What's wrong? Shifting problem explained inside. Help please. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong? Shifting problem explained inside. Help please.

frankie
04-27-2005, 02:29 PM
I have a 2000 GA GT. Here is what the car is doing. When acclerating up a hill the car instead of shifting once jumps forward like its going to shift then doesn't then repeats this a few times until it finally does shift.

It only did this on hills before but now its doing it under heavy accelration anywhere. It's almost like the tranny is slipping, yet under normal driving the car shifts fine.

I'm praying the tranny isn't going or that it is something I can fix before a bigger problem occurs. Does anyone know what this could be or has had the same problem? Thanks for your help.

frankie

mr_eh
04-27-2005, 02:56 PM
drive the car hard?

digitalballz
04-27-2005, 03:18 PM
get a tranny service ASAP, and pray that is the end of it.

Kdawg207
04-27-2005, 03:35 PM
Do you have ANY mods what so ever

andrewe77
04-27-2005, 09:47 PM
Is it worse in the summer or when the engine is completely warmed up? The 1-2 shift problem is very common for our car at high milage. It may be the shift solenoid but I'd say live with it. I've had my car in twice for 1-2 shift problems and they say nothing is wrong with it.

frankie
04-28-2005, 10:04 AM
Now that you mention it it does only seem to be the 1-2 shift. It seems worse in the warm weather. It's like it builds up to the shift and tries then fails, tries again then fails, then finally shifts. I had the tranny fluid and filter changed under a year ago already. The car has about 71k on it. Is the shift solenoid hard to replace on your own? How much do they run?

frankie
04-28-2005, 10:09 AM
Oh, I forgot, no mods.

frankie
04-29-2005, 07:02 AM
:whistle:

Weem
04-29-2005, 10:16 AM
Mine does the same thing. Under "brisk" acceleration, it seems like the tranny slips - like it's going to shift then decides it doesn't want to. I've found that if I put the shifter into 2nd gear, it won't "slip". Mine will also "slip" if I'm driving at highway speeds (tranny in 4/overdrive) and try to accelerate even mildly (again, if I put the shifter into 3rd, it won't "slip"). It's like it just doesn't want to go into and stay in the right gear. All of this leads me to believe that the tranny itself isn't the problem but rather something that controls the shifting.

Try putting the shifter into the gear the car needs and see if it still "slips".

andrewe77
04-29-2005, 10:38 AM
I do believe that all the Grand Ams with the 3400 and automatic transmission will behave this way as the milage builds. I don't believe it leads to a shortened transmission life or is an indicator of future transmission problems.

I'll just live with it until I get another car.

grandam-wpg
04-29-2005, 03:48 PM
I do believe that all the Grand Ams with the 3400 and automatic transmission will behave this way as the milage builds. I don't believe it leads to a shortened transmission life or is an indicator of future transmission problems.

Ditto

Weem
04-29-2005, 05:33 PM

I've been living with it for at least a year and it doesn't seem to have gotten any worse. However, I've scared the crap outta myself a few times when trying to pass on a 2-lane highway. The car starts to go then the tranny does its thing and I ain't goin' nearly fast enough to get around the guy in front before oncoming traffic meets me. I had to either do a quick manual downshift to get going or hard braking to get back in line. It sucks. I gotta believe there's a simple cure for this that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

frankie
04-29-2005, 05:58 PM
I'm glad to hear its not a going tranny thing and yet a common problem. But I do agree it is annoying when trying to pass or accelerate quickly. I wonder if there is a simple fix for it? Thanks for everyones input I appreciate it.

Braves299
04-29-2005, 11:16 PM
Mine does that when my cruise control is set on the highway, and i'm going up a mountain. It just gets stuck in between gears. It's gotten bad enough now that I just have to put my foot on the pedal to make it downshift.

GrahamKracka
04-30-2005, 12:10 AM
at least your not on your second tranny at 40K....

