Increasing MPG With Acetone? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Increasing MPG With Acetone?

SkiZZor
04-27-2005, 06:36 PM
I was looking around on a few sites/forums, and I saw a topic on how adding Acetone to your fuel tank can increase your fuel mileage substansially, and can also make your car run smoother. It is said to work because the acetone greatly reduces surface tension in gasoline. This means it burns better and burns less of it. Along with improving your car it also helps reduce hydrocarbon emmisions from your car. So if nothing else, do it for the environment.

I have read that it worked very well for the people who tried it, but I don't want to risk it. There is a whole website dedicated for it if you click on the link below.

http://www.pureenergysystems.com/news/2005/03/17/6900069_Acetone/

It would be amazing if it truely does work, although I am afraid to try it. Anyone else have experience with this?

JohnnyB4439
04-27-2005, 06:59 PM
Looks very interesting, but you just never know though...

digitalballz
04-27-2005, 07:15 PM
interesting. I wouldnt want to try it on my daily driver, or anything i really liked. Maybe try it on a crapbox first.

2002GT
04-27-2005, 07:21 PM
rent a car and try it lol

SilverGAGT04
04-27-2005, 07:50 PM
I actually just started my crusade to get the biggest MPG from my car. Right now I am getting 25 mpg by putting a 150ohm resistor in my IAT sensor connector. This is up from 18 mpg. Also I have changed my driving style quite a bit. Next is going to be a 210* thermostat. Well, was... I was going to. Now I am going to finish this tank I am on now and I will try this and report in on it to you guys. I am still under factory warranty so I am not worried about anything. Plus, I work at the dealership, so to be honest with you, I AM WARRANTY! Right now I clear 300+ miles to a tank so it takes a week to burn a tank. This might be fun, and I hope it works....

JohnnyB4439
04-27-2005, 08:05 PM
rent a car and try it lol

perfect idea lol

andrewe77
04-27-2005, 09:44 PM
Sounds like a real load of crap to me.

SilverGAGT04
04-29-2005, 06:48 PM
I installed a breather filter to make sure I have fresh air going into the crankcase. The last tank of gas that was just gas ended at 23.4 MPG. (it has been cold out here lately) I drive a mix of city and highway driving. I drive about 60% highway and 40% city. So after I filled up the gas tank today with 87 octane from Mobil, I added 1.5 oz of acetone. This is pretty close to the 1 oz per 10 gallons. (GA's have a 14.1 gallon tank, 99-04) I will definatly let you know what I get for mileage and power increase. I did a lot of research on this before doing this. It looks very promising. Ill keep you all up to date.

videoman
04-29-2005, 10:42 PM
Keep us posted, it could be interesting.

SilverGAGT04
05-02-2005, 08:09 PM
Well, I finished the 1.0 oz per 10 gallon ratio and it is still 30-40* outside. Well I averaged 25.8 MPG. That is over 2 MPG gain. I just put the 1.5 oz per 10 gallon ratio in there. In a few days I will let you know what I get. I talked to a Engineer about this and he said no way will it work....he was wrong. Ill let you know in a few days what is up.

Molson
05-02-2005, 08:14 PM
will probably have to test it over a month and a few tanks to get a proper result.

andrewe77
05-02-2005, 08:42 PM
Well, I finished the 1.0 oz per 10 gallon ratio and it is still 30-40* outside. Well I averaged 25.8 MPG. That is over 2 MPG gain. I just put the 1.5 oz per 10 gallon ratio in there. In a few days I will let you know what I get. I talked to a Engineer about this and he said no way will it work....he was wrong. Ill let you know in a few days what is up.

What's the uncertainty of your MPG measurement? I'll bet it's over 2 MPG which means your gain isn't statistically significant.

Matt95GT
05-02-2005, 09:50 PM
The first time it drips on somewhere it shouldn't, you'll change your mind on its benefits.

What's the uncertainty of your MPG measurement? I'll bet it's over 2 MPG which means your gain isn't statistically significant.

