We Need a dedicated server host company [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : We Need a dedicated server host company

Jeremy
04-27-2005, 07:19 AM
ASO is pretty much forcing us into a dedicated server setup. Not sure why. They're saying our site is killing the shared server we're on. We haven't grown much at all (membership wise) and our bandwidth is pretty much on average for the past 6 months.

What they want to charge for a dedicated server setup is well beyond what we can afford to pay for. They pretty much gave us til the end of the month to make a decision.

I'm investigating/pricing other host companies that offer dedicated server hosting to see where we can get the best bang for the buck that fits in our budget range. If you have suggestions, recommendations, PLEASE POST THEM HERE!!!

tomh
04-27-2005, 07:36 AM
how much bandwidth is used? i can host it at my isp for free.

Jeremy
04-27-2005, 07:42 AM
Here's our current cPanel info:

Shared Ip Address 67.18.70.194
Subdomains 5 / unlimited
Parked Domains 1 / 10000
Addon Domains 1 / 10000
MySQL Databases 4 / unlimited
Postgresql Databases 0 / unlimited
Disk usage 1081.65 Megabytes
SQL Disk usage 563.36 Megabytes
Disk space available 6418.35 Megabytes
Bandwidth usage (current month) 62934.25 Megabytes
Email Accounts 0 / unlimited
Email Forwarders 96
Autoresponders 0
Mailing Lists 0 / unlimited
Email filters 0
Ftp Accounts 3 / unlimited

General server information:
Operating system Linux
Service Status Click to View
Kernel version 2.4.21-27.0.4.ELsmp
Machine Type i686
Apache version 1.3.33 (Unix)
PERL version 5.8.1
Path to PERL /usr/bin/perl
Path to sendmail /usr/sbin/sendmail
Installed Perl Modules Click to View
PHP version 4.3.11
MySQL version 4.0.24-standard-log
cPanel Build 10.0.0-RELEASE 85
Theme cPanel X v2.5.0
cPanel Pro 1.0 (RC2)

Bandwidth info:
Month Bandwidth
Jan 2005 31.02 GB
Feb 2005 30.88 GB
Mar 2005 34.49 GB
Apr 2005 30.50 GB

Jeremy
04-27-2005, 07:43 AM
just an FYI, some of the disk space usage is for my personal site (photo albums, etc.). But our current package includes 5GB of disk space. And the sites SQL DB is only ~600mb.

tomh
04-27-2005, 08:04 AM
wow i dont think our internet connection can handle another 1 GIG of traffic a day sorry

atc3434
04-27-2005, 08:18 AM
Would it make sense to add a subscription option as well as free accounts? I know at Dirtrider.net, a dirtbike forum that I used to frequent, that you could have a free account, or be subscribed. The subscription accounts didn't have as many ads to deal with, and had a few features not avalible to free accounts. The free accounts weren't a limiting factor though, they wouldn't stop a person from using the forum.

Its a thought, anyways. The long standing memebers I'm sure, myself included, wouldn't hesitate to spend something like $12 a year (thats what my subscription costs over at Dirtrider.net) to keep the site alive and growing. The site, like this one, was originally all free, and they had to add subscriptions once it got to a certain point of growth. Obviously there are drawbacks to a subscription system, but if we need more $$ to run a better server, I support the site enough to spend a measly few bucks a month to make it happen, and I'm sure a lot of the others do as well. My $.02.

pontga00
04-27-2005, 08:19 AM
Would it make sense to add a subscription option as well as free accounts? I know at Dirtrider.net, a dirtbike forum that I used to frequent, that you could have a free account, or be subscribed. The subscription accounts didn't have as many ads to deal with, and had a few features not avalible to free accounts. The free accounts weren't a limiting factor though, they wouldn't stop a person from using the forum.

Its a thought, anyways. The long standing memebers I'm sure, myself included, wouldn't hesitate to spend something like $12 a year (thats what my subscription costs over at Dirtrider.net) to keep the site alive and growing. The site, like this one, was originally all free, and they had to add subscriptions once it got to a certain point of growth. Obviously there are drawbacks to a subscription system, but if we need more $$ to run a better server, I support the sight enough to spend a measly few bucks a month to make it happen, and I'm sure a lot of the others do as well. My $.02.

We already do this with the "Premium Membership" - $15 a year I believe.

Jeremy
04-27-2005, 08:31 AM
looking at the following:

http://www.hostpulse.com/hosting/directory/dedicatedhostplan.asp?cid=1967&did=658

http://www.managed.com

Hexx
04-27-2005, 08:37 AM
Lets see...

http://www.ev1servers.net/english/index.asp good company. They have been around for a while now...

http://www.rackspace.com is a very reputable company also.

