1997 Pontiac Grand AM GT crazy noises.. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 1997 Pontiac Grand AM GT crazy noises..

SilverWolF
04-28-2005, 09:34 AM
1997 Grand Am GT 2.4L 5spd 74k

so just took my car and had the cat replaced because it clogged and was still under warranty. only codes reading in the computer where for the cat being at max threshhold.

now i pick the car up and on acceleration there is a grinding sound like a hollow grinding and a lil bit of vibration and it all sounds like it's coming from mid center of the car or the rear... it only tends to do this in 1st and 2nd gear very rarely in any others. any ideas on what it could be?

also just this morning my check engine light came on with 2 codes one being p1133 which is for the o2 sensor bank 1 and the other was for cylinder 4 misfire plugs looked a lil ratty so i'm doing them and the caps. my next question would be where is the o2 sensor located lol.

Matt95GT
04-28-2005, 12:01 PM
now i pick the car up and on acceleration there is a grinding sound like a hollow grinding and a lil bit of vibration and it all sounds like it's coming from mid center of the car or the rear... it only tends to do this in 1st and 2nd gear very rarely in any others. any ideas on what it could be?

Sounds like your replacement cat is no good and rattles, or it and/or something on the exhaust system is hitting the heat shielding. In either case, take it back and make em fix it right.

If you have a misfire, the richness is most likely causing the additional O2 code.

SilverWolF
04-28-2005, 09:59 PM
Thanks i will check it out tomorrow about the heat shielding and see,

did the plugs n changed those lil rubber boots and the sensor codes went away.

Woot!