GA SE/T
04-30-2005, 01:02 AM
My car has been doing the 1-2 shift "slip"/hard shifting since about 24K. Took it to GM service twice, found no stored codes and told me everything seems fine. :rolleyes: It really bugs the s*** out of me cuz I like it to shift smoothly and when it warms up, I get the 1-2 shift thing and sometimes I can literally feel it through the steering wheel (I've had the tranny serviced 2 times already). What I usually do is take the negative (-) off my battery to "reset" everything for a couple of hours, then put it back on and "WALAAA!!" :metal: shifts like the first day I bought it, smooth and hardly noticeable. It only last for like 2 days at the most then it goes back to its usual shifting. I am almost convienced that it is a electronic issue rather than a hardware issue. I now have 101,093 miles on the car and have to do the battery thing every couple of days. I've posted about this many a times and got the same responses which don't help. Either get used to it, find the cause, or get a new car/tranny...??? My moms Old's is begining to do the same thing so I wonder if it has to do with GM's PCM/VCM controls???? :nervous: I guess I will never know.......... (BTW, I have the 2.4 and I dont horse beat the B****)

rabbitt1100
04-30-2005, 01:11 AM
My car started having these same symptoms at about 60k. My problem was untill recently worse than all of yours (79k), I have even posted about it a time or two. My car would do the same thing and when it would shift it would literally lurch forward and about give me whiplash. Even from outside the car you could see it slam into gear and hear the tranny about to explode. It would do it no matter how I would excelorate, I could be going slow or excelorating fast and it would do it, and around corners, that was dreadful because it would about throw me into the other lane.
Finally after 2 services in the shop I had my last resort of the Auto Trans Interseptor from www.pfyc.com which is the transmiassion upgrade module, I plugged that in and left it at the "minimum" (turn it up and the problem gets worse than before) setting and its running like a champ again, smooth through all gears and no problems as of yet...

AznGA
04-30-2005, 01:45 AM
I have the similar 1-2 shift problem. During slow acceration, my transmission shifts fine, but during wide open throttle, the tranny hesitates after 1st gear and finally catches onto 2nd after 2-3 tries. Before I got my tranny flushed, it used to do it only once in a while, but now it does it everytime I floor the car.

I dunno how unplugging the battery is related to this, but when you unplug the battery, the transmission shifts softly and then after a week or so, it firms up once the computer recognizes the way you drive.

I think it something electrical(solinoid) since I only have a problem with upshifting. My tranny still has good downshifts. But it could also be the worn out tranny itself.

GA SE/T
04-30-2005, 05:50 AM
I dunno how unplugging the battery is related to this, but when you unplug the battery, the transmission shifts softly and then after a week or so, it firms up once the computer recognizes the way you drive.

I think it something electrical(solinoid) since I only have a problem with upshifting. My tranny still has good downshifts. But it could also be the worn out tranny itself.

Thats exactly what I have been doing for a while now, but it's only a temporary solution, unplugging and re-plugging the negative. Now that I remember, it started to creep up after I went to GM for a "recall". I didnt know exactly what the recall was for, but after that I realized I had a speed governor!! :scream: Like I said earlier I'm about 97.896547% sure that it has to be something electrical.

frankie
04-30-2005, 06:11 PM
Okay, so this is a common problem that needs attention. We need a tranny guru or someone to diagnois the problem. This "slippage" sure as hell bothers me. The funny thing is it shifts fine 75% of the time the other 25% I deal with the slippage and the hard, slamming, shifts someone else above explained experiencing.

Well we know we cannot count on GM for a recall so we have to find another fix. Has anyone with this problem replaced the shift solenoid in there car yet? What have the results been?

coupe
04-30-2005, 06:38 PM
blackrider did. Do a search on it.

2002AmSE
04-30-2005, 07:11 PM
Wow, when I disconnect my battery and reconnect(for when I cleared an engine code after checking and fixing it, or when I replaced my battery), my transmission would shift so soft(taking between 1-2 seconds). It had me feeling that my transmission was worn out and the pcm had to compensate for a worn out transmission and i would hope it would adapt as quick as it could so that I wouldn't burn my clultches.

On a regular basis my transmission shfts perfectly below 2500rpm or at WOT redline. The problem comes in between that range. It is the worst at 3600rpm or so, when it shifts, I can feel it release, and when it goes to shift to the next gear it grabs, but releases right when it feels like it was in gear and finally grabs itself into gear. It happens quick but I knew there was a time where it didn't do this. It is audible too, like a ch-ch sound.

