anything. I did hear a click every now and then when we tried to start it.

So I started playing with the fuses and relays box again. My girlfriend was sitting in the car watching if anything happen. She said that she saw some stuff lighting up when I was pulling some of the fuses and relays. After I took out the fuel pump relay for like the 5th time, I heard some humming noise coming from the battery. So I put everything back in, and it start up perfectly. I had the original fuel pump relay in there too, so I turned it off and put the new one I got. Started up also.

This really ****es me off. My car JUST got out of warranty too, so I'm not going to the dealer. I was thinking it could only be a couple things. One, it's the freaking alternator. Two, it's a ground that broke maybe? I couldn't find anything that was unhooked when I was under the car. Three, it's my starter....but not likely. Four, it was the relay box? But I don't see how this makes any sense.

Please help. :hang:

Malaclypse
04-24-2005, 05:37 PM
Check to make sure you battery cables are tight. After that see if your security light or SVS light is on...

sped
02-18-2012, 01:43 PM
Hey guys, haven't been here in awhile. Looking for some help my lovely 2000 Pontiac Grand Am GT. Here's the scoop.

For the past couple weeks, I've been having some problems with the electrical system it looks like.

First thing that happened was the fuel pump relay was acting funny. I would start the car and it would automatically die. That happened for two days and then I was about to leave work and the car would not crank over. So I had to switch the AC relay with the fuel pump relay (same exact one) and it worked fine. I hit it on the ground and put the old fuel pump relay in the AC hole. The AC works fine.

Second, this problem is rather random. When I hit the brakes, everything blinks in the car. Sometimes it blinks so bad my speakers will cut off for less than a second. I will hear a pop or some weird noise like it has some capacidence built up. This is random, doesn't happen all of the time.

Now today, I was about to leave and the car just went crazy. My keyless entry would unlock the doors, but not lock them. It would pop the trunk too. When I unlocked the doors though, it was REALLY slow. When I tried to start it, NOTHING at all. The car would chime at me, but that was about it. I could see some lights on my dash but it was dim. I hooked up the jumper cables from my friends car to see if it was the battery, no go there. We let it sat for about 10 minutes to get a charge and I wasn't getting anything. I did hear a click every now and then when we tried to start it.

So I started playing with the fuses and relays box again. My girlfriend was sitting in the car watching if anything happen. She said that she saw some stuff lighting up when I was pulling some of the fuses and relays. After I took out the fuel pump relay for like the 5th time, I heard some humming noise coming from the battery. So I put everything back in, and it start up perfectly. I had the original fuel pump relay in there too, so I turned it off and put the new one I got. Started up also.

This really ****es me off. My car JUST got out of warranty too, so I'm not going to the dealer. I was thinking it could only be a couple things. One, it's the freaking alternator. Two, it's a ground that broke maybe? I couldn't find anything that was unhooked when I was under the car. Three, it's my starter....but not likely. Four, it was the relay box? But I don't see how this makes any sense.

Please help. :hang: i'm having the same electrical prob;ems with mine except my fuel pump is fine. as of right now its like the car is totally dead and the battery is new as well. when i turn on the key the check engine light will come on dimly lit and like flicker, when i turn on my hazards they just make a weird buzzing noise. not sure were all the grounds are but i'm not totally sure whats going on with the car. sucks they are great vehicles.