Jeremy
04-27-2005, 08:54 AM
what do you guys know about VPS (Virtual Private Servers)? they good/bad? any experience with them?

we're trying to keep hosting costss below $70/month.

jbh1130
04-27-2005, 09:19 AM
I recommend rackspace.

I have 3 servers up there currently (2 BSD, 1 WIN2000), excellent company to work with & really good prices.

Jeremy
04-27-2005, 09:27 AM
I recommend rackspace.

I have 3 servers up there currently (2 BSD, 1 WIN2000), excellent company to work with & really good prices.

I just talked to their sales guy. cheapest starting price is $400 a month for a dedicated server... and that's WAAAAY out of our range. unless you guys wanna start paying for the site.

95-GT
04-27-2005, 09:29 AM
Hmmmm, 40 GIG a month tops for bandwidth, I would say that your current host is screwing you around. You should be able to get away with shared hosting. I run quite a few gaming servers, along with owned my own dedicated and shared server in the past and I had more traffic then 40 gig a month and I had no problems.

Jeremy
04-27-2005, 09:39 AM
yeah, I know they're screwing us around. they're saying we're using up 20% CPU usage.. uh we haven't changed DINK with the forum in a long time and things started acting up just a couple weeks ago.

NorKoastal
04-27-2005, 09:41 AM
I would charge more for the Sponsor Ad space and offer discounts for Premium Members for purchases from those GAGT sponsors, a coupon code for discounts(Im sure we have made them 10's of thousands in profit)...... Im gonna support the site and get a prem mem. today.... By the way... Can you make a larger Membership Link??? I think its a little hidden..

jbh1130
04-27-2005, 09:44 AM
I just talked to their sales guy. cheapest starting price is $400 a month for a dedicated server... and that's WAAAAY out of our range. unless you guys wanna start paying for the site.

that's very surprising....there prices must have went up.

I agree, sounds like your current hosting company is skrewing you. that or there servers suck.

Did they give you an information to prove your using 20% cpu?

Jeremy
04-27-2005, 09:44 AM
Hmmmm, 40 GIG a month tops for bandwidth, I would say that your current host is screwing you around. You should be able to get away with shared hosting. I run quite a few gaming servers, along with owned my own dedicated and shared server in the past and I had more traffic then 40 gig a month and I had no problems.

any recommendations for other shared hosting companies then? again, we're looking in the $40-60/range.

Right now our "package" with ASO includes:
5GB server space
unlimited MySQL db's
150GB of monthly bandwidth
the usual other stuff (unlimited emails, free subdomains, etc.)

GAGTSCTGuy
04-27-2005, 09:47 AM
I think we need more premium members here, it's not that expensive people, not considering how much you all use this resource. I understand that some people can't swing $15 a year, but I'm betting that there are a lot of people here who can, but don't, yet use this site a lot!

NorKoastal
04-27-2005, 09:50 AM
There needs to be more incentives for the Membership... Along with that some better promotion for the membership.. A Banner to the Membership link will help a lot..

Jeremy
04-27-2005, 10:00 AM
what sort of "incentives" do you have in mind. I mean it's $15 bucks a year, we get you access to the arcades section, a bigger PM box, oh, and access to all the information here. It's a buck 25 a month for tons of info. throw some ideas out there in the Request and Feedback forum. lets try and keep this thread on topic.

tomh
04-27-2005, 11:10 AM
humm i see i can get a 3Mbps internet connection for $40 a month.. and like $15 for the phone line i would just have to setup dynamic dns. and that would provide a really fast connection for us.

badboy2451
04-27-2005, 01:16 PM
http://www.netsol.com

i dunno...maybe that will work

Jeremy
04-27-2005, 01:41 PM
there's a couple that Ryan and I are looking into right now. debating between hosted and semi-dedicated setups.

95-GT
04-27-2005, 01:49 PM
any recommendations for other shared hosting companies then? again, we're looking in the $40-60/range.