And the placebo effect... often happens that you know you trying for better gas mileage and drive lighter.

93 GT
05-04-2005, 01:59 PM
SilverGAGT04 , I can`t wait to see you`r outcome , it might be worth a try on my mothers E150 that gets 17 MPG .

DrFabulous
05-04-2005, 03:42 PM
17? You complain about 17? Damn. Our 86 Ford Cargo Van got about 8mpg on the ol inline 6.

I wouldn't spend money on this product, personally. There's too much crap out there that "increases mpg" for me to believe in any of them right now.

Twisted_Reality
05-04-2005, 03:53 PM
Yeah read something about it a few weeks ago but its not something i would ever try.

93 GT
05-04-2005, 04:46 PM
I wasn`t complaining , I have gotten 18 mpg out of it towing a small boat once but I used a very light foot. I know thats great milage for a V8 carbed (302 2 barrel , auto w/ overdrive) 6,000 lb chunk of steel. It would be nice to get better milage out of it though. If nothing else that stuff should clean all the carbon and crap out of the engine.

DrFabulous
05-04-2005, 05:31 PM
Meh, I'd just pour a can of sea-foam in it every couple months. We do that for every car we have with over 100k on the clock. We have like 15 cans in the garage right now. :)

jluvs2ride
05-10-2005, 11:36 AM
I followed this all over the internet and decided to try it. I drove 209 miles approx. 150 of those miles on I95 using cruise at about 80 mph, the rest were to work and back and around town. I then added 2 oz of acetone, and topped off my tank. milage at this point was about 25.5. I then drove about 214 miles w/150 of those miles on I95 using cruise at about 80 mph, the rest were to work and back and around town. After topping off my tank, milage w/acetone was about 24.5. This small difference I attribute some slight difference in driveing and traffic patterns.

Any thoughts?

tonystewart
05-10-2005, 01:18 PM
Has anyone thought about the after affects of doing this to your car? Hey, I heard if you add sugar to you tank it will make your car hyper! (please don't, i don't want to be responsible for anyone blowing their engine) Seriously people. Be careful. If you really want to save on gas get a K&N air filter. You'll save at least 3-5 mpg.

MagusXIII
05-10-2005, 03:15 PM
If you really want to save on gas get a K&N air filter. You'll save at least 3-5 mpg.
Switching to synthetic oil can gain a couple extra MPG. But if you really want to get the best MPG gain, I have a sure fire method. Replace the lead in your foot with helium! lol

Zique7
05-10-2005, 08:19 PM
Has anyone thought about the after affects of doing this to your car? Hey, I heard if you add sugar to you tank it will make your car hyper! (please don't, i don't want to be responsible for anyone blowing their engine) Seriously people. Be careful. If you really want to save on gas get a K&N air filter. You'll save at least 3-5 mpg.

From what I've heard around here, adding acetone eats at your valves. Now is the supposed "gain" really beneficial?

jluvs2ride
05-11-2005, 10:02 AM
I discussed this at length w/a chemical engineer at work. He said the idea was to increase the vapor pressure in the gas by adding a more volatile componant, causing the gas to vaporise more readily. He assured me that the concentration was so low it was unlikely to damage anything in my fuel system and that it burned extremely clean would leave no damaging combustion byproducts.

I am unimpressed by this experiment and do not plan to repeat it anyway.

SilverGAGT04
05-14-2005, 01:37 PM
I finished the 1.5 oz per 10 gallon ratio and drove it hard. I keep seeing that you all think I am driving easier. About 60% highway and 40% city and was driving like a morion. Doing the math I got 24.9 MPG. Yes, I know about the paint removal property of Acetone. I was not driving lighter or easier on the last test either. I was using the same pump and not topping off. I was setting the lock and waiting for the pump to click. Each pump has a vacuum switch set to a set backpressure. So everytime I fill up it would stop at the same amount. So I doubt the math is wrong. I am going to be starting the 2.0 oz per 10 gallon ratio today. I see some of you think I'm not smart for doing this and that is your opinion but I think negative comments should be left to yourselves.

