supercharger problem [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : supercharger problem

sc02grandam
04-25-2005, 03:09 PM
today i was going about 50 on the freeway and i tried passing some vehicle and my tranny downshifted.. but i hardly had any power.. so i took it onto the highway and tried pushing it.. and from the looks of things i think something is wrong with my blower.

first of all the distinctive blower whine is not there at any rpm
second i can barely make the tires chirp on launch whereas before if i floored it at launch my tires would be spinning like crazy
third it feels like a stock alero (which i used to drive) just average power

i did a quick check of the engine bay.. everything looks tight.. nothing leaking.. also after some "spirited" driving the blower was only slightly warm to the touch where before it used to get quite hot... and theres no ses or svs or any other warning lights

any ideas what i should check for? im at a complete loss here

atc3434
04-25-2005, 03:15 PM
Sounds like the blower isn't turning, or at least not building any boost. Perhaps a stripped drive or something to that effect.

sc02grandam
04-25-2005, 03:18 PM
yeah could be.. i think im going to have to take it in to a dealer :(

the car and the blower both have under 25k miles on them

Blackrider
04-25-2005, 11:04 PM
Major Boost leak somewhere.

sc02grandam
04-25-2005, 11:48 PM
if there was a boost leak.. wouldnt i be able to still be able to hear the whine?

Blackrider
04-25-2005, 11:53 PM
if there was a boost leak.. wouldnt i be able to still be able to hear the whine?
It would be more of a woosh or hisss. ANd over the SC wine and engine noise maybe not.

sc02grandam
04-26-2005, 12:01 AM
ill have to listen for that tommorow.. right now it just sounds like the engine.... there is absolutely no whine .. sounds like a stock ga

1coop44
04-26-2005, 04:46 AM
Did the SC belt come off the pully ?

Matt95GT
04-26-2005, 06:36 AM
Check the bypass valve and it's vacuum line.

Schweppe23
04-26-2005, 06:41 AM
BINGO...Bypass Actuator

kubiache
04-26-2005, 07:44 AM
Take the belt off and try to turn it by hand. I suppose there a chance the coupler is damaged. Turn it back and forth to see if you feel any play or if you feel no resistance at all.

- with the bypass actuator, you should still HEAR the blower since that's purely a mechanical sound of them spinning at 12k rpms (or whatever).

Matt95GT
04-26-2005, 07:54 AM
- with the bypass actuator, you should still HEAR the blower since that's purely a mechanical sound of them spinning at 12k rpms (or whatever).

Possibly, but maybe not. I can't hear mine at all when it's not under load.

kubiache
04-26-2005, 07:57 AM
Possibly, but maybe not. I can't hear mine at all when it's not under load.

Well of course, it's not spinning so fast then. The SC doesn't start to whine until it (not your engine) reaches a specific rpm.

Matt95GT
04-26-2005, 08:54 AM
Well of course, it's not spinning so fast then. The SC doesn't start to whine until it (not your engine) reaches a specific rpm.

I can accelerate lightly to 5,000 RPMs and not hear anything until I go WOT. Free-spinning gears don't make much noise in comparison to those turning a load.

It will depend on the blower and how loud other things are... but it's worth checking the bypass.

sc02grandam
04-26-2005, 05:21 PM
thanks you guys.. i will definately be checking htat out.. unfortunately i dont have any of my tools with me.. so im going to have to go home sometime in the next few weeks to see whats up

Vinaashak
05-14-2005, 07:08 PM
If the blower isnt under load then your right it really doesnt make noise. And if the actuator is bad then your just venting all your boost so in affect it isnt under load. I would assume that would be the case anyway. Now with him being on it all the way and not hearing anything it very well could be that. The little actualtor arm could be seized, id play with that. When you have the hood open and rev the car the actuator arm should move to close, if it doesnt move then you know you have a problem with it.

Dave i highly doubt it would be the coupler, remember when mine was going out it sounded like i had a bowl of rocks sitting in the snout. That and if it were to go out there would be some sign as opposed to just loosing power. Im sure you woulda heard something break and rattling around.

lol i didnt see how old this was. Did you get it fixed?

AMRAAM4
05-14-2005, 10:18 PM
I fourth the bypass actuator

sc02grandam...welcome to the world of RX7's lol There are over 45 points (mostly under the manifolds) in the 3rd gen RX7 where boost can leak due to the complicated twin turbo setup. You're experiencing what many posters on that board are constantly lol That's why they go single!!