Right now our "package" with ASO includes:
5GB server space
unlimited MySQL db's
150GB of monthly bandwidth
the usual other stuff (unlimited emails, free subdomains, etc.)

http://www.hostforweb.com/vps.html

$40/month will get you the following:

Storage 10GB
Bandwidth 200GB
Guaranteed RAM 256+ MB
Guaranteed CPU 208.8+ Mhz
IP Addresses 3
24/7 Support Yes
Complete Root Access Yes
Personalized Nameservers Yes
Free Cpanel/WHM panel! Yes
NEW! Virtuozzo Power Panel Yes
Unlimitted Domains Yes
Reseller Accounts Setup Yes
Web Browser Control Panel
Web Based Email Access
SMTP Mail Server
Unlimited POP3 Accounts
CGI, Perl, PHP, Java SSH Shell Access
Unlimited Forwarders
MS Frontpage™ Extensions Real Audio/Video
Unlimited Auto-Responders
Unlimited MySQL Databases
MX Record Changes
Unlimited Mailing Lists
PhpMyAdmin Support
Anonymous FTP
Unlimited Mail Blocking
Cron Jobs
Shopping Cart
Unlimited Sub-Domains
Web Based Statistics
Custom Error Pages
Unlimited Email Aliases
Password Protected Files
CGI Chat Room
Unlimited FTP Accounts
Secure Server Includes (SSI)

tomh
04-27-2005, 02:12 PM
not bad price for the gold or platinum plans
$18 and $23

http://www.edkhosting.com/hostingplans.php

(i know its not dedicated, but i really dont think we need that)

tomh
04-27-2005, 02:21 PM
better yet the king package.. unlimited everything is onsale for only 9.99 install of 29.99 per month

http://www.maximumhost.ws/web_hosting/

EskimoMafia
04-27-2005, 02:26 PM
I use to host a website with Lunarpages I never had any problems hosting with them there aways fast and I never had any downtime at all. Here's details on 2 plans they offer

http://www.lunarpages.com/plan.php

I was using the Shuttle Plan they also have Cpanel and all that other stuff u need :P

Setup Fee FREE! *
Unlimited E-mail Accounts
Cost per month $7.95
Unlimited E-mail Forwarding
Toll-Free Telephone Support
Unlimited E-mail Auto Responders
30-Day Money Back Guarantee
Web Mail
Online Control Panel Try it
PHP, PYTHON & PERL
Up To 3000 MB Storage**
CGI-BIN
40GB/Month Bandwidth
ASP, JSP & Servlets available
MySQL Database
Add-On Domain available
99.9% Uptime
3 Parked Domains
FrontPage Extensions
15 Sub Domains
Dreamweaver Compatible
FTP Account
POP3, SMTP & IMAP
SSI - Server Side Includes
Fantastico Script Library NEW
Online User Statistics
2,000 Mbit Connectivity
High-End Servers

If u wanna know anything else lemme know!.

Braves299
04-27-2005, 06:36 PM
I'd be willing to pay as well.

AMRAAM4
04-27-2005, 06:47 PM
^ pay anyway?? The site needs it now just as much as it would need it in the future.

Braves299
04-27-2005, 06:53 PM
True. I will.

badboy2451
04-27-2005, 07:35 PM
paypal sent jeremy...hope it helps

Matt95GT
04-27-2005, 08:21 PM
www.powweb.com
$7.77/month...
5GB disk space, 5GB bandwidth / day, email, MySQL, and all the usual goodies.
Here:
http://powweb.com/PowWeb/OnePlan/Detail

Meets everything except not dedicated :( I've used em for years, and has been trouble-free.

humm i see i can get a 3Mbps internet connection for $40 a month.. and like $15 for the phone line i would just have to setup dynamic dns. and that would provide a really fast connection for us.

You can't host over DSL. That's ghetto for numerous reasons.

not bad price for the gold or platinum plans
$18 and $23

http://www.edkhosting.com/hostingplans.php

(i know its not dedicated, but i really dont think we need that)

Please please please don't use that webhost. I went to college with the admin (Morgan)... he is the biggest tool in IT I ever met. Barely competant with desktop support when I worked with him in college. Moron got busted selling computer parts stripped from old college PCs on the college 'for sale' forum. It wouldn't surprise me if his hosting is running on those old PII boards he took.

tomh
04-28-2005, 05:02 AM
whats wrong with using dsl?

Matt95GT
04-28-2005, 07:50 AM
whats wrong with using dsl?
It would make the situation 10x worse.

1. Read your AUP/terms of service. I gaurantee there will be a section forbidding servers. (and technically Verizon's current AUP bans anything but web browsing and email :rolleyes: ) Some also block port 80.
2. Not reliable
3. Not redundant
4. Central PA has horrible internet infrastructure
5. Asymetrical - Only about 768K upstream.
6. Dynamic IP - it's a joke to attempt to host on them

I hosted a very small website (just a static site, no server-side processing) for years when I attended college in Williamsport, and it was a challenge to keep it running. Even the most basic webhosting available today will beat out any 'homebrewed' server, and actually costs less.

tomh
04-28-2005, 09:55 AM
acutally verizons business package you can run a servers on. ya well your right about the fast that it only does 768kbps but they are very reliable, and if you want redundant how about we go for a dual sonet ring.

btw.. where you go to collge PCT?

iceman
04-28-2005, 10:16 AM
Hosting off a DSL connection, whatever speed, out of your house, = clownshoes.