O and how is acetone going to eat steel valves and not plastic fuel line? That makes no sense.

GTwannabe
05-15-2005, 09:34 AM
Hey Silver, I heard Acetone can eat at titanium but harmlessly affect plastics!!! :smokin: please keep us posted on the 2 oz exp. Gonna try it myself!

SilverGAGT04
05-17-2005, 08:37 PM
That is interesting and had no idea that could happen. I will have to research that. I will let you know what happens with the 2 oz mix.

jluvs2ride
05-29-2005, 04:14 PM
Ok, I just took my CRKT folding knife out of an acetone bath where it has been for two days.
It is an M16-14T made of Stainless steel w/titanium handles. It was completely unaffected by the acetone, except that it needed to be lubricated since the acetone washed out the little bit of oil in the joints. Before conducting this experiment I did consult my chemical engineer friend who assured me that just exposure to acetone would not harm any type of metal.

BigTaters
05-29-2005, 05:44 PM
acetone? wtf i would stay away from that shiat.. i used to use it at work in 50 gallon drums to clean glue and strip paint. that stuff it lethal. and super flamable. might not wreck the fuel tank but i cant see it being too good for the ol fuel pump. It sure ate the parts in our glue gun and pump when we cleaned it out.. hense we stopped using it for that.

that resister.. is that the same thing someone had posted a few years ago? cause i did that it was supposed to give more power i remember.(if it is the same one??) but i just noticed it sucked my gas back more and then lots of people on here said it didnt do squat so i took it out and havent even noticed a difference in anything lol.. i dunno if it is the same thing.. sure sounds like it though.

SilverGAGT04
05-29-2005, 05:53 PM
Alright, the 2 oz ratio was the exact same mileage as the 1.5 oz ratio.

GMC_DUDE
05-30-2005, 06:00 PM
Seriously, I personally would be very hesitant about putting that stuff in any of my vehicles. As anyone who has used it knows, acetone dissolves a lot of plastics and synthetic substances. True, with that small an amount there won't be any noticeable damage the first few tankfuls, but after, say, 9 months or so of steady use, I suspect there may be some serious long term issues surfacing. However, it is your car ...

SilverGAGT04
06-04-2005, 03:40 PM
The 2.5 oz ratio provided 25.1 MPG.

Panacea
06-04-2005, 04:15 PM
The 2.5 oz ratio provided 25.1 MPG.

So is it safe to assume you drove the exact same path every day, bringing the car up to the same RPM range every time you accelerated, sat in traffic at the same point, for the same amount of time too? Only when you've done this will you be able to get a true, accurate, result.

Jagey
06-05-2005, 07:41 PM
acetone is a solvent that I believe is known to dissolve plastics, thus it is pretty scary to use around a car completely made of plastic. Furthermore acetone has a lower boiling point, meaning that it evaporates pretty quick. Acetone isn't going to help you.

SilverGAGT04
06-06-2005, 06:59 PM
Since I found it to work on my car, and since most everyone on here doesn't believe it or just want to pick apart my research, I will stop documenting my findings on here. I have been running this stuff in my car for 3000 miles. If it was going to break something, it would have done it by now.

videoman
06-06-2005, 08:41 PM
Only the poor minded doubt that which they have not tried yet. I might give this acetone trick a try cause it does make some sence. Please keep the info posted and dont let the others bother you.

claypigeon
06-06-2005, 08:50 PM
I read in Motor trend i think, that one can achieve like 500 mpg by using pure alcohol. By adding Acetone I think it uses the same concept as this as if I remember some chemistry they're either similar or the same, whatever. Cars don't run on alcohol because oil's cheaper and because it hurts the engine moreso than regular gas does. So though acetone does work in theory i believe, it may screw with the engine a bit

Ronin
06-19-2005, 09:15 AM
just try out to put some acetone on a plastic tube or some other rubber part of your car. wait 10 secs and watch what hapens.

then ask again if it is a good idea to put acetone in your car.