I dropped the pan and refilled at about 35,000(fluid coming out looked exactly like the fluid going in), im almost to 47,000 now, I personally don't think its a fluid issue. I assume its just the way the clutch packs act when they wear in/wear out. For the folks who say they can feel it through the steering wheel or it otherwise affects their driving, there would have to be bigger issues than normal wear, personally I would bring it to a trans shop at that point.

Peronsally due to the fact that my transmission feels mushy like apple sauce when my PCM gets reset, I want to avoid doing that, so I will take the following advice... :troll:

GA SE/T
05-01-2005, 01:23 AM
Well we know we cannot count on GM for a recall so we have to find another fix. Has anyone with this problem replaced the shift solenoid in there car yet? What have the results been?

I agree...... :slayer

Peronsally due to the fact that my transmission feels mushy like apple sauce when my PCM gets reset, I want to avoid doing that, so I will take the following advice... :troll:

:iconfused

GA SE/T
05-01-2005, 04:24 AM
So HERE (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36564&page=1&pp=20) is the original thread by BlackRider.

And HERE (http://www.gaownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30602&highlight=Shift+problem) is the possible "fix".

Hmmm, well if you are gonna "fix" this problem, you sure better have some :icyhot: and make sure to use those different shift valves w/ out the bleeder holes.

2002AmSE
05-01-2005, 08:29 AM
Does anyone know how Blackrider's tranny is doing now? I searched his posts and didn't see any recent news about it. I guess I'll send him a PM. I read the fix he did on his car and it seems it was fine, I'm wondering if it is still doing great or not. If my tranny turned FUBAR I think I will be replacing it with one of these used auto parts places that will give me a used tranny for $445 and provide a 90 day warranty on parts and labor, they also provide an extended warranty for it for 1 or 2 years if I want to pay for it. I've seen other yards that would give me the tranny for a cheaper price than that too such as $275 with a 90 day parts-only warranty. At this point my car's shifting isn't horrible but it is at the level where I know it isn't normal. I will hope it doesn't get horrible, but as long as it shifts I wont replace it. ...Crazy how a replacement is sometimes cheaper than a fix, just have to hope the problem isn't present on the used replacement.

:troll: ...I just put that in my last post because I thought it was funny, but what I meant was I won't cause the problem by 'feeding the troll'(unplugging the battery/resetting the pcm).

ShortysTRM
05-01-2005, 09:06 AM
We had this same problem with April's 3.4 Alero. We would always make it downshift and then put the selector into that gear so it wouldn't lunge anymore. That was the biggest thing about that Alero that ****ed me off. In her second 0-60 video, you can hear her car shift out of first early, rev freely, then lazily shift into second. The car's been totalled (rear-ended by a semi) since then.

robry
05-01-2005, 01:36 PM
I have similar issues, however, after buying the DHP the issues seemed to have gone away. I still get a clunk when it shifts from 2nd into 3rd, but thats related to my tranny mount being shot I think. If you put the car in 2nd and get on it hard, it will shift 2nd gear extremely fast/hard, which is great, less time between gears means less wear on the tranny. I did however, experience the horrible 1-2 shift junk when I first had the car. It basically sounds like the tranny skips or slips real bad. These trannies are trash and are made for a granny to drive to the groccery store. I do realize that even normal driving it should operate smoothly, but still, they're junk. I would love to swap in a 4t65HD and be done with this 45 junk.

GA SE/T
05-01-2005, 03:21 PM
...Crazy how a replacement is sometimes cheaper than a fix, just have to hope the problem isn't present on the used replacement.

:troll: ...I just put that in my last post because I thought it was funny, but what I meant was I won't cause the problem by 'feeding the troll'(unplugging the battery/resetting the pcm).

I agree. You will be taking a chance with a used replacement. Might as well get a new tranny or get a rebuild.....I've seen a couple of used trannys w/ low miles on ebay a couple of times.

Oh, at first I thought you were calling me a Troll, I was like :respekt: damnit!!! hehe! But your right, damn f***ing trolls in our cars.......... :nervous: :crying: :cook:

SilverGAGT04
05-02-2005, 06:21 PM
It is the PC solenoid.

andrewe77
05-02-2005, 09:17 PM
What does the "PC Solenoid" do? What does PC stand for?

rabbitt1100
05-05-2005, 05:02 PM
Ok, I cursed myself. I earlier said that the Auto Trans Interceptor fixed the problem... well now its back! It is only 50% of the time that I drive though or anytime after about 30 miles it will do it (still in 1-2 shift and a little chunky on the 2-3 shift sometimes)...