Dual sonet ring.. you mean protected sonet ring maybe?? Don't toss terminology out to look smart.. lol

:cheers:

Matt95GT
04-28-2005, 10:24 AM
I just checked with a friend from college. He's using ev1servers.net
He has been running several high-traffic sites on it for years.

acutally verizons business package you can run a servers on. ya well your right about the fast that it only does 768kbps but they are very reliable, and if you want redundant how about we go for a dual sonet ring.

btw.. where you go to collge PCT?

Ok, so that will take care of issue #1 and maybe #6. Bottom line, there's no reason to attempt DIY hosting. Being cheaper is a falacy... for webhosting cash you're getting a secured & climate controlled datacenter with DC & generator backup and a solid managed redundant pipe to the 'net.

*offtopic* Yea, I went to PCT... but PM me or something if you want to discuss that further. I don't wanna bloat this thread anymore.

Jeremy
04-28-2005, 11:06 AM
we have a possible dedicated server setup in the works. Checking with other resources as we speak.

erimar77
04-28-2005, 11:25 AM
https://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/hosting/landing.asp?se=%2B&ci=178

the deluxe plan for 9.95 a month meets your requirements

JWeavis
04-28-2005, 11:56 AM
Dreamhost (http://www.dreamhost.com/shared/comparison.html)
Code Monster (Not Dedicated)
1 FREE domain registration
15 full domains
75 subdomains
7680 MB Disk
192 GB Transfer
3000 Mailboxes
375 Users
Miva Merchant License ($695 value)

Limited Time: $16/mo FOREVER

Has great reviews over and Anandtech also.

tomh
04-28-2005, 01:23 PM
Hosting off a DSL connection, whatever speed, out of your house, = clownshoes.

Dual sonet ring.. you mean protected sonet ring maybe?? Don't toss terminology out to look smart.. lol

:cheers:

no i mean a dual redundant sonet rings. you know 2 different optical lines so that it take 2 different paths, so if the one is cut or the equipment breaks the other one will pick right up without any interuptions

oh and you must have missed where i said i owned an isp so i wouldnt be running it out of my house (or i didnt say that in this thread)

iceman
04-28-2005, 01:25 PM
Right.. protected. You're really gonna be in way over your head if you want to get into this type of argument with me :cheers:

but I digress.. back to the topic at hand :ec:

fraws
04-28-2005, 09:28 PM
www.aplus.net

i dont know if listed before but prices here are pretty solid, Im going to setup a page with these guys in May...!

If listed already sorry I dont have the time to read the replies...

zekyl
04-30-2005, 06:51 AM
I sent you an email as well, but check out http://www.geekempirehosting.com. My friend runs the site and they have some pretty good deals all around.

uncle311
05-01-2005, 09:20 AM
Hi I have visited this web site a few times and it's pretty cool that we can talk about our cars, I was reading that you are having trouble finding a server. Check this one out I think it's pretty inexpensive.. www.avahost.net
Thanks for having this website i love it. '99Grand Am GT Coupe
Thanks Shannon

sicc
05-02-2005, 01:08 AM
I use 1&1 servers for my clients. Pretty good company from what I've experienced. I'm not sure if anything falls into your price range, but the url is www.1and1.com .

[edit]
dedicated server

Intel Celeron
2.0 GHz or higher
512 MB DDR RAM
40 GB IDE hard drive
1,000 GB monthly transfer volume

$69/mo

That is the cheapest linux server, its $89/mo for the cheapest windows 2003 server.

Nirbush
05-02-2005, 01:18 PM
I have used this company for 4 of my websites. Now none of my websites compare to ur bandwidth each month, so not sure how the servers would handle it.

I will admit there customer service is email based which sucks, but you can't beat the prices.

Order Order Order
General Account Information
Monthly price if you pay on monthly basis $5.95 $7.95 $9.95
Annual price if you prepay 1 year $47.40
(save 33%) $71.40
(save 25%) $95.40
(save 20%)
Free trial period 1 month 1 month 1 month
Domain Registration (optional) (more) $12/year $12/year $12/year
Disk Space 500 MB 1,000 MB 1,500 MB
Monthly Bandwidth 5,000MB 20,000MB 40,000MB
Server Uptime 99.9% 99.9% 99.9%
Technical Support (free) (free) (free

http://www.epsilonhost.com/?page=info.features&PHPSESSID=e81cbbb5a278c378e19f8eb0bce6ee9f