:stupid:

SkiZZor
06-19-2005, 12:19 PM
just try out to put some acetone on a plastic tube or some other rubber part of your car. wait 10 secs and watch what hapens.

then ask again if it is a good idea to put acetone in your car.

:stupid:

Sure, acetone can harm plastics and rubber, but last time I checked, the engine internals and fuel system are made entirely out of metal. And it has been proven that acetone does not harm metals in the article, so your statement is invalid. Did you know that gasoline can dissolve plastics and asphalt too? I guess you won't be filling up at the station next time. :rolleyes:

Besides, you are using such a small amount. Sure, acetone can mess up rubber and plastic, but that is if you are using pure acetone. It is diluted with the gasoline so much where it would do minimal to no damage to plastics. And since engines are not made of plastic, I think there is no need to worry.

Ronin
06-20-2005, 12:47 AM
then be sure to mix it w/ the fuel before filling it into the car. lots of parts that are in contact with the fuel are made of plastics - just take a look in the hole and you can even see plastic - if american versions are not different from mine...

i dislike that idea not only for solving plastics, it flushes away oil, too... so i don't want to imagine if anyone who reads this post will put ~30 ml of acetone in his car, and start his engine.....

acetone doesnt mix w/ fuel btw. coz fuel isn't polar enough. so it will be in pure cocentration in the car. the desity of acetone is a lil higher as of fuel so the fuel will be swimming on it in your fuel tank - i'm not quite sure if even your fuel pump will survive that, so plz do me a favor - if you really wanna do stuff like that:

CHECK IT W/ A JAPANESE CAR, NOT W/ N-BODY ;)

mr_eh
09-08-2005, 04:23 AM
http://www.lubedev.com/smartgas/faq.htm

Ajaxus
09-08-2005, 07:08 AM
CHECK IT W/ A JAPANESE CAR, NOT W/ N-BODY ;)

best idea yet :winner:

D0M1N8R
09-09-2005, 10:48 PM
If you really want to save on gas get a K&N air filter. You'll save at least 3-5 mpg.

This in my case was not true. The first week I drove my car with 30K miles on it I thought the gas milage was bad getting 25 or so MPG. I read somewhere that intake might be a issue and checked the filter. The filter was a little dirty and I bought a K&N because the site I bought it from said it would improve gas milage. To my supprise it made absolute no diffrence. A little more research basically confirmed my experience. The paper filter work better then oil based filter right at first. How ever the oil based filter works better then paper filter after X amount of miles. Forgot what X was. 1500? 3000? Anyway point is if your replacing the old filter periodicly rather then running it for 20,000 miles then you wont notice any improvement.
I just had to clean my K&N filter yesturday with just under about 15,000 miles on it. After that I think I will go back to the cheap filters because the cleaning process really isnt that much fun and I used over half of the fluids that cost me $10 + shipping (K&N recharge kit) so the savings over the cheap filter over time is not even worth the trouble.
Just my opinion. l8z.

2K2GAGT1BQE
09-10-2005, 08:43 AM
Good reading.....

http://www.fuelsaving.info/atomisation.htm

my99gt
11-12-2005, 04:13 PM
I heard about mixing acetone with gas a while back....my dad has since had the courage to try this...he is currently driving a 99 GMC Sonoma [Vortec V6]. He has seen an increase in his mpg of about +3 ( 22mpg before - 25 mpg with the acetone added ). You have to be careful about the amount added to your tank. Most sites recommend putting approx. 2oz per 10 gallons and no more than 3oz. I have a 99 GA GT that I am going to experiment with.

XDRKMANX
11-24-2005, 07:02 PM
The acetone will dissolve the polycarbonate plastics in your fuel filter and will also attack nitrile rubbers found in fuel lines. These can clog you fuel injectors and your pickup filters in the gas tank. The dissolving rubber also may coat the fuel pump armature and the activated charcoal in the onboard emissions vapor control device. In addition weakened fuel hoses my rupture creating a fire hazard.