EASTERBUNNY
05-06-2005, 06:09 AM
I Dont Know If If This Will Help You Guys Any But There Is A Tsb On 4t65e 4t40e And 4t45e Automatics For A Pressure Control Solenoid That Is Causing 1-2 Shifting Irregularities Tsb #02-07-30-048 Hope This Helps

SilverGAGT04
05-06-2005, 06:33 PM
PC = Pressure Control. Yes there is a TSB on it for quite a while now. It is a valve in the valvebody. It controls the pressure of the trans fluid thats applied to the clutch packs in the trans.

andrewe77
05-06-2005, 11:27 PM
That TSB is instructions for the technician to use the correct valve. It says that if they don't use the correct valve, the car may have transmission problems. It doesn't say that the current valve is defective and causing transmission problems.

frankie
05-11-2005, 09:45 AM
That's bull****. I cannot take this shifting slippage anymore and it seems as if the solution is very costly. So I'm inbetween a rock and a hard place. :mad:

GA SE/T
05-12-2005, 03:16 AM
That's bull****. I cannot take this shifting slippage anymore and it seems as if the solution is very costly. So I'm inbetween a rock and a hard place. :mad:

I so freaking agree, but welcome to the club :cook:

AznGA
05-12-2005, 02:17 PM
Has anyone gone to a dealer for this problem? How much can they charge just to look at it? My car is out of warranty.

andrewe77
05-12-2005, 03:33 PM
I've had my car in twice for 1-2 shift problems and they say nothing is wrong with it.

It was free the first time and about $35 the second time. I figure it's good to get it documented.

frankie
08-26-2005, 01:59 PM
Has anyone had the PC Solenoid replaced by a dealer? If so how much did it cost and how long did it take?

O1GAGT
08-29-2005, 12:17 AM
I wonder what would happen if you had the parameters in the computer changed to increase the line pressure and remove a little torque management? Might make it shift a little better.

Brken123
12-30-2005, 04:29 PM
Anyone's tranny do this? It's hard to explain, but I'll do my best. Ok...say your coming up to a stop sign. You slow down, and naturally the car downshifts accordingly....but when you get to the stop sign, you don't completely stop. At this point the trans is in second gear, as it won't downshift to first unless you come to a complete stop. Now me (i don't always stop completely at stop signs....depending on where they are ;) ) I'll put my foot back on the gas (while it's in second gear) and it will literally rev up for about a second an a half, as if i threw it in neutral to show off the exhaust or something, and slam back into gear. It's almost as if the computer is telling the car to downshift into first....and as it goes to do it, midshift it realizes it didn't need to, so it goes back to second. It does this about 2 or 3 times until it gets back up into the 3000 rpm range. Anyone have something similar to this happen to them? Any idea's what it is? Bad selonid? Bad bands in the tranny itself? I have about 2000 miles left on my extended warranty, and believe me this is going in the shop. Just popped on here to see if anyone has ever heard of or experienced this?

Brken123
01-02-2006, 10:40 AM
75,530 miles...seems alot of tranny problems happen right around that mileage.....interesting.....right about when you've had the car for 5 yrs.....odd teh average length of car payments is 5 yrs too..

frogsgt
01-10-2006, 11:46 AM
I have a 2000 GA GT. Here is what the car is doing. When acclerating up a hill the car instead of shifting once jumps forward like its going to shift then doesn't then repeats this a few times until it finally does shift.

It only did this on hills before but now its doing it under heavy accelration anywhere. It's almost like the tranny is slipping, yet under normal driving the car shifts fine.

I'm praying the tranny isn't going or that it is something I can fix before a bigger problem occurs. Does anyone know what this could be or has had the same problem? Thanks for your help.

frankie
try getting the trans scanned . it will let u know if something electrical is giving u trouble.

coupe
01-10-2006, 11:53 AM
Get the tranns scanned? Are you a member at gaoc? lol

Brken123
01-10-2006, 04:21 PM
Get the tranns scanned? Are you a member at gaoc? lol

Mind telling us all what the hell that was supposed to mean?