middle of the line brake pad recommendations? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : middle of the line brake pad recommendations?

tenstrum
04-25-2005, 12:44 PM
So what mid-grade brake pads do you all recommend?
I currently have WEAREVER GOLD pads. They cost around $30 a set for front pads from Advance Auto. Any recommendations?

tenspeed
04-25-2005, 07:03 PM
If you like the Wearever Golds, get them again.

www.Rockauto.com has Raybestos and Weaver pads and lots of info.

tenstrum
04-26-2005, 05:39 AM
This is the first time i've tried them.
Any recomendations?

action
04-26-2005, 05:55 AM
I've used Rabestos severe duty and monroe pads from crappy tire and found them much better than the generic pads ive used in the past. The monroe ones also come with all new anti rattle clips for the pads, most others dont.

tenspeed
04-26-2005, 08:04 AM
Many people don't use middle grade pads and talk about it.

They talk about moving up to ceramic pads. I just bought a set from Rockauto for $65. It takes the same amount of labor to install and they should last longer, stop better and run cleaner.

action
04-26-2005, 08:55 AM
Middle line brake pads are more economical for most people that dont race or drive their cars hard all the time. I have never had the need for a high performance brake pad, or one that lasts a long time. The only problem I've seen with long life pads is that they are so hard they accelerate wear on the rotors. As the rotors get thin they are more prone to warping (which is already a problem on these cars). So you really have to upgrade the pads and the rotors which means more $$$ and is really overkill for a daily driver that is rarely driven hard.

I drive ~30k kms per year, run 6-9 auto x events in the summer and I still get a year and a half out of a set of mid grade pads, and I'm over 2 years on my $60 rotors (set, CDN) with no problems with brake fade or warping. I cant see how more expensive pads and rotors can do much better than that.

tenstrum
04-26-2005, 11:49 AM
what type of pads do you use?

Molson
04-26-2005, 12:13 PM
Carquest, the blue pads. (red being economy, blue mid, gold best)

andrewe77
04-27-2005, 09:53 AM
I'm using Wagner ceramic pads. They have a lifetime warranty for wear. I'll be getting a free set sometime because I'm going to drive my car until the wheels fall off, put them back on, and drive it some more.

stangdude
04-28-2005, 09:46 PM
I'm using Morse ceramic pads from autozone, I've used raybestos ceramics before and actually like the morse better. they run around $37 for a set. If you need rotors stay away from the autozone ones though. Good place for pads and bearings, not so good for brake parts.