DoCDooM
01-04-2006, 09:27 PM
:banghead
Ok people, I have been following this particular issue for over a year now and I have some pertinent information for everyone.

First off, to all the gloom and doomers out there, Acetone is a hydrocarbon petrol product distilled (refined) from crude oil in the same fashion as gasoline, diesel, kerosene, motor oil etc etc etc.

Nothing foul is going to happen to your engine, seals, gaskets, injectors etc etc etc just because you add a bit of acetone to your tank, if you want proof pick up a can---
(FYI acetone is quite volatile compared to other mineral spirits based products and should only be available in a metal can or something comparable, plastic containers such as gas cans will not contain it reliably as it leeches right through after a short time.)
--- and take a VERY SMALL SNIFF of the contents from a distance just to be familiar with the scent, it's acetone my friends and it can burn brain cells faster than Cystal Meth and lung cells in just no time at all!

If you pick up ANY of the "Off the shelf" fuel system treatments you will find that the contents are all described as "Mineral Spirits" or "Petroleum Distillates" See the beginning of the message for the reference to the oil refining process.

I have tried most of the products available on the market purely out of curiosity and have found that about two thirds of the "Octane Boosters" and fuel treatments out there contain little more than kerosene and fuel stabilizers the remaining third of the products are newer and far more expensive, all claim to increase horsepower and fuel economy and all contain a percentage of acetone, just open the bottle (most are metal by the way) the smell will escape the bottle immediately and is unmistakable.
(REMEMBER DON'T STAND THERE SNIFFING AWAY...you'll pass out)

All of these products demand that you add an entire bottle to every tank of gas.

Now that the technical aspects are out of the way here is some history;

Adding acetone to your fuel is a VERY old racing trick for getting a few more laps and a bit more punch out of a tank of fuel and in racing every little bit counts.

This old trick is time tested by the people who really know their stuff, I first heard about it 12 years ago from a guy who used to race and has run a shop building racing engines for 30 years, he really knows his stuff.

With the history out of the way here is some practical information for everyone, TOO MUCH acetone will burn your rings, valves and valve seats, too little will have no appreciable effect on you economy or performance, the 1 Oz per 10 gallons rule is right in the useful range.

Plain old pure acetone (ONLY use the pure stuff, nail polish remover will destroy your engine before you finish the tank) can be purchased in any good hardware store in the paint section for about $10 Canadian for 2 litres or about $8 US for half a gallon, comparatively the acetone based fuel additives run about twice that price for a bottle of diluted acetone which has to be used up in one tank, nice profit margin there isn't it?

Finally, on a somewhat distantly related topic, I happen to be the (for the most part) happy owner of a 2002 GAGT RAMair, all stock which suffers from the "sticky fuel gauge" problem which GM last year blamed on the quality of the gasolene which was being used.

While I am truly disgusted with GM's inability to get something a simple as a fuel sending unit right after close to 80 years in the business I am happy to report that my gas gauge has started working quite well since I started adding a wee dram of acetone to the tank, I've also enjoyed slightly increased gas mileage, a smoother throttle response, DEFINITELY more power and easier starts.

In synopsis, it works, if you are careful it wont hurt your car and it's cheaper than premium gas with the same effect.

Mind you all, I am not advising the use of factory unapproved additives and am NOT responsible for the results (good or bad) of any experiments you may wish to try, I am providing you with the results of my own experiments with my own daily driver (the 86 RX-7 is the REALLY fun toy) which is equipped with a smooth and perfectly running 120,000 Km 3600 engine.

Have fun and be careful out there friends.

Yours

Dan:applause:

D0M1N8R
01-05-2006, 06:55 PM
Thanks a lot Doc.. I've followed it through for a short while before deciding not to do it. Just way to many people that advise against it made me decide it may not be worth the risk and realize should I wreck something on my car I really dont have the money